By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will have better graphics: Drive Club or Forza 5? - OP UPDATED with recent media

Which will have better graphics?

DriveClub (PS4) 470 56.02%

Forza 5 (X1) 225 26.82%

They will look identical 48 5.72%

See results 96 11.44%

Total:839
Nsanity said:
How many frames does Drive Club run at?

The E3 demo was a  35% complete build, and it was having issues maintaining 30fps at times. It's still not confirmed, but I think they will settle for 1080p/30fps. I don't know what fps has to do with "better graphics" though. GT5 runs at 60fps, does that make its graphics better than Drive Club's or Need for Speed Rivals'? Are COD graphics better than Killzone 2/3's, Crysis 2/3's? Your question is totally irrelevant to this thread.

Around the Network

I really don´t understand why Evolution studio wasted so much ressources on the dynamic lighting and weather...Forza 5 looks hands down better and even has the 60 fps advantage (and that on weaker hardware)...
But I heard elsewhere that Evolution is pretty good at polishing the graphics in the last months...so maybe they still have an ace up their sleeve !

Yes, and Forza doesn't have dynamic lightning or weather or day/night shifts.

You saying that they don't need those?

pezus said:
walsufnir said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

What does people trashing unfinished code have to do with anything? What they showed in the Reveal trailer was in game footage. Much like what Forza did. And if you read that thread from gaf you would have understood that. Plus everything is dynamic, from time of day to weather, to sea level changes. Drive club is not only better looking but technology wise it’s more impressive.

First: It *should* look at least better because it's running on *way* better hardware (given by "experts") and it only renders at 30fps. Technology-wise impressive? This would be too much in this post in this thread but believe me, everything that we see today is somehow prekaked. Devs are fooling us intentionally since ever to make things look like they do.

Would you consider the AI of Last of Us to be bad? Still, top-notch AI (which no console is capable of nowadays and they won't this gen) isn't even better than a 4 year old child. Welcome to gaming industry.

Are you saying the PS4 hardware isn't significantly better than XB1's? If so, you are kidding yourself. Forza looks as good as it does because the team is massive compared to Evolution studios, and this is really Evolution's first road racer while Turn 10 have been making sims for a while. I still fully expect DriveClub to have more impressive tech in there, although Forza might end up looking as good or better, due to using less dynamic tech.

What? Of course not. I am surprised to see you fail reading and understanding my post. Given the specs it *is* better which makes Driveclub seem... well, surprising the way it is now. And again, the teamsize is not relevant in any way given both are quite big and we don't know how many people are actually working on either game (if we know, please share info for all).

Impressive (nextgen) tech? Please enlighen me what they do which hasn't been done before.

mutantclown said:
Nsanity said:
How many frames does Drive Club run at?

The E3 demo was a  35% complete build, and it was having issues maintaining 30fps at times. It's still not confirmed, but I think they will settle for 1080p/30fps. I don't know what fps has to do with "better graphics" though. GT5 runs at 60fps, does that make its graphics better than Drive Club's or Need for Speed Rivals'? Are COD graphics better than Killzone 2/3's, Crysis 2/3's? Your question is totally irrelevant to this thread.

This is only because your lack of knowledge. Making a game target 30fps will should always result in way better graphics because you have at least twice the computing ressources while the gameplay itself suffers. Especially going 30fps on better hardware should easily outperform a game with 60fps on superior hardware.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
DucksUnlimited said:
walsufnir said:
DucksUnlimited said:

At least twice? How would they get more than twice?

My link says that they don't know what the end result for the framerate will be but they're aiming for 60fps. How does that prove your point that it will be running at 30fps? And why would I ask Ethomaz when nobody's even talking about how the games play? That has literally nothing to do with this thread.

This is a comparison between the visuals of 2 games on hardware that is roughly 10x as powerful as their predecessors. Saying that the visuals of a game coming out this year on brand new hardware should instead be compared to the visuals of a game on hardware from 2005 makes zero sense. IF Driveclub runs at 30fps, Evolution would have about 10 times as much potential for performance as Playground Games had to work with. Whereas they'd only have a little more than twice the potential for performance that Turn 10 has with Forza 5.

Because cutting it down to 30fps is... no, this is wrong to explain it to people like you. To maintain solid 60fps you just don't reduce the poly-amount by half you also write code way more... carefully. You only have half the ressources but additionally you have code that even more is written so that your goal can be achieved, that's why I say *at least*.

But we now have two consoles which are going to be released and it happens that on both consoles a racer releases, that's why we have a thread like this. The problem is by now that spec-wise PS4 should be ahead of Xbone by a good amount but Driveclub doesn't show us it is. Even worse it only renders at 30fps while the other one for the (spec-wise) inferior product renders at 60fps which is by now a fact.

Of course you can still keep on repeating posting the same old link what the devs are aiming for but there is almost no way to double the framerate now in this stage of development so in the end we will have two racers while one looks better than the other and of course people on the internet will compare them. If this results in a "loss" to PS4 then be it. This doesn't make the console or the game worse.

So it's only twice. The only way to make it more than twice would be to additionally write the code more carefully. Glad you agree with me.

Bolded 1: Too early to tell whether or not that's the case.

Bolded 2: Glad you know better than the devs. Also, that's the first time I've said anything about that link, so I'm not sure what you mean about repeating. And it's not old. 0/3

Bolded 3: Completely off topic. Has nothing to do with anything. Why is it you keep doing that? You're needlessly trying to turn a discussion about graphics into a console war.

You didn't respond to what I said about comparing DC to FH. Do you acknowledge that the comparison made no sense or do you have a rebuttal?

First: It is not just twice.

to bolded 1: read what I write - "by now". I used it intentionally.

to bolded 2: I don't know better than them but it is very unlikely. Willing to bet? :) It is nothing new that the devs said they were aiming for 60fps.

to bolded 3:  Off-topic? In a comparison-thread? Oh, VGC, how I missed you the last 2 weeks :D

But sorry, what exactly did you say of importance about DC and FH again?

You just said yourself that it was.

Bolded 1 response: Sure.

Bolded 2 response: Why would I want to bet anything when my entire point has been that we don't know and that specualting is pretty pointless at the moment?

Bolded 3 response: Yes, a graphics comparison thread. Not a console line-up comparison thread.

I have confidence that you're capable of answering that last question yourself.

They both look really good, but it bothers me I have never seen anyone in the car in any of the Drive Club trailers.

It's like magic ghost cars driving around the world. While that could be cool on a nightmare game, just seems like a "whoopie we forget something in a realistic sim.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Saw this over on NeoGaf:

Some quotes from the magazine under DriveClub section. It is short, one page, preview though.

Standing up against Ubisoft’s The Crew and Turn 10’s Forza 5, DriveClub may be fighting a losing battle in the visual department. It makes up for this with an impressive stability, running at a cool 60fps.

DriveClub’s problems stem from presentation; in video and screenshots it looks like an average simulation racer – one lacking the graphical edge of its competitors. Jumping into the driver’s seat, however, reveals something else entirely.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76770595&postcount=2582

It look like GamesTM information isn't accurate. They previewed E3 build.

Paul Rustchynsky @Rushy33
@willydearborn The build that GamesTM played was running at 30fps. Whilst the Guardian article was based upon newer code than from E3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76776627&postcount=2603

I'm pretty shocked at how this turned out. I thought this one was in the bag for Forza, as did most of the people in the thread it looks like.

Saw this in the thread: "Turn 10 only makes 90+ meta games. Simple." I don't know why MS didn't do everything they could to keep it this way, given that this was their last 90+ franchise. It doesn't seem worth compromising Forza quality just for the launch.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89