By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One cloud is 'one area console has advantage over PS4', says Avalanche tech lead

Didn't get a chance to use Gaikia unfortunately, used onLive for a little while, and it worked ok on strategy games, but when i played games such as AC, it just wasnt graphically good enough. I am sure some people wouldn't mind, but certainly in open world games for me its all about the world and how good it looks...

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Really good article on Eurogamer - to sum it up, from things that a typical game engine cycle consists of:

- Game physics (update models)
- Triangle setup and optimization
- Tessellation
- Texturing
- Shading
- Various render passes
- Lighting calculations
- Post effects
- Immediate AI
- Ambient (world) AI
- Immediate physics (shots, collisions)
- Ambient physics

things that seem suited for running on cloud:

- ambient background tasks
- some forms of lighting (though it seems only for static environments)
- background AI

How many multiplatform games will use it? I'm guessing zero-ish.

hasonap said:

The Eurogamer article tells us specifically that AI and lighting are some of the ´parts of a game that could use the cloud so I really don't understand the guys saying it's PR shit.

The Avalanche dev didn't say we are going to push more polygons nor did he talk about adding pixels or additional details he was talking about an open World game(JC3) that relies heavily on AI and since AI is not latency dependent it could actually work pretty good

That stuff's fine, it's the over the top comments (e.g. 40x more powerful than 360, 5 Tflops of power available!) that make people say it's PR bullshit.

This is a new technology that has some promise, but MS are using it to deflect from the core specs (as on paper they appear weaker than the competition) but are pushing the limits of believability in some of their statements. It's the same thing Sony did with PS3; great potential in the technology but inflated marketing.

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:

Its laready started

I have 74meg with no caps.

best I could get 12 months ago was 7meg and a 50gig monthly cap.

This new package is cheaper too.

Capacity and speed is increasing rapidly,  what was it like at the start of this gen...? 8 years ago.

I'm sure speeds like that aren't affordable to the average American. Besides, you said yourself that you're loaded didn't you? You can't possibly think everyone has what you have. 8-years from now things will definitely look different, but we never really know. Basically, "The Cloud" isn't enough to nullify the power advantage the PS4 has. You agree?

no idea.

neither have you

It costs me £25 a month... including 75meg download speed, 15meg upload, uncapped, land line rental and unlimited evening and weekend national telephone calls (not that I ever use my home phone)

basically... its cheap.

You're in the UK right?

Which ISP are you with and is that a first year deal only? That seems like a pretty sweet deal otherwise.

Around the Network
Madword said:
The average speed of home broadband is now 12Mbps.. its taken 4 years to get to this speed, when the average before was 3.6.

Huh? Not according to the DF article:

well it should make a difference with online only games where you log into the game client, in small managebale ways it could prove usefull. but that means the game is tied constantly to a connection

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:

The PR speak is beyond annoying at this point. If you want to know how exactly cloud computing will be used in the XBox and if it is even feasible, I suggest you read this Eurogamer article on the subject. Do you research and form your own opinions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

How about we wait and see how it develops?  if anyone can afford to build this.... MS can.  Nobody else in the gaming industry has the funds.

The point of this article was to say MS is best placed... thats obvious and undeniable.

Dont panic... it might come to nothing.

At this point though, it's mostly out of MS' hands. They already have the servers and data centers in place to make it happen, they're now relying on global internet infrastructure to catch up. There's only do so much they can in that respect.

Scoobes said:
Madword said:
The average speed of home broadband is now 12Mbps.. its taken 4 years to get to this speed, when the average before was 3.6.

Huh? Not according to the DF article:

Using a BBC article that was talking about UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21785383

Their article is talking about top 10?

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Mmmfishtacos said:
hasonap said:

Exactly what I said a page ago but nobody seemed to listen :P

Btw a 200mbit/s steady line in Sweden costs me 30$ ! At the start of this gen I paid 40$ for 5mbit/s. Sure this may be sweden but just look at the numbers and apply them on other countries and you've got yourself a good investment in some years

Whether Xbox One games perform will better than PS4 titles (or vice-versa), however, is "too early to say," Blomberg adds.

"I think [Xbox One and PS4] will be very similar in the end," Blomberg says. "Of course, if we find areas where either platform is particularly strong then we'll take advantage of that. But it's too early to say if our games will look better on any of the two platforms. All I can say is that there's potential for visually stunning games on both platforms."

even he states it right here. They don't even know for sure that it will be better. 

from my perspective i see this whole cloud debate as the sony corner really just want to be on top.  its like microsoft is doing it it sucks, it dont work, and so on.  when sony bought gaikai  and all it's cloud prowess the souny corner cheered it on.  it's the best thing in the world (whew almost inserted some political commentary since its soooo similar)

this is how a rational gamer would take away from the article.  they would wish it work great for microsoft why?  because if succesful sony can implement the same thing.  isnt one of sony slogans believe?  what if this cloud stuff did work.  what could a ps4 cloud game do?  i like new tech all i see since the xbox one launch it's bash anything microsoft touch.  right or wrong.

always on. ps4 always on

tv tv tv from the people that bluray bluray bluray

i could go on but its pointless.  dont let fanaticism blind you from the possibilities regardless of where it from.