By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could The Xbox One Struggle To Beat The GameCube's Sales..?

Will the One outsell the GameCube..?

Yes, easily 58 44.27%

Yes, but it's going to be close 19 14.50%

Depends on software 21 16.03%

No 33 25.19%

Total:131
sales2099 said:
snowdog said:

The more time goes on since the Xbox One reveal the more negative information filters through: Anti-consumerism with regards to used games, anti-privacy with Kinect always being on and now it's been revealed that the One is going to be region locked.

Microsoft seem to be doing everything they can to fuck up this console launch.

I can see both the PS4 and One being over $400, my personal guesstimate - considering the hardware we know that's in each machine and Kinect/camera bar included with every console - would be $499.99.

Given the anti-consumerism, (likely) high retail price and anti-privacy I personally think that even if the One has the best E3 in Microsoft's history with the best software since sliced bread that the console is REALLY going to struggle to sell. I can't see it selling over 30m myself and may even struggle to beat the 21m sales that the GameCube managed.

What do you think..?

BS. Rumors have allready been addressed and debunked.

- Kinect can be turned off in privacy settings

- No fee for used games,

- Can still trade in games normally

Its just the once per day internet check in (which will be addressed I assure you), and the DRM (lending games to a friend without signing in to your own profile), which Sony is rumored to do themselves.

3 cons down, 2 to go (1 if Sony adopts DRM too, thus cancelling it out).

Microsoft guys have been contradicting each others for days. Why do you only keep the rumours that pleases you ?

Around the Network

All these negative predictions toward XBOX One area a bit premature. All I know is that their core audience bus video games more than any other core group.Microsoft will be just fine. Though I'd love to see Sony back on top again so maybe shooters won't be the predominant genre next generation.

RenCutypoison said:
sales2099 said:
snowdog said:

The more time goes on since the Xbox One reveal the more negative information filters through: Anti-consumerism with regards to used games, anti-privacy with Kinect always being on and now it's been revealed that the One is going to be region locked.

I can see both the PS4 and One being over $400, my personal guesstimate - considering the hardware we know that's in each machine and Kinect/camera bar included with every console - would be $499.99.

Given the anti-consumerism, (likely) high retail price and anti-privacy I personally think that even if the One has the best E3 in Microsoft's history with the best software since sliced bread that the console is REALLY going to struggle to sell. I can't see it selling over 30m myself and may even struggle to beat the 21m sales that the GameCube managed.

What do you think..?

- No fee for used games,

Its just the once per day internet check in (which will be addressed I assure you), and the DRM (lending games to a friend without signing in to your own profile), which Sony is rumored to do themselves.

Microsoft guys have been contradicting each others for days. Why do you only keep the rumours that pleases you ?

Why do haters only keep the rumors that please them?

Difference is I believe MS is at its core, trying to please everyone. The sales do depend on willing money spenders after all.

The haters just wanna watch them fail.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

- No fee for used games,

- Kinect can be "turned off"... but what does this mean? The problem people have isn't so much whether it's permanently on, but whether it's forced to be on for certain functions. They aren't concerned with the idea that Kinect might be watching them masturbate, but that Kinect is going to be used to control the number of people you can have watching a movie, or to force people to watch ads, etc.

- No "fee" for used games - what that means is "if you buy a game from a recognised used game retailer (meaning: ones that have signed a deal with MS), there will be no additional fee - it's built into the price you paid to the retailer". That's why the VP spoke of the fee for installing the game on another system, and then the support team said no fee for "used games" - they were referring to "official" used games.

- You can trade in games, but only to recognised used game retailers (no option to sell on private market), and practically guaranteed to be peanuts in terms of offered price.

You seem to have bought MS's PR spin. In each of these cases, MS have said one thing, and then changed what they said a short time later. And in each case, it was designed to sound like MS never really meant what it said, when in reality they aren't addressing the actual concerns. Like a politician going "We need to end the war", when their intent to do so is to go all-out offensive to beat the enemy into submission.

Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:

- No fee for used games,

- Kinect can be "turned off"... but what does this mean? The problem people have isn't so much whether it's permanently on, but whether it's forced to be on for certain functions. They aren't concerned with the idea that Kinect might be watching them masturbate, but that Kinect is going to be used to control the number of people you can have watching a movie, or to force people to watch ads, etc.

- No "fee" for used games - what that means is "if you buy a game from a recognised used game retailer (meaning: ones that have signed a deal with MS), there will be no additional fee - it's built into the price you paid to the retailer". That's why the VP spoke of the fee for installing the game on another system, and then the support team said no fee for "used games" - they were referring to "official" used games.

- You can trade in games, but only to recognised used game retailers (no option to sell on private market), and practically guaranteed to be peanuts in terms of offered price.

You seem to have bought MS's PR spin. In each of these cases, MS have said one thing, and then changed what they said a short time later. And in each case, it was designed to sound like MS never really meant what it said, when in reality they aren't addressing the actual concerns. Like a politician going "We need to end the war", when their intent to do so is to go all-out offensive to beat the enemy into submission.

There is no universal ruling on these things granted and MS has to get their story straight on this stuff. It is at this point seeing this from a glass half full or empty perspective. I chose the former. Sorry if this displeases you.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I don't think it will have a problem outselling the GameCube in North America alone. Sadly.

My god is this for real? How the hell can such a mass population on this site not understand that we have had a hundred threads already  all stating the same freaking things?
Seriously has someone watched The Newsroom here? The main character in the TV-series goes out to tell the "world" on what's real and what's not so real and let me tell you something a buttload of BS coming from every thread maker this past week is just false or it's either keeping away the counterargument. 

Every rumor has either been a bad one which then get's squashed by a good one and vice versa which leads me to the conclusion that these threads which is all based on rumors that either are only bad or only good should just stop.

Rencutyposios asks: Why do you only keep the rumours that pleases you ?

Wouldn't the other guy who's argumenting against you say the same?
I mean if you start a new thread where the only rumors that are included are the bad ones aren't you really doing the same thing? - You are choosing the rumors that makes your thread valid without including the rumors that makes some part of your thread invalid.

sales2099 said:
There is no universal ruling on these things granted and MS has to get their story straight on this stuff. It is at this point seeing this from a glass half full or empty perspective. I chose the former. Sorry if this displeases you.

I choose to be realistic. As I pointed out in another thread, all of it is exactly what I expected to eventually see from Microsoft. It fits their overall behaviour to a T, and the timing of their "corrections" screams of damage control PR. This isn't glass half empty or glass half full, this is MS failing to address the actual concerns raised by gamers, and instead using talking points that make it sound like they're addressing the concerns.

It isn't that MS haven't gotten their story straight. Everything they've said has been consistent, if you pay close enough attention. And what they've said is what I've described.

sales2099 said:
RenCutypoison said:
sales2099 said:
snowdog said:

What do you think..?

- No fee for used games,

Difference is I believe MS is at its core, trying to please everyone. The sales do depend on willing money spenders after all.

Dat logic, they wasted millions in R&D for DRMs and would stop, 6 months from launch because of a bad feedback ? Or all this is a misunderstanding ?

RenCutypoison said:
sales2099 said:
RenCutypoison said:
sales2099 said:
snowdog said:

What do you think..?

- No fee for used games,

Dat logic, they wasted millions in R&D for DRMs and would stop, 6 months from launch because of a bad feedback ? Or all this is a misunderstanding ?

Bad feedback forces changes in businesses all time from different industries, R&D be damned.