By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else NOT excited for the next gen consoles?

oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
KungKras said:

Gen 8 will be the gen of retro gaming.

I bet all of you guys miss Sega now huh?

This is the natural step that follows when you let companies like MS and Sony take over gaming.

I would far rather that Sega still made consoles, and that Microsoft didn't, if that's what you mean. I'd far rather that the only console makers were actual VIDEO GAMES companies like Nintendo, Sega, Atari, whatever, instead of megacorporations that put out very corporate products.

For THAT matter though, I miss the good ol days, when console games were CONSOLE games, and PC games were PC GAMES. As in that's all they were for. You want console games, you play a fucking console. You want PC games (which usually indicated types of games you generally only found ON PC), then you play the PC. It was nice, because you had both, and personally I LIKED both. And I liked them being two seperate things.

Nowadays, PC is practically treated like another console, which is rather silly, and because of things like Steam, PC gets ports of practically everything. I just don't really see the point of it. I think that once upon a time, PC gaming used to be rather unique and iventive. Not anymore. Now, it's all intermingled, and that, to an "old timer" like myself, is just....what's the expression I'm looking for.......ah yes, "Fucking stupid".

But hey.

Neither of you are stupid, far from it, you just sound like one of those old bitter "back in my days" guys who feel there way was better, and hell you might be right. But things change, deal with it. SOme of us have some of the same problems, but you could always just sit out a gen. Thats what ill probably do sans portables.

Actually, I'm not gonna deal with it. If gaming leaves me, then I'll leave gaming. Gaming is not essential to my life. Sitting out next gen is my plan atm, unless Wii U gets it together.

EDIT, I'm probably bitter, but I'm not that old :P. I grew up with N64, but playing the NES and Megadrive a lot retroactively did make me disilutioned about modern gaming.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
oniyide said:
KungKras said:
oniyide said:
KungKras said:

This is the natural step that follows when you let companies like MS and Sony take over gaming.

Yeah because Ninty has been REALLY killing it all these years and those systems Sony and MS made were REALLY terrible. Please.

This is the logical conclusion of companies like Sony and MS entering gaming. If you can not see that, you are blind. This is what they strived for since the beginning. Industrialize, monetize, standardize.

Also, if the PS consoles never existed, you can bet the Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, would have all had better libraries than the PS2 and HD twins