By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who doesn't understand people saying the PS4 reveal was amazing compared to Xbox One?

arcane_chaos said:
BenVTrigger said:
Microsoft

Pros:

1. Showed the console! This is huge from a marketing stand point. Retailers can show it, MS can flaunt it, and gamers can know what's going in their entertainment center

2. Media. It's 2013 and we don't just use our consoles for games anymore. In fact 60 percent of all Xbox Live time is spent doing things besides gaming. Media will be a large component of next gen.

3. Beautiful OS. They showed a lot of it and it was impressive. Fast, slick, and capable of real multi tasking

4. Mass market games. COD, Madden, Fifa. These may not be big titles to us but they are huge titles for mainstream. Gamers first view and the "best versions" are on Xbox One

Cons

1. Core gamers miss you! Forza was nice but expected. Remedies game was cool but confusing. Should have announced another core title and played a live demo.

2. Too much media. Especially the TV stuff. Lets be honest it dragged here

3. Vague on the things core gamers want to know. Pre owned? Used games? Always online? Never mentioned in the conference, and the answers we got were confusing.

In closing Sony did a great job selling to their base and core gamers have every right to be excited. They dropped the ball appealing to mass market though.

MS, great job selling to the masses and I think NA is on lock now. That said the core base is angry and I didn't see anything that will really help the situation in Japan and Europe

okay good points for both;

I like to highlight what Unitsmiley said earlier people who watch events like  these are the core of the core, I find it a little hard to believe that the casusals are watching this as intently as you and I, And I think this is where the problems lies with MS that spent nearly half of their conference talking about their services where Sony did was showed what their console was capable with showing actual gameplay with killzone and Knack(though true that these won't appeal to the mainstream) overall Sony did a better presentation mostly do to the fact that their reveal was longer so they were able to reveal everything smoothly.

though MS did show Fifa/Madden/CoD I think the impact is little in favor to MS, the main stream know by now that these games are multplats(the favor that I will give MS is the exclusive content they got) the weak point of that as well was we saw no live gameplay og the games that MS unvieled which could mean they're saving for E3(most likely) or could also shine light on that rumor about MS being behind in some of their development teams.

I give MS major bonus point for showing their console, but (an soley my opinion)  the services they showed weren't that impressive; now let me state that the Kinect was amazing, however; and this is my retail point of view; will a person who has say Netflix/Hulu/NFL pass/Internet explorer go out and buy atleast a $400 console and now have to pay a yearly subcription fee and now possible deal with connecting their device once everyt 24 hours?

thats' a huge turn off for me personally

Good points. Ill address each paragraph briefly

1. It's not just about who was watching it live. MS talked about the things the mass market cares about. Media, big titles, tv deals, features etc. major publications like Fox, the Sun, MSNBC, all loved the conference because MS talked about the things they care about. They honestly couldn't give a damn about the next great RPG or hardcore title. They care what it does in their living rooms. These stories trickle down to the mass market consumer.

2. Mind share. Sure they are multi plats but EA and MS are showing them first and claiming they are the best versions. Small things like this effect the mindshare of the consumer.

3. Good point and pricing will be huge. It will be interesting to see if the mass market are willing to pay 400 to 500 right off the bat. They probably won't have to though as MS will subsidize the console a system casuals in America are already used to with their cell phone plans

Around the Network

So, Sony is not allowed to show sequels to some of their biggest games but MS is? Makes sense........

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony shows games, gameplay, videos the possibilities that come with next gen, vs MS who only showed videos zero gameplay and every bit of 37 minutes of entertainment out of an hour.

Sony seems in touch with the fact that the people watching the show arent casuals. Well at least the standard media was there.

Great Sony showed more games at their reveal but pretty much none of them intrested me execpt maybe Infamous Second Son.  Forza 5 on the other hand I'm sure will be great and provide hundreds of hours of entertainment.

BenVTrigger said:
arcane_chaos said:
BenVTrigger said:
Microsoft

Pros:

1. Showed the console! This is huge from a marketing stand point. Retailers can show it, MS can flaunt it, and gamers can know what's going in their entertainment center

2. Media. It's 2013 and we don't just use our consoles for games anymore. In fact 60 percent of all Xbox Live time is spent doing things besides gaming. Media will be a large component of next gen.

3. Beautiful OS. They showed a lot of it and it was impressive. Fast, slick, and capable of real multi tasking

4. Mass market games. COD, Madden, Fifa. These may not be big titles to us but they are huge titles for mainstream. Gamers first view and the "best versions" are on Xbox One

Cons

1. Core gamers miss you! Forza was nice but expected. Remedies game was cool but confusing. Should have announced another core title and played a live demo.

2. Too much media. Especially the TV stuff. Lets be honest it dragged here

3. Vague on the things core gamers want to know. Pre owned? Used games? Always online? Never mentioned in the conference, and the answers we got were confusing.

In closing Sony did a great job selling to their base and core gamers have every right to be excited. They dropped the ball appealing to mass market though.

