By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who doesn't understand people saying the PS4 reveal was amazing compared to Xbox One?

KingKazuma34 said:
So, Sony is not allowed to show sequels to some of their biggest games but MS is? Makes sense........

Nothing against Killzone or Infamous but Forza is a bigger franchise then both of those combined both in sales and critical acclaim.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:
So, Sony is not allowed to show sequels to some of their biggest games but MS is? Makes sense........

I don't think you read the thread at all.....

and it's responses like this that aren't aiding in the actually pretty deep discussion were having.  Personally I was stoked to see Killzone and Infamous.  And I criticized MS for not showing more titles.

read the thread

I did read the thread thanks though. You said Sony showed games that were pretty much the same as their last games, like Killzone, Infamous SS. The same could be said for MS. They showed Cod which is multiplatform, EA games which are ALL multiplatform, Forza 5 which is more of the same, Halo which is more of the same, sure an improved kinect but the xbox one will not work without it connected to it. Sorry for ruining your "deep discussion" on an internet fourm.

There's nothing wrong with "more of the same" in fact in my grading I praised them for showing those two franchises as they are established core IPs.

my criticism is that the titles won't move the mainstream consumer. Compare a infamous and Killzone sales to Fifa and COD. MS is trying to put mainstream large selling franchises in the mindshare of the consumer to associate them with Xbox One a sound strategy. I just think Sony should have had a few larger scale title to grab some headlines.

MS as well should have shown probably 2 more new or established core IPs as well to balance their conference, so both had faults.

Thats why they got Bungie to come to their show with Blizzard. Theres your two large third parties. That and they also revealed GT6....so if you consider that unofficial I understand but they did more to show gamers the possibility of next gen. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:

and it's responses like this that aren't aiding in the actually pretty deep discussion were having.  Personally I was stoked to see Killzone and Infamous.  And I criticized MS for not showing more titles.

read the thread

I did read the thread thanks though. You said Sony showed games that were pretty much the same as their last games, like Killzone, Infamous SS. The same could be said for MS. They showed Cod which is multiplatform, EA games which are ALL multiplatform, Forza 5 which is more of the same, Halo which is more of the same, sure an improved kinect but the xbox one will not work without it connected to it. Sorry for ruining your "deep discussion" on an internet fourm.

There's nothing wrong with "more of the same" in fact in my grading I praised them for showing those two franchises as they are established core IPs.

my criticism is that the titles won't move the mainstream consumer. Compare a infamous and Killzone sales to Fifa and COD. MS is trying to put mainstream large selling franchises in the mindshare of the consumer to associate them with Xbox One a sound strategy. I just think Sony should have had a few larger scale title to grab some headlines.

MS as well should have shown probably 2 more new or established core IPs as well to balance their conference, so both had faults.

Thats why they got Bungie to come to their show with Blizzard. Theres your two large third parties. That and they also revealed GT6....so if you consider that unofficial I understand but they did more to show gamers the possibility of next gen. 

True Bungie was a very smart choice. And certainly made some buzz.

Blizzard however seemed to fall flat. Diablo didn't really create much buzz and their user base is mostly on PC. Not the mainstream demographic.

but yes Bungie was VERY smart move by Sony.

I think the problem is you trying to objectively measure people's excitement and how much they should have been excited. I personally was not surprised by either the Playstation conference or the Xbox conference, yet it seems a fairly large amount of Playstation fans and Xbox fans found their respective conference to be amazing. I also know that people's perception of this conference is going to be pure subjective. Sony showed some stuff. Microsoft showed some stuff. What people like and find amazing is subjective.

Moreover, the fact that Sony's conference focused more on "gamers", which you've agreed to, should be clear indication of why people favored their conference. You wanted an explanation, so below I've listed everything you said about Microsoft's conference along with what I think people probably feel about it on THIS site

• New core IP - Sony showed two new IPs
  • Improved Kinect - Fans here have largely not cared for Move or Kinect, 
  • The actual console - This is true
  • New controller - Same for Sony 
  • Fifa w/ exclusive content - Destiny with exclusive content
  • CoD w/ exclusive content - People here dislike CoD, for the most part.
  • Forza 5 sequel to the highest average Meta racer ever - Sony showed sequels too; and since when have people been that concerned with Metascore, especially with sim racers (see people's love for Gran Turismo)
  • 15 exclusives in the first year - Vague announcement by Microsoft
  • NFL partnership, Halo TV show, cool media features - All nongaming features, which most people have never really cared for here.

Jay520 said:
I think the problem is you trying to objectively measure people's excitement and how much they should have been excited. I personally was not surprised by either the Playstation conference or the Xbox conference, yet it seems a fairly large amount of Playstation fans and Xbox fans found their respective conference to be amazing. I also know that people's perception of this conference is going to be pure subjective. Sony showed some stuff. Microsoft showed some stuff. What people like and find amazing is subjective.

