By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shin’en Multimedia: Wii U Is Most Definitely A Next-Generation Console

AnthonyW86 said:

I agree with this topic stating that you don't need much better graphics to get good games, but if a new system is barely a step up from the old generation it's simply not next gen for a hardware perspective.

And the difference is not small, in terms of graphics power the PS4 is over 10 times more capable than the Wii-U. That's not a gap you can fill by just lowering a few details.

not, it is not. 6-7x perhaps

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I agree with this topic stating that you don't need much better graphics to get good games, but if a new system is barely a step up from the old generation it's simply not next gen for a hardware perspective.

And the difference is not small, in terms of graphics power the PS4 is over 10 times more capable than the Wii-U. That's not a gap you can fill by just lowering a few details.

not, it is not. 6-7x perhaps

It's 6-7x more powerfull in raw computing power or Gflops but those do not account for performance gains faster memory gives. For example an HD7850(ps4) in raw computing power is about 50% faster than an HD7770(Xbox One). However it's about 70%-80% faster in real game benchmarks because an HD7850 has much faster memory. On average doubling memory bandwidth will give you an 20%-30% increase in performance. The ps4 has 14x more bandwidth than the Wii-U. So only an 50% increase is being very friendly to the Wii-U in this case.

The hard fact is that if they push the PS4 in games making them run at a solid 30fps, the Wii-U would only manage 2-3fps tops with the same settings(if it runs at all). Again not a difference you can make up by adjusting down a few settings.

pezus said:
z101 said:
The power difference between PS4 and Wii U is not that significant. Of course the PS4 will produce better graphics, but the Wii U is capable of toned down versions easily.

Only very physics heavy games could be hard to reproduce on Wii U.

But there is also the other way round: Wii U with its unique hardware design and fast connection of CPU/GPU and eDRAM could some things easily that would take an enormous amount of cpu/gpu power on PS4.

Most developers disagree. If that was the case, why not make WiiU versions of everything?

Underlined: Now you're just messing with me.

gamecube taught you the following: no matter how powerfull a nintendo console is, devs won't support it entirely. 

people get jealous at those multi million selling nintendo franchises and their game struggling to break even.

pezus said:
z101 said:
The power difference between PS4 and Wii U is not that significant. Of course the PS4 will produce better graphics, but the Wii U is capable of toned down versions easily.

But there is also the other way round: Wii U with its unique hardware design and fast connection of CPU/GPU and eDRAM could some things easily that would take an enormous amount of cpu/gpu power on PS4.

Most developers disagree. If that was the case, why not make WiiU versions of everything?

1. Because some publisher think that for some games there is no market on Wii U

2. Programmers can do amazing things with edram. You get many graphical effects practically for "free".

z101 said:
pezus said:
z101 said:

2. Programmers can do amazing things with edram. You get many graphical effects practically for "free".

Whilst that's true, you're seriously comparing a small amount of eDRAM on the WiiU to 8Gb of dedicated, higher bandwidth GDDR5 RAM in the PS4?

Do you honestly think the eDRAM can compensate for all that extra RAM and a GPU that's 5-6x more powerful?

Around the Network

is he saying that the Wii U is better than xbox One in terms of power? I find that hard to believe but i do agree with the rest of the statement

Power allows for more than just better graphics. We always need more power. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't be getting more and more powerful smarthphones every year, we would just get new software. We get both though, because both are equally important to that "next-gen" experience.

AnthonyW86 said:

I think the actual theoretical numbers on paper are not enough to grant a 10 fold increase over ps3, let alone wii u.

(I could be totally wrong though, not a tech head, just a read-a-lot-of-shit addict).

z101 said:
pezus said:
z101 said:

1. Because some publisher think that for some games there is no market on Wii U

1. I think they have definitive proof within their sales and earnings reports. It goes both ways though. For example, the market for Just Dance is much smaller on the Sony/MS consoles. It started off really small though. All it really needs is for publishers to take the time and money to create a market for these games. Unfortunately, the Call of Duty/Battlefield market is expensive to create and it these publishers don't get immediate results they back down.

2. I think of eDRAM as a workaround to low bandwidth. If you have high bandwidth to begin with, you don't really need it. Think of it as some sort of patch.

Who cares? Give me Zelda HD, Earthbound HD, FZero HD and a cool Mario 3D HD. All Nintendo needs to do is to bring their best games. If the console have a 10 million user base, all the third parties will want to join the fun.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.