MS, great job selling to the masses and I think NA is on lock now. That said the core base is angry and I didn't see anything that will really help the situation in Japan and Europe

okay good points for both;

I like to highlight what Unitsmiley said earlier people who watch events like  these are the core of the core, I find it a little hard to believe that the casusals are watching this as intently as you and I, And I think this is where the problems lies with MS that spent nearly half of their conference talking about their services where Sony did was showed what their console was capable with showing actual gameplay with killzone and Knack(though true that these won't appeal to the mainstream) overall Sony did a better presentation mostly do to the fact that their reveal was longer so they were able to reveal everything smoothly.

though MS did show Fifa/Madden/CoD I think the impact is little in favor to MS, the main stream know by now that these games are multplats(the favor that I will give MS is the exclusive content they got) the weak point of that as well was we saw no live gameplay og the games that MS unvieled which could mean they're saving for E3(most likely) or could also shine light on that rumor about MS being behind in some of their development teams.

I give MS major bonus point for showing their console, but (an soley my opinion)  the services they showed weren't that impressive; now let me state that the Kinect was amazing, however; and this is my retail point of view; will a person who has say Netflix/Hulu/NFL pass/Internet explorer go out and buy atleast a $400 console and now have to pay a yearly subcription fee and now possible deal with connecting their device once everyt 24 hours?

thats' a huge turn off for me personally

Good points. Ill address each paragraph briefly

1. It's not just about who was watching it live. MS talked about the things the mass market cares about. Media, big titles, tv deals, features etc. major publications like Fox, the Sun, MSNBC, all loved the conference because MS talked about the things they care about. They honestly couldn't give a damn about the next great RPG or hardcore title. They care what it does in their living rooms. These stories trickle down to the mass market consumer.

2. Mind share. Sure they are multi plats but EA and MS are showing them first and claiming they are the best versions. Small things like this effect the mindshare of the consumer.

3. Good point and pricing will be huge. It will be interesting to see if the mass market are willing to pay 400 to 500 right off the bat. They probably won't have to though as MS will subsidize the console a system casuals in America are already used to with their cell phone plans

Sonys conferences were for the gamers. MS reached over the gamers head and spoke to the general media.  For sure number 1 and from there they will gain casual mindshare because the interwebs are still blown up about the used games thing.

KingKazuma34 said:
So, Sony is not allowed to show sequels to some of their biggest games but MS is? Makes sense........

I don't think you read the thread at all.....

and it's responses like this that aren't aiding in the actually pretty deep discussion were having.  Personally I was stoked to see Killzone and Infamous.  And I criticized MS for not showing more titles.

read the thread

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony shows games, gameplay, videos the possibilities that come with next gen, vs MS who only showed videos zero gameplay and every bit of 37 minutes of entertainment out of an hour.

Sony seems in touch with the fact that the people watching the show arent casuals. Well at least the standard media was there.

Great Sony showed more games at their reveal but pretty much none of them intrested me execpt maybe Infamous Second Son.  Forza 5 on the other hand I'm sure will be great and provide hundreds of hours of entertainment.

LOL...You do know that Sony still has E3 right? There are people who liked what they offered, but the head and heart are in the right place. Whatever Microsoft does at E3 they have the final word. Sony hasnt even stated how many exclusives they have planned for the PS4. People have already dissected the 16 games MS will supply with eight of the being new IPs.

I say six kinect games, five XBLA titles and four and five core titles. 

My prediction is: Dance Central 3, Kinect Adventures 2,  Forza 5, for the known games. The Black Tusk game for the known new IP's. That least fourteen other games.  

BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:

and it's responses like this that aren't aiding in the actually pretty deep discussion were having.  Personally I was stoked to see Killzone and Infamous.  And I criticized MS for not showing more titles.

read the thread

I did read the thread thanks though. You said Sony showed games that were pretty much the same as their last games, like Killzone, Infamous SS. The same could be said for MS. They showed Cod which is multiplatform, EA games which are ALL multiplatform, Forza 5 which is more of the same, Halo which is more of the same, sure an improved kinect but the xbox one will not work without it connected to it. Sorry for ruining your "deep discussion" on an internet fourm.

MS still has E3 also and they already said their main focus there will be games.

KingKazuma34 said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:

read the thread

I did read the thread thanks though. You said Sony showed games that were pretty much the same as their last games, like Killzone, Infamous SS. The same could be said for MS. They showed Cod which is multiplatform, EA games which are ALL multiplatform, Forza 5 which is more of the same, Halo which is more of the same, sure an improved kinect but the xbox one will not work without it connected to it. Sorry for ruining your "deep discussion" on an internet fourm.

There's nothing wrong with "more of the same" in fact in my grading I praised them for showing those two franchises as they are established core IPs.

my criticism is that the titles won't move the mainstream consumer. Compare a infamous and Killzone sales to Fifa and COD. MS is trying to put mainstream large selling franchises in the mindshare of the consumer to associate them with Xbox One a sound strategy. I just think Sony should have had a few larger scale title to grab some headlines.

MS as well should have shown probably 2 more new or established core IPs as well to balance their conference, so both had faults.

BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:
BenVTrigger said:
KingKazuma34 said:

read the thread

There's nothing wrong with "more of the same" in fact in my grading I praised them for showing those two franchises as they are established core IPs.

my criticism is that the titles won't move the mainstream consumer. Compare a infamous and Killzone sales to Fifa and COD. MS is trying to put mainstream large selling franchises in the mindshare of the consumer to associate them with Xbox One a sound strategy. I just think Sony should have had a few larger scale title to grab some headlines.

MS as well should have shown probably 2 new or established core IPs as well to balance their conference, so both had faults.

I can agree with you there. Both conferences had some faults. I get what your saying, Fifa and Cod are more known to the market than infamous or Killzone, I didn't think about it like that, so your right on that. We will just have to wait until E3 to see what they both have, it should be really good on both sides.