By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else NOT excited for the next gen consoles?

DevilRising said:
KungKras said:

Gen 8 will be the gen of retro gaming.

I bet all of you guys miss Sega now huh?

This is the natural step that follows when you let companies like MS and Sony take over gaming.

I would far rather that Sega still made consoles, and that Microsoft didn't, if that's what you mean. I'd far rather that the only console makers were actual VIDEO GAMES companies like Nintendo, Sega, Atari, whatever, instead of megacorporations that put out very corporate products.

For THAT matter though, I miss the good ol days, when console games were CONSOLE games, and PC games were PC GAMES. As in that's all they were for. You want console games, you play a fucking console. You want PC games (which usually indicated types of games you generally only found ON PC), then you play the PC. It was nice, because you had both, and personally I LIKED both. And I liked them being two seperate things.

Nowadays, PC is practically treated like another console, which is rather silly, and because of things like Steam, PC gets ports of practically everything. I just don't really see the point of it. I think that once upon a time, PC gaming used to be rather unique and iventive. Not anymore. Now, it's all intermingled, and that, to an "old timer" like myself, is just....what's the expression I'm looking for.......ah yes, "Fucking stupid".

But hey.

I know the feel.

I agree with everything you said.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I currently have a 3DS which has a ton of great games coming, just got a PS3 last year and a bunch of games i havent played yet. Ill probably get a Wii U next year or this holiday if i find a really good deal or bundle. As for the Xbox One, im simply not interested and i probably will wait a couple years to get a PS4 when its around $250.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

well both Sony and MS have done a great job to help Ninty.

I guess taht after a great gen. we always need a mediocre one!

Let's hope for great games.

Switch!!!

Metallicube said:

*raises hand*

Nintendo is regressing back to their niche style games reminiscent of the Gamecube with its Wii U, complete with an awkward controller, and it's overpriced

Have you ever actually held/used the GamePad controller? If not, I suggest you do before passing judgement. I have been a lifelong "NIntendo guy" (while also liking Sega and classic PC gaming), and even I thought the controller looked odd/too big/awkward/unconfortable on first sight. But after actually HOLDING one and using it to play games, I'm sorry to break it to you, but the damn thing is pretty awesome. It's very light, even though it doesn't look it, and it's also not awkward at all. It's BIG, I'll give you that, but you get used to it, and considering it's dual analog/button placement functionality, it's literally just a standard game controller with a big touch screen and "8axis" sensors. Well that and it's off tv functionality, tv remote functionality, NFC reader, camera, etc.

It's the Swiss Army Knife of game controllers, and to be frank, after spending extended time with it, it's pretty fucking sweet.

I also fail  to see how you can gather that Nintendo is "regressing back to their niche style games like the Gamecube", when you quite literally have seen nothing but a tiny sample of what Wii U is actually going to have, gamewise. You can't possibly make a fully informed judgement based on that small peak. If any of the rumors are to be taken seriously, their next 3D Mario and Zelda outings are going to be the biggest and most ambitious yet (and given the HD and blu-ray disc-space, it is believable). Smash Bros. is bound to be great, as always. Ditto with Mario Kart. Lego City Stories is awesome, and games like "X", Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and Shin Megami Tensai x Fire Emlem show a lot of promise. That is to say nothing of whatever Retro is working on, or the potential of HD Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, etc., as well as inevitable other new IPs.

I'm just saying. There isn't much to go off of on any of the consoles quite yet. But the "One" I'd say, just knowing about all the stupid design choices and features MS has decided on....yeah, it already sounds fuckin' retarded. But as for Wii U? I'd say give a chance to actually get going before you write it off.

DevilRising said:
Metallicube said:

*raises hand*

Nintendo is regressing back to their niche style games reminiscent of the Gamecube with its Wii U, complete with an awkward controller, and it's overpriced

Have you ever actually held/used the GamePad controller? If not, I suggest you do before passing judgement. I have been a lifelong "NIntendo guy" (while also liking Sega and classic PC gaming), and even I thought the controller looked odd/too big/awkward/unconfortable on first sight. But after actually HOLDING one and using it to play games, I'm sorry to break it to you, but the damn thing is pretty awesome. It's very light, even though it doesn't look it, and it's also not awkward at all. It's BIG, I'll give you that, but you get used to it, and considering it's dual analog/button placement functionality, it's literally just a standard game controller with a big touch screen and "8axis" sensors. Well that and it's off tv functionality, tv remote functionality, NFC reader, camera, etc.

It's the Swiss Army Knife of game controllers, and to be frank, after spending extended time with it, it's pretty fucking sweet.

I also fail  to see how you can gather that Nintendo is "regressing back to their niche style games like the Gamecube", when you quite literally have seen nothing but a tiny sample of what Wii U is actually going to have, gamewise. You can't possibly make a fully informed judgement based on that small peak. If any of the rumors are to be taken seriously, their next 3D Mario and Zelda outings are going to be the biggest and most ambitious yet (and given the HD and blu-ray disc-space, it is believable). Smash Bros. is bound to be great, as always. Ditto with Mario Kart. Lego City Stories is awesome, and games like "X", Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and Shin Megami Tensai x Fire Emlem show a lot of promise. That is to say nothing of whatever Retro is working on, or the potential of HD Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, etc., as well as inevitable other new IPs.

I'm just saying. There isn't much to go off of on any of the consoles quite yet. But the "One" I'd say, just knowing about all the stupid design choices and features MS has decided on....yeah, it already sounds fuckin' retarded. But as for Wii U? I'd say give a chance to actually get going before you write it off.

I've palyed Wii U at a friend's house. Nintendo Land to be specific. It just felt awkward for me to constantly look up and down from the gamepad screen to the TV screen. Playing that Donkey Kong game on Nintendo Land, I felt like my head was spinning. But to be fair, the games I played with the Wiimote, I did enjoy. THAT'S what Wii U should have been in the first place. Just more fleshed out Wiimote games, without that silly second-rate tablet. I dunno, maybe they just haven't sold me on it yet.

I'm not ruling anything out for the future. But as of now, Wii U doesn't do it for me, especially at a $350 price tag. Lower the price $100 and give me a solid Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and 3D Mario, then we'll talk. Until then, the thing just doesn't appeal to me like past Nintendo consoles have. Still looks more appealing than the PS4 and especially Xbox One though, in all fairness.

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
no ps4 is a beast 8gb gddr5

no always online

this gen went on for to long jaggies, poor draw distance, low res textures are a eye sore for me now

You know how next gen will end up?   Sub 1080p graphics because instead of finding out how to make good looking efficient games they will just lower the resolution and just if we are lucky will use AA.

Especially third party has no Idea how to make games  just look at all the FPS crippled games....  thats one of the reasons I ignore third party on consoles and just play their games on PC which I will keep doing in the future.

So for me neither PS4 nor Xone  offer something I care about.
Xone has the entertainment-novelty bonus tho and Sony finally dropped that shitty controller (hopefully they fixed the analogs too  and not just the ergonomics and triggers). 

I have a Wiiu for the Mario and Zelda treatment (since they mostly have great art style  low res textures etc are not a big deal) and some niche titles and a PC which I will always have for all other games. I do know that I will upgrade my PC in 2014  because after all nextgen consoles are released PC hardware will finally have reasonable prices not those artificially high prices it had since 2009/10....

And since the new consoles have "PC hardware"   porting games to PC's is easier this time.

I might buy Xone or so in 3 or 4 years.

KungKras said:
oniyide said:
KungKras said:

This is the natural step that follows when you let companies like MS and Sony take over gaming.

Yeah because Ninty has been REALLY killing it all these years and those systems Sony and MS made were REALLY terrible. Please.

This is the logical conclusion of companies like Sony and MS entering gaming. If you can not see that, you are blind. This is what they strived for since the beginning. Industrialize, monetize, standardize.

Also, if the PS consoles never existed, you can bet the Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, would have all had better libraries than the PS2 and HD twins of our reality.

You dont know that for a fact and its not MS and SOny's fault that Ninty and Sega consoles, especially Sega couldnt get their crap together. Sure it didnt help but lets not act like those two companies are infalible and they didnt mess up, if you dont believe that then you are blind

DevilRising said:
KungKras said:

I would far rather that Sega still made consoles, and that Microsoft didn't, if that's what you mean. I'd far rather that the only console makers were actual VIDEO GAMES companies like Nintendo, Sega, Atari, whatever, instead of megacorporations that put out very corporate products.

For THAT matter though, I miss the good ol days, when console games were CONSOLE games, and PC games were PC GAMES. As in that's all they were for. You want console games, you play a fucking console. You want PC games (which usually indicated types of games you generally only found ON PC), then you play the PC. It was nice, because you had both, and personally I LIKED both. And I liked them being two seperate things.

Nowadays, PC is practically treated like another console, which is rather silly, and because of things like Steam, PC gets ports of practically everything. I just don't really see the point of it. I think that once upon a time, PC gaming used to be rather unique and iventive. Not anymore. Now, it's all intermingled, and that, to an "old timer" like myself, is just....what's the expression I'm looking for.......ah yes, "Fucking stupid".

But hey.

Neither of you are stupid, far from it, you just sound like one of those old bitter "back in my days" guys who feel there way was better, and hell you might be right. But things change, deal with it. SOme of us have some of the same problems, but you could always just sit out a gen. Thats what ill probably do sans portables.

I'm very excited for E3. Bored as fuck of current gen... will buy maybe 3 more PS3 games then I'm done

My problem isn't with graphics as I'm not to big on that. inFamous 1 is still great fun to me and Crysis 3 on max puts me to sleep. What's been shown for the PS4 was damn impressive to me. Looks comparable to what I'm playing on PC now. In a few years, it should look damn fine.

What i'll be buying the PS4 for is the exclusive. Games on PC have just been so cheap compared to what I was used to on PS3 that I can't see myself buying multiplats on console anymore.

4 ≈ One