By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Never let it be said that I am not a gamer first and foremost.

Dodece said:

@Munkeh111

Thank you that is what I needed to know. As for the power supply it is 875 watt, and they are at least advertising it as allowing for substantial future upgrades.

Oh wow, 875 is huge. I have a 750W for my 670 based system, with room for a second, so that should be fine for slotting in a new graphics card. Although the newer i7s don't actually offer that much of a power boost, one thing they do offer is a lower power consumption, so that may be a factor to consider

Around the Network

Dodece just wait for e3.
Details are going to start flooding soon.
I believe sony will make the right decision.
Remember, they took note from the indies and devs on what to do, it is unlikely they defered to ea and gave them the choice, which is also ljkely why they've said their drm (and alluding that they may not even have drm) will be up to the developer on a case by case basis. In which case we can just boycott.
Just hold off on pc before we hear detaols on ps4

CGI-Quality said:
Talal said:
Looks like PC will be my primary gaming device also. Unless Sony doesn't do the bullshit that MS is doing.

Even if they didn't, PC is currently my main gaming platform. Despite DRM, I feel like I have so much more freedom, with games, features, and controls. That said, the X-One is a Day 1 buy, not much that I saw that swayed me against it.

@ Dodece: Listen to the few here, build your own machine. FAR less money with many more benefits!

I without a doubt will be getting a gaming PC this summer. Gaming on my laptop really sucks. :p

The main reason the ps3 was my main console this gen is because I have so many friends there. I don't know that many that game on PC, but I'll try to convert them. :p

I might consult you about the pieces I decide to get since you seem to know your stuff. ;)

superchunk said:
Dodece said:
UPDATE

I am looking at an Alienware Aurora desktop right now. Low end specs obviously. Would anyone here happen to have any experience with this particular model, or with the brand itself in general. Here are the specs if you have any thoughts about them.

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
8GB2 Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

Build your own. Far cheaper and better components.

Agreed. Newegg.com is where I get my parts from.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

For what it's worth, I built my custom rig in Summer 2011 for $600. 16 GB DDR3 ram, AMD A3 six-core @ 3.2 ghz/core, Radeon HD 6790 w/1GB VRAM, 3 TB SATA 6 HD, Raidmax Smilodon case, 500W PSU, ASUS mobo w/USB 3.0 support.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
Raze said:
For what it's worth, I built my custom rig in Summer 2011 for $600. 16 GB DDR3 ram, AMD A3 six-core @ 3.2 ghz/core, Radeon HD 6790 w/1GB VRAM, 3 TB SATA 6 HD, Raidmax Smilodon case, 500W PSU, ASUS mobo w/USB 3.0 support.

good and cheap

Click HERE and be happy 

theprof00 said:
Dodece just wait for e3.
Details are going to start flooding soon.
I believe sony will make the right decision.
Remember, they took note from the indies and devs on what to do, it is unlikely they defered to ea and gave them the choice, which is also ljkely why they've said their drm (and alluding that they may not even have drm) will be up to the developer on a case by case basis. In which case we can just boycott.
Just hold off on pc before we hear detaols on ps4

With all due respect. That doesn't comfort me in the least. Setting aside the fact that Sony burned me once already, and i made a promise to myself that I wouldn't let them do that to me ever again. It still doesn't sound like much of a gaming existence. Having to boycott the majority of game developers on a platform. Besides if I purchased the platform, and Sony allowed for digital rights management it would be sending the exact same signal as if I had opted to buy a Xbox. If anything you should be looking at it the same way I am. If you enable the behavior you will only encourage worse in the future.

You have to understand something I am not running away, or going into some self imposed exile. Instead I am moving on towards better gaming. Ironically when I came back to console gaming it was actually a step down. On the PC there are literally games you can drown yourself in. The only reason I got back into console gaming is that I didn't have enough money at the time for a rebuild. I bought my first 360 used, and it came with eight old games for a couple hundred bucks. I just never got around to rebuilding my PC. All of the readily available second hand games actually helped to keep me interested for as long as it has. 

It isn't even like this was a investment that wasn't going to have to be made. I got a tablet earlier this year, and my old laptop is definitely starting to show its real age. I still need a computer, but just not a portable one. So the way I look at it. I am just buying a replacement laptop, and a console wrapped into one, but better then either. So I am really cool about the cost, and obviously given the sticker prices I am looking at. All this announcement has done is sped up my own timetable by at most a year.

Dodece it isn't even like that. You're assuming what sony will do based on what ms did, and if I can be frank as well, I could see this coming just from looking at the 360 and their policies regarding that.
Sony won't make this mistake, sure they may be pressured by ea, but you know what, at least they didn't impose this required system. And its likely that only companies like ea will do it, which imo aren't great devs to begin with.
Other companies won't, and this is actually their chance for devs to learn a hard lesson while everything else will sell normally, and they'll be boycotted.

But sure sonyspurned you once. But I won't let you make wild accusations based on assumptions that we could instead have answers to in two weeks.

My question about this is how does this prop up PC gaming? I just dont understand it at all. PC gamers are playing the same exact games we're playing (and we're playing more anticipated exclusives depending on the console and if you own three consoles thats just without question). We actually own our games and are dealt with by a unified brand. 

@theprof00

What wild accusations are you talking about. You suggested that Sony would leave the choice in the hands of third parties as to whether to implement such a system on their console. Well if that is the case then we know of quite a few big players that will be all over that like stink on shit, and unfortunately those players put out a lot of games. It just isn't optimal to be boycotting so many games. I don't want to waste my time fasting through self imposed droughts, and frankly I don't need to fight any kind of war. When the only move I need to do to affect the outcome is to remove myself from play.

I have absolutely no vested interest in maintaining the industry or helping Sony in the slightest. I can support developers that I find to be worthy just as well from the PC. I don't have to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, because quite frankly they were not going to be getting my business in the first place. I personally think the console market is going to implode. The harder the console manufacturers squeeze for every penny. The more people they are going to squeeze out of their market. The harder they make it on honest gamers to support their habit. The fewer of them will be left. Until the house of cards falls apart.

I suppose what I am saying is it is really like cancer. It spreads if unchecked. The fact that Microsoft has given it a chance to get going. Just means the end is pretty much inevitable. Unless the Xbox fails catastrophically out of the gate. Developers aren't going to see the decrease in profits as being caused by their system. They are going to blame used sales elsewhere, and if they don't get their way. They will start to pull support. Which will only speed the process up. They will just keep piling on the very draconian practices that are killing them.