By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One cloud is 'one area console has advantage over PS4', says Avalanche tech lead

MMO + Cloud Based = Awesome.

This will definitely future proof (for awhile atleast) the Xbox One.

I mean, can you not see this feature become awesome, say 3 years down the road? Does it have to be the best thing since sliced bread, right away?

Heck, I could see Sony do the same thing as MS later on in the lifecycle. 10 year lifespan could be very feasible. Think about how different the Internet is today, as opposed to 5 years/10 years ago?

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:

I mean, can you not see this feature become awesome, say 3 years down the road? Does it have to be the best thing since sliced bread, right away?

Heck, I could see Sony do the same thing as MS later on in the lifecycle. 10 year lifespan could be very feasible. Think about how different the Internet is today, as opposed to 5 years/10 years ago?

Sony won't do cloud computing as they are actually releasing console that lets you play games offline.

KillerMan said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

Sony won't do cloud computing as they are actually releasing console that lets you play games offline.

They have the prefect platform to potentially do this in the future.  I dont see why they wouldnt.  Doesnt matter what else they are releasing.

Mmmfishtacos said:
hasonap said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Whether Xbox One games perform will better than PS4 titles (or vice-versa), however, is "too early to say," Blomberg adds.

"I think [Xbox One and PS4] will be very similar in the end," Blomberg says. "Of course, if we find areas where either platform is particularly strong then we'll take advantage of that. But it's too early to say if our games will look better on any of the two platforms. All I can say is that there's potential for visually stunning games on both platforms."

even he states it right here. They don't even know for sure that it will be better. 

I agree with him on that because we still haven't seen any game take advantage of the full power of either console. 

But what the main thing in this article is trying to acomplish is simply that there is a big potential for some things in games to take advantage of the cloud - its not for pixels, not for polygons and certainly not physics but things that are fixed like the lightning or the additional AI in the background in open world games.

This is where the cloud could shine and I am highlighting could because I myself am not sure how that's going to happen(current internet situation) but I am not dismissing it before seeing it like all lot of other guys are doing on this thread so you can remain sceptical or whatever but please don't just dismiss something before even seeing an example of it in real-time.

I'm not our right dismissing it, but to say it has an advantage over the ps4 raw horse power is false and more than of a crutch than an advantage.

This graph for gaf should clear things up or make it more cloudy..

I never said it had an advantage nor did MS or the Avalance dev, everyone is saying that it COULD give an advantage - probably down the road.  Ms said that they could possibly make your Xbox more powerful by using outside Power and thats it, its up to the developer if they want to use that power or not.

Lets just pretend that MS releases a game with Mini. req that you have xx mbit/s for you to use certain aspects in the game, if that would include a lot of processing in the cloud it would mean that they had an advantage. But we know that kind of game isn't going to be created(outside the MMO -genre)

Ssenkahdavic said:

I think gamers in general, not all, are very short sited or stubborn. Xbox One is a great machine and it just needs some adjustment in policies.

All this s***storm created by us( gaming community) is unnecessary to a point and shows a lot of immaturity. Surely I'm concerned over bunch of rumors but I'd rather go to the petition way than make false accusations.

Around the Network

But why even do it this way. Why not use the cloud power to completely render the game and stream it to your system. Gaikia could do it, and it would mean it could be more powerful than anything on the market for years to come.

Mmmfishtacos said:

But why even do it this way. Why not use the cloud power to completely render the game and stream it to your system. Gaikia could do it, and it would mean it could be more powerful than anything on the market for years to come.

Rendering of graphics/displays is already done using onLive, and even application services like Terminal Server and Citrix, unfortunately as onlive has shown (and anyone who uses terminal services/citrix) its just not fast enough yet for high quality graphics. But in terms of data, graphics is certainly a higher bandwidth than small amounts of processed data.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Mmmfishtacos said:

Why not do this too? I'm guessing ms already has a OnLive type of thing that they are still developing but in the mean time why not use the cloud as a benefit to possibly get better NPCs for example? Its hardly going to make the game any worse.

Madword said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Rendering of graphics/displays is already done using onLive, and even application services like Terminal Server and Citrix, unfortunately as onlive has shown (and anyone who uses terminal services/citrix) its just not fast enough yet for high quality graphics. But in terms of data, graphics is certainly a higher bandwidth than small amounts of processed data.

Yeah i get that, but did you use gaikia before they pulled it down? It was pretty impressive even over my sorry internet connection at the time. Now that i have an upgraded connection I’m really interested in what it could do. 

I really see a future in cloud computing, but only when bandwidth is good enough to handle it. I am interested to see what MS and Sony will do with it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)