Moreover, the fact that Sony's conference focused more on "gamers", which you've agreed to, should be clear indication of why people favored their conference. You wanted an explanation, so below I've listed everything you said about Microsoft's conference along with what I think people probably feel about it on THIS site

New core IP - Sony showed two new IPs
Improved Kinect - Fans here have largely not cared for Move or Kinect,
The actual console - This is true
New controller - Same for Sony
Fifa w/ exclusive content - Destiny with exclusive content
CoD w/ exclusive content - People here dislike CoD, for the most part.
Forza 5 sequel to the highest average Meta racer ever - Sony showed sequels too; and since when have people been that concerned with Metascore, especially with sim racers (see people's love for Gran Turismo)
15 exclusives in the first year - Vague announcement by Microsoft
NFL partnership, Halo TV show, cool media features - All nongaming features, which most people have never really cared for here.

True true. But this is more a debate about how the general mass market will react not people in forums.

its kind of a throwback to the old school hardcore sales /trends threads of old vgchartz 

Around the Network

The answer is really simple

Sony's presentation was towards the core gamer. The audience for events like that (and E3,GDC, ect) are the core gamer

Microsoft's was for the casual crowd... which is fine and all. If they want to target the casual gamer instead of the core gamer that's their decision. Problem is that the audience for these events is core gamers. Casuals aren't watching these events live. E3 for the casual crowd isn't a nerd holiday lol.

So yeah when you hold a reveal like Microsoft did and give a big "fuck you" to the core gamer when the only audience besides industry professionals is the core gamer... they are going to give you a big "fuck you" right back

And people need to stop acting as if the negative reaction to Xbox One is just Sony fanboys trolling. The folks from Kotaku, IGN, and even Sessler will tell you how awful the reveal was and the atmosphere in the room was. Only Microsoft employees were clapping. And they are the same people who reported Sony's "Giant Enemy Crab" and "Riiiiiidge Raaaaacer".

As far as the hardcore gaming market, the one's that only care about games, Sony did quite a bit better in that department. From a purely gaming standpoint Sony's was better for sure.

But where they made up for it was the entire rest of the market, both core gamers (the type that are in between casuals and hardcore) and casual gamers got features and games announced that made the One's announcement pretty good.

BenVTrigger said:

True true. But this is more a debate about how the general mass market will react not people in forums.

its kind of a throwback to the old school hardcore sales /trends threads of old vgchartz 

Well...that there explains it then. Most people were looking at it from a subjective standpoint with their own best interest in mind. In fact, this has been the case with both Sony fans and Microsoft fans. A lot of Microsoft fans, for example, have downplayed the required internet connection because they didn't need internet; while not commenting on the effect this would have on developing nations. Your problem isn't that people loved Sony's conference; it's that they weren't talking about the sales potential of what they showed, which is a different concern entirely. The OP/title and what you're really concerned with seem to be misleading.

You should be asking, "Am I the only one who doesn't understand people giving their opinions on the conference rather than objective analyzing sales potential?"

BenVTrigger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:

read the thread

True Bungie was a very smart choice. And certainly made some buzz.

Blizzard however seemed to fall flat. Diablo didn't really create much buzz and their user base is mostly on PC. Not the mainstream demographic.

but yes Bungie was VERY smart move by Sony.

InFamous also had a very strong chance of building appeal in a new gen where they have a fresh start. Sony bought Sucker Punch for a reason, they believe in this IP and they want to see it throught and many other titles with them. Some companies just work better with Sony than outside of them ::Cough::Insomniac::Clears throat::. Knack has a definite audience whom are the Jak N Daxter, Rachet and Clank crowd, but they have a chance to expand that even further next gen. The guy who made it is considered the Miyamoto of Sony. I think he's also responsible for Crash Bandicoot if I am not mistaken. I think more details need to be shown abot Knack. I believe E3 will fill in the gaps. Killzone...well I just love its gritty, realistic style so thats the perfect launch game to prep me for whats to come on the PS4.

Jay520 said:
BenVTrigger said:

Well...that there explains it then. Most people were looking at it from a subjective standpoint with their own best interest in mind. In fact, this has been the case with both Sony fans and Microsoft fans. A lot of Microsoft fans, for example, have downplayed the required internet connection because they didn't need internet; while not commenting on the effect this would have on developing nations. Your problem isn't that people loved Sony's conference; it's that they weren't talking about the sales potential of what they showed, which is a different concern entirely. The OP/title and what you're really concerned with seem to be misleading.

You should be asking, "Am I the only one who doesn't understand people giving their opinions on the conference rather than objective analyzing sales potential?"

Eh we've gotten some pretty deep discussion in the thread rolling about that.

pretty much 90% of the time I talk about this stuff I'm referring to market trends and sales not individual stuff. Something that gets lost on a lot of people here. I'm more of an old school style member here like guys like mrstickball were back in the day. That's why I post here.