By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One cloud is 'one area console has advantage over PS4', says Avalanche tech lead

kowenicki said:

Its laready started

I have 74meg with no caps.

best I could get 12 months ago was 7meg and a 50gig monthly cap.

This new package is cheaper too.

Capacity and speed is increasing rapidly,  what was it like at the start of this gen...? 8 years ago.

I'm sure speeds like that aren't affordable to the average American. Besides, you said yourself that you're loaded didn't you? You can't possibly think everyone has what you have. 8-years from now things will definitely look different, but we never really know. Basically, "The Cloud" isn't enough to nullify the power advantage the PS4 has. You agree?

Around the Network

Yeah, well, I think developers will stick to what they put inside the box.

Multimedialover said:
Nice. Ill listen to an actual developer who intends on using the cloud for processing over a guy who works for df at eurogamer. Rofl. But if you want to listen to an editor and not a third party pub who is gonna use then yeah cool.

You really should read the article, because it's Digital foundry that gives all the info and they know their shit. 

Man some of you won't let the xbox have anything positive said about it.

kowenicki said:

stop with the quote trees.

assuming better bandowth and no caps... whis is better placed to serve the market?

Says the guy who is doing quote trees also...lol

If you are going to go in fantasy situations, where global internet connections arn't an issue, and no one has distance issues from exchange, and everyone is connected.... and the ISP's dont have traffic issues, and everyone can have best bandwidth with no caps.... then yes you are right, MS will be in the best position to deliver cloud computing..  

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

@fishtacco.

on phone sorry.

i will listen to a guy who has the full details from Microsoft. Has a devkit and is currently using that devkit. He knows more than a guy a df. And is gonna use these features.

i understand not everywhere is good internet.
but in the uk there's more than 5 isps all offering unlimited data, with 20mbps at as low as £9.99/month. Competition is crazy. We even have 100mb bb readily available in all major cities via virgin with no data limit.

Madword said:
kowenicki said:

stop with the quote trees.

assuming better bandowth and no caps... whis is better placed to serve the market?

Says the guy who is doing quote trees also...lol

If you are going to go in fantasy situations, where global internet connections arn't an issue, and no one has distance issues from exchange, and everyone is connected.... and the ISP's dont have traffic issues, and everyone can have best bandwidth with no caps.... then yes you are right, MS will be in the best position to deliver cloud computing..  

We would like everyone to keep quoting to a maximum of 3 quotes (because we've been having a lot of trouble with huge quote trees). So please keep that in mind.

Thank you.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=160420&page=1

Multimedialover said:
@fishtacco.

on phone sorry.

i will listen to a guy who has the full details from Microsoft. Has a devkit and is currently using that devkit. He knows more than a guy a df. And is gonna use these features.

but in the uk there's more than 5 isps all offering unlimited data, with 20mbps at as low as £9.99/month. Competition is crazy. We even have 100mb bb readily available in all major cities via virgin with no data limit.

Dude, it's just MS pr. That’s all. It's not even feasible for even someone that has a great connection to make any significant difference in what you'll see in the game. They can off load a very small portion of computing task for stuff that doesn’t need to be on the fly. It's not going to make a difference when comparing to a ps4 game that doesn’t use cloud computing. Read the article it worth the time

Multimedialover said:
@fishtacco.

on phone sorry.

I would say, how often have we heard people say positive things about certain things they are involved in.... it wouldnt be the first, and wont be the last (and i am not just talking about MS, talking about all consoles/products). I mean do we remember the original Kinect PR spin and videos? How did that turn out... nothing like what was shown/talked about... you could also say the Cell didnt live up to what Sony had in mind... there are many other examples.

If you have spotty internet across the world (and USA is particularly bad), you have a game made by 3rd party company A, how would you make use of cloud computing, knowing full well that many may not be able to get a benefit of it. You can't easily do this. So say you move AI/Lighting to the cloud, you need a backup plan because what happens if the user cannot get to the internet or its particularly slow... so would you do this on one platform, when you are making a game for three platforms? Dev's wouldnt bother unless its 1st party.

So many issues with the whole cloud issue, and thats whats good about the Eurogamer article, it goes through them and says its still very unclear how this will be used.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

@fishtacco

but its not ms pr. This guy in this article is not from Microsoft. The fact he is excited by it means its not some ms pr fabrication. This guy intends on using it for things like ai, cloth and physics.

i read the other article. And at no time do df claim they have seen any info on the cloud system Microsoft are using. Or seem to have any idea what these devs speaking out about good things actually know.

again. Ill listen to this non Microsoft dev who clearly sees processing benefit.