By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The gap is gone! PS3 pass X360 in Worlwide sales!

congratulation ps3. Great console

Around the Network

Another proof that Xbox won this generation.

Troll_Whisperer said:
There should be a party thread. We need gifs.

http://i.minus.com/iuggFnJ5rHHGQ.gif

The timing was impeccable.. Just when MS shows they care nothing for the consumer with the Xbone reveal.. It's like karma

platformmaster918 said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:
Next target: Wii.

LOL good luck. 20 mil is much bigger than 8.

Not when one of the consoles are selling close to nothing

Fair enough, but that is assuming PS3 sales don't drop after PS4 releases. :)

They won't Sony consoles always sell great after their successors.  Look at PS1 and 2 and now PSP.  PS2 sold about 33% of it's total after PS3 came out.  It's been a longer gen so we can expect a dip to maybe 25% of its sales being post gen.  That puts PS3 well above 100m and probably above Wii.  Let's factor in that it hasn't gotten to $200 yet (a big price point that PS2 got to in year 2).  Don't talk about it not being a beast because these percentages aren't affected by total numbers they are relative to that console's sales.

Oh lord.. I really wish people here would stop this insane notion of the PS3 passing the Wii. Sony faithful, it's just not going to happen. I know it's tough, but TRY to absorb this. Seriously, this is the ONE thing about these forums that annoys me.

Let's do some analysis here.. PS3, at it's current rate, outsells Wii by 100k a week, if this website is to be believed.. That's roughly 450k per month. The PS3 currently has a 22 million deficit. That means, even if PS3 somehow kept selling at its current rate (which we all know is obviously not going to happen that too much longer), it would STILL take roughly 4 years for the PS3 to catch the Wii, at which point it would pretty much be irrelivent anyway, and there would likely be no concrete data to prove it at that point. Now, obviously, the PS3 sales are going to decline, and they are going to decline soon. Of course, so will Wii sales, but the kicker is that Wii has much less to lose at this point than PS3. So let's say PS3 declines to 50k per week while Wii declines to 10k per week within the next couple years on average (which I believe is a realistic scenario). Then it becomes nearly impossible for Ps3 to catch the Wii, because the deficit FAR outweights any traction gained. Let's assume the PS4 comes out late this year, or early next. Once 2014 rolls around, it is likely PS3 begins to sell that the aforementioned rate, as Sonys current console will likely kill momentum of its previous one.

At the end of the day, when all the dust settles, I see a final total of PS3: 97 million (or roughly 20 million more total), and Wii trickling to roughly 102 million sold (about 3 million more total). In other words, close, but no cigar; too little too late. To Sony's credit, PS3 will certainly get far closer than I ever expected, and far closer than they should have been, since Nintendo got arrogant and decided to go back to making the games THEY wanted to make, rather than the games CONSUMERS wanted, but I digress..

I guess in a sense you can view this as a victory for both Sony and Nintendo, as Nintendo was coming off a dismal 3rd place performance of the Gamecube, in which the entire industry was essentially against them, and Sony, who started out miserably out the gate with PS3 mainly thanks to the $599USD and the lack of games initially, eventually rebounded and got very close to becoming the top selling console again..

Around the Network

Now would be the time to search the forum archives for some crow

i'm sure there were several threads about why the PS3 would never outsell the XBOX

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:

Not when the rate at which the gap is decreasing is faster.

Best generation ever saleswise.

Nintendo got relevant again and made a fortune with their consoles after the "unsuccess" of the previous generation.
Microsoft found a place in the living room of a lot of people and dominates almost the entire US market.
PS3 got back the second place from 360 after being released a full year later and with a lot of bad press and ridiculous price. They probably learned their lesson and won't be as arrogant again.

Congratulations PS3, and ofcourse everyone else :)

that moment which was highly awaited finally came. PS3 surpassed 360! A generation where all consoles still stand fair in their respective positions.

Metallicube said:
platformmaster918 said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:

Not when one of the consoles are selling close to nothing

Fair enough, but that is assuming PS3 sales don't drop after PS4 releases. :)

They won't Sony consoles always sell great after their successors.  Look at PS1 and 2 and now PSP.  PS2 sold about 33% of it's total after PS3 came out.  It's been a longer gen so we can expect a dip to maybe 25% of its sales being post gen.  That puts PS3 well above 100m and probably above Wii.  Let's factor in that it hasn't gotten to $200 yet (a big price point that PS2 got to in year 2).  Don't talk about it not being a beast because these percentages aren't affected by total numbers they are relative to that console's sales.

Oh lord.. I really wish people here would stop this insane notion of the PS3 passing the Wii. Sony faithful, it's just not going to happen. I know it's tough, but TRY to absorb this. Seriously, this is the ONE thing about these forums that annoys me.

Let's do some analysis here.. PS3, at it's current rate, outsells Wii by 100k a week, if this website is to be believed.. That's roughly 450k per month. The PS3 currently has a 22 million deficit. That means, even if PS3 somehow kept selling at its current rate (which we all know is obviously not going to happen that too much longer), it would STILL take roughly 4 years for the PS3 to catch the Wii, at which point it would pretty much be irrelivent anyway, and there would likely be no concrete data to prove it at that point. Now, obviously, the PS3 sales are going to decline, and they are going to decline soon. Of course, so will Wii sales, but the kicker is that Wii has much less to lose at this point than PS3. So let's say PS3 declines to 50k per week while Wii declines to 10k per week within the next couple years on average (which I believe is a realistic scenario). Then it becomes nearly impossible for Ps3 to catch the Wii, because the deficit FAR outweights any traction gained. Let's assume the PS4 comes out late this year, or early next. Once 2014 rolls around, it is likely PS3 begins to sell that the aforementioned rate, as Sonys current console will likely kill momentum of its previous one.

At the end of the day, when all the dust settles, I see a final total of PS3: 97 million (or roughly 20 million more total), and Wii trickling to roughly 102 million sold (about 3 million more total). In other words, close, but no cigar; too little too late. To Sony's credit, PS3 will certainly get far closer than I ever expected, and far closer than they should have been, since Nintendo got arrogant and decided to go back to making the games THEY wanted to make, rather than the games CONSUMERS wanted, but I digress..

I guess in a sense you can view this as a victory for both Sony and Nintendo, as Nintendo was coming off a dismal 3rd place performance of the Gamecube, in which the entire industry was essentially against them, and Sony, who started out miserably out the gate with PS3 mainly thanks to the $599USD and the lack of games initially, eventually rebounded and got very close to becoming the top selling console again..

completely ignore price cuts, the relative price by point in lifespan, and the percentages I used (which are of course adjusted to each console's total) why don't ya?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers