By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The gap is gone! PS3 pass X360 in Worlwide sales!

pezus said:

1. No, I don't believe PS3 won't decline. No decline would mean 50m sales in 4 years. It will only need 20m.

I don't feel like arguing on this subject any longer, because for one -  it's all speculation so we can go on forever, and two - it's such a ridiculous notion on the first place.

But I do feel it necessary to respond to this.. 50 million in 4 years? Where on earth are you getting this?

100k per week x 4.5 weeks = roughly 450k per month.. x 12 months = 5.4 mill per year.. x 4 years = 21.6 mill (net gain) in 4 years. And remember, that's with NO DECLINE, which obviously won't happen. Especially once you add PS4 to the mix. Obviously PS3 numbers will jump during the holiday, but factoring in the slower weeks, it'll pretty much average out. Plus, Wii numbers will also jump during the holiday.

Around the Network

Today, the xbox360. Tomorrow, THE WOOOOOORLD! MUHWAHUWAHUWAAAA!

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Great job Sony, even with a year less in the market and a ridiculous price launch. I wonder if might reach the wii...

This definitely proves the Value of the "Rest of the World"

ALL HAIL BASED SONY!

Around the Network

Oh man. Wish I had a link to some interesting posts and threads.

Posts like: "We keep hearing that ps3 will outsell 360 in 2010. Nope. Wait, 2011. Nope. Wait, what about 2012?, still nope".

To people who posted similar things, all I have to say is "2013, baby!".

Anyway. Congrats, Sony, for an amazing comeback or incredibly consistent performance. Here's to passing psone and Wii.

Knowing Sony and their brilliant decisions, they'll probably butcher the ps4 launch, just like they did with the vita one and focus too much on ps3. It wouldn't suprise me if the ps3 gets a pricecut to compete with the ps4. I really don't see sales dropping that much after the ps4 launch. It might even outsell it consistently just like the psp is doing with the psvita.

pezus said:
Zelhawks37 said:
pezus said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:
Zelhawks37 said:
ethomaz said:
Next target: Wii.

LOL good luck. 20 mil is much bigger than 8.

Not when one of the consoles are selling close to nothing

Fair enough, but that is assuming PS3 sales don't drop after PS4 releases. :)

Not really. PS3 sales will drop, but as always with Sony consoles, it will keep selling for years.

OT: #Winning!

For how much is the determining factor. 20M is no easy feat.

Edit: Also, PS3 isn't PS2, which makes this a little harder for you Sony guys. Again, if it happens, it will further prove that this gen was the weirdest in sales. I will contribue to that cause to catch up to the Wii too by buying one.

I didn't say PS3 was PS2. It is, however, a Sony console. Just FYI: PS2 has sold over 50m since PS3 came out. 20m is a lot easier to do than that.

I should of put the other guy's name instead of edit, cuz I know you didnt. Again, we will see, but I am quite skepical and by then, it wil be irrelevant.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Metallicube said:
pezus said:

1. No, I don't believe PS3 won't decline. No decline would mean 50m sales in 4 years. It will only need 20m.

I don't feel like arguing on this subject any longer, because for one -  it's all speculation so we can go on forever, and two - it's such a ridiculous notion on the first place.

But I do feel it necessary to respond to this.. 50 million in 4 years? Where on earth are you getting this?

100k per week x 4.5 weeks = roughly 450k per month.. x 12 months = 5.4 mill per year.. x 4 years = 21.6 mill (net gain) in 4 years. And remember, that's with NO DECLINE, which obviously won't happen. Especially once you add PS4 to the mix. Obviously PS3 numbers will jump during the holiday, but factoring in the slower weeks, it'll pretty much average out. Plus, Wii numbers will also jump during the holiday.

Dude, the PS3 doesn't average 100,000 a week over a year. During FY2012, it averaged about 260,000 a week.

Personally, I can't wait for the PS3's price to go down so that it can become affordable in developing countries. Should be interesting to see the reactions of Nintendo fans.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but regardless of overal sales, no matter what microsoft has still won second place for the generation from a business standpoint. Sony is only ahead because of Japan really. Japan is an enormously different market than North America and Europe which are relatively similar by comparison. To get the japanese market they need to make a slew of exclusives which eat up their own profits just making them. Not to mention many of those games never leave Japan. I would rather be in Microsoft's position than I would Sony's. No matter what happens, microsoft has all kinds of money coming in from a subscription based online service, the most sales from multiplatform games, as well as the most sales for first party games.

DarkD said:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but regardless of overal sales, no matter what microsoft has still won second place for the generation from a business standpoint. Sony is only ahead because of Japan really. Japan is an enormously different market than North America and Europe which are relatively similar by comparison. To get the japanese market they need to make a slew of exclusives which eat up their own profits just making them. Not to mention many of those games never leave Japan. I would rather be in Microsoft's position than I would Sony's. No matter what happens, microsoft has all kinds of money coming in from a subscription based online service, the most sales from multiplatform games, as well as the most sales for first party games.

No offense but, first, you don't know what the numbers are from a business standpoint and, secondly, nobody says that Nintendo won last gen from a business standpoint - they say the PS2 won.