By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Never let it be said that I am not a gamer first and foremost.

Dodece said:
UPDATE

I am looking at an Alienware Aurora desktop right now. Low end specs obviously. Would anyone here happen to have any experience with this particular model, or with the brand itself in general. Here are the specs if you have any thoughts about them.

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
8GB2 Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

how much does this cost? this would play most things on either full settings or almost full settings. its a lot like the specs of my desktop.

Around the Network

I feel the same except I'm going to wait for Sony, I just don't like people defending companies that are trying to rip them off we are all suppose to be gaming fans first and foremost and Company Fans

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

NiKKoM said:
We all know that the people with an iPhone will be the last ones standing after this war..

Yay! I'm a survivor!

Dodece said:
UPDATE

I am looking at an Alienware Aurora desktop right now. Low end specs obviously. Would anyone here happen to have any experience with this particular model, or with the brand itself in general. Here are the specs if you have any thoughts about them.

1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

Build your own. Far cheaper and better components.

It always makes me scratch my head a bit when people talk about Steam as though it were the holy grail of gaming. Honestly, I find the Steam DRM, and their buggy, intrusive client, annoying. I buy elsewhere unless they have a sale going on that I can't pass up.

Really, though, it's kind of confusing that people are getting angry and threatening to switch to PC gaming because consoles are switching over to PC gaming practices.

Around the Network

I'm with ya, I will also be fleeing to PC this generation, well I already have. My PC only cost me $800, and I'm willing to bet it's going to be at least AS powerful as the Xbox One, and it can to a hundred more things that machine cannot do. I don't know much about graphics and specs, but I believe my graphics card is in the mid-upper range, or at least the mid range, and it has 8 gig RAM DDR3 with 8 cores. Far Cry 3 looks sharper than anything I've played on my 360 this gen. And the keyboard and mouse set up is a superior form of control anyway, at least for FPS. So yeah, MS can take their ads, and their fees, and Kinect, and shove it.

Dodece said:
UPDATE

1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

Low ended? That's actually pretty damn high outside of the elitist of the elite shit. I have pretty much the same stuff except a GTX680 and some other slightly better parts. How much does it cost?

@Munkeh111

So what you are saying if I am understanding you correctly is that this would qualify as a competent rig if nothing else. I did give some thought to a from scratch build, but I feel like this is a compromise I can live with. It seems to be well suited to modding after the fact.

@bananaking21

About $1400 if I don't decide to custom build it.

Dodece said:
@Munkeh111

So what you are saying if I am understanding you correctly is that this would qualify as a competent rig if nothing else. I did give some thought to a from scratch build, but I feel like this is a compromise I can live with. It seems to be well suited to modding after the fact.

@bananaking21

About $1400 if I don't decide to custom build it.

What I am saying is that it is not a balanced build for gaming. The processor is far more powerful than you would ever need. An i7 might be relevant in certain games if you had a GTX Titan (~$800 I think), but you basically have a far too powerful CPU for the GPU.

As for improving if after purchasing, you will have to be careful on the PSU. From what I understand, this an area that manufacturers often save some money on by minimising any sort of headroom. When I build my PC, I left myself a few hundred spare watts in case I add in a second graphics card. If you want to do the same, then you will likely have to replace the power supply as well, which as well as being more expensive, will probably mean you have to remove every power component in the case, which will be a nightmare

The RAM and other stuff seem fine though. Further to the SSD thing, I should probably point out if offers no benefits for gaming, so the HDD is fine if you aren't interested in the boot speed and other things.

So to summarise, it is decent build and will give you as good or better graphics than most next gen games I feel. You will certainly be able to play current games at high with 1080p probably at 60 fps, though it won't stretch to ultra. This should give you some idea of the performance

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/performance

@Munkeh111

Thank you that is what I needed to know. As for the power supply it is 875 watt, and they are at least advertising it as allowing for substantial future upgrades.