By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shin’en Multimedia: Wii U Is Most Definitely A Next-Generation Console

I like Shin'en. They brought me F-ZERO WX Prologue.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
is he saying that the Wii U is better than xbox One in terms of power? I find that hard to believe but i do agree with the rest of the statement

No, he's saying Wii U is more powerful than the Xbox 360.

Shin'en already confirmed that their 80MB Wii U launch title Nano Assault Neo did things PS3 and 360 can't graphically, and that their next game, (most likely FAST Racing League 2) will continue to push the graphical envelope. 

Shin'en have produced some of the most advanced games on just about every system they've worked on, it will be interesting to see what they can do on Wii U.

curl-6 said:
mii-gamer said:
is he saying that the Wii U is better than xbox One in terms of power? I find that hard to believe but i do agree with the rest of the statement

Shin'en already confirmed that their 80MB Wii U launch title Nano Assault Neo did things PS3 and 360 can't graphically, and that their next game, (most likely FAST Racing League 2) will continue to push the graphical envelope. 

Shin'en have produced some of the most advanced games on just about every system they've worked on, it will be interesting to see what they can do on Wii U.

Well, since their last FAST game looked better than most Wii games, their next racing game should stand out as well. Who know, they could have been given their chance to make the next F-Zero game. :) 

lightofhonor said:
curl-6 said:
mii-gamer said:

Well, since their last FAST game looked better than most Wii games, their next racing game should stand out as well. Who know, they could have been given their chance to make the next F-Zero game. :) 

Yeah FAST and Jett Rocket look better than 99% of games on the Wii, and both fit into 40MB. A Wii U sequel with HD, programmable shaders, 1GB of RAM, and a larger file size limit should look amazing, if Nano Assault Neo is anything to go by. (And Neo as only their first time working with the hardware, they'll get better with experience)

I doubt it's F Zero though, simply because Shin'en is a 5 man team, they don't have the manpower for a big game.

What I always found amusing is so far nobody actually knows what the Wii U specs are. So far its just been. The games are also on PS3/360 and current games don't show a huge advantange over PS3/360 games. Now we see PS3/PS4 games coming out but of course that same logic as to why Wii U is inferior isnt being applied to PS4.
The last break down I saw for Wii U they didnt even know what half the areas of the chip were designed to do.
Wii Us CPU/GPU combo is out of date. PS4s CPU/GPU combo is the first of its kind.
Also notice how if PS4 doesnt have it, its not needed for gaming in any way. Edram? Yeah completely pointless.

Around the Network

Can we reserve judgement on the Wii U´s graphical capabilitys untill we get a game that is built from the ground up (not an upscaled Wii game like Pikmin 3) ? Retro´s game or EAD Tokyo´s game should be a good indication what we should get in the future !

Nem said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Nem said:
Been saying this for a year now. No one listens.

Now that the xbox one is revealed and all stats known, do people still think that its the leap they thought it was? Its only a difference of texture detail and frame-rate. To the naked eye, the difference isnt much.

Not at all. Everyone who says such a thing simply has not seen what modern engines are capable of.

Of course. I'd like to see more examples and less faith leaping.

You mean... Like seeing something Shin'en have done for the Wii U that actually support their claims?

You're really not in the position to talk about faith leaping.

Busted said:
we've already had this conversation before...

This.

Useless statements with zero substance to them only breeds nonsensical conversations.

bleh.

dahuman said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Some features can be scaled, others simply need the hardware implace to be able to do it. Seeing that the WiiU is running a 40nm gpu, it certainly won't have the power needed to do many of these functions at all, and this is what happens when you have an exponential power gain. Take the PS2 and xbox. The xbox was almost twice as powerful, but it was still feeble in terms of computing and the 100% extra power allowed it to do little more. Now, however, 100% more power is a phenominal amount of power as we are talking about a few more terraflops, not one or two gig more. This huge boost allows entire new features to occur that would have been to much of a system hog previously eg. real time particles. You also have the huge issue of memory bandwith which the PS4 has an unrivalled amount (even to PC's), not sure on the xboxone due to lack of info, but the WiiU isn't even on the horizon. Devs will be creaming themselves over this feature because as you'll know, it will make life very easy for them and allow a lot to happen in game.

Also as a side note, as TV resolutions grow/more people get 1080 screens, you can't afford to down scale anything. Textures need to be sersiouly upscaled along with shadows, polygon counts etc as the HD resoltion tears crappy graphics apart. If you then downscale the resoltuion, this will look very poor in comparison to the competition.

But which features?

The WiiU can run Unreal 3 Engine, but not the samaritan demo.

Again, back to car analogies :D  A car can drive on a road, but can it reach 70mph? 100mph? 200mph? etc. Same goes for the consoles and many engines.

1.) The silicon size doesn't have anything to do with features, Wii U has the feature set, I think you are talking about the raw power required to have all the effects on screen at once, which is actually possible if it's toned down. I don't know how much more of course, I'm not a Wii U dev or anything. The games also don't need to run in 1080p, it can run in 720p or even in dynamic res, it's not a deal breaker.

2.) Xbone and PS4 can't run the Samaritan demo either, actually, they can, at prolly 1FPS, while the Wii U might go at 0.5FPS lol. I also don't know why you are comparing it with cars, the analogy actually doesn't work since you won't get anywhere faster during traffic hour no matter how fast your car can go. The correct analogy would be exactly how a gaming engine would work, which is much more dynamic.

1) Silcon size is important. It tells allows you to get an estimate for the power of the chip, and then what other features it will have eg. bandwith, inbuilt AA features, resolution support etc. Resolution is a deal breaker. Anyone running a gaming PC will tell you this from experience. It also means less power goes into AA and more cna be placed on having prettier textures, shadows, more obejects and so on.

2) PS4 can run it....hence why it ran the more demanding U4 engine demo. No idea about the xbone, and the wiiU certainly can not.  As for the anology, that would be bandwidth. More traffic is not a problem is you have more lanes, something the PS4 has a brutal amount of.

osed125 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

But which features?

The WiiU can run Unreal 3 Engine, but not the samaritan demo.

Again, back to car analogies :D  A car can drive on a road, but can it reach 70mph? 100mph? 200mph? etc. Same goes for the consoles and many engines.

Ok, well a few things with that demo. First off, what is it running on? Then you have the issue of falling between 24-30fps for realtively small scences, and then, most importantly, he never mentiones the WiiU but specifically mentions the ps4 and xbone for dx11 features, but mentions how they can turn them off for current consoles. I think it will be a case of dx11 for ps4, pc, xbone, and dx9 for the wiiu.

I can't wait for Digital Foundry face off when Watchdogs is released, it's gonna be a field day of fun ;)

Considering Watchdogs is a multiplatform game it will not be 100% optimized for any console but we will be able to still see a graphical difference between PS3/360/WiiU versus XboxOne/PC/PS4.

I think once a couple of games come out showing how much more capable the Xboxone/PS4 are in comparison to the WiiU, I know for a fact that allot of Nintendo fans who are trying to defend the WiiU's graphics capability will eventually revert to their "Gameplay over Graphics" mantra.

Now I have no issue with this mantra as most people who state this understand the hardware limitation of a Nintendo console but who simply can't miss a Nintendo first part franchise, this to me is fair and understandable. What I don't understand is this incessant need to 'try' and put the WiiU on the same hardware level as the Xboxone/PS4, in spite of the facts that are known. I've read some Nintendo fans stating that it has a GPU with a modern architecture with 'dx11' feature set just like the xboxone/PS4 therefore reducing the gap, but that's like saying that because I have a Toyota Carola with 4 wheels and an engine it's now comparable to a Formula one car....yeah sure they both have 4 wheels and an engine BUT their not even on the same league in terms of speed .

Like I've said before in other threads, the WiiU will be capable of some very beautiful 720p graphics just like the PS3 and 360, also Nintendo will do right by their franchises as they've always done, but one must realize that the hardware Nintendo choose is simply not on the same level as the hardware Microsoft and Sony choose, and honestly that is ok.

As foe Shin’en comments, well duh it's a next generation box, it's an 8th generation console, the successor to the Wii a 7th generation box, however, in terms of hardware capabilities Nintendo is a generation behind it's competitors, but again that's OK, Nintendo is providing something different with it's tablet controller, if you disagree with Nintendo's direction then their are 4 other options to game on such as table/phone, PC, Xboxone, PS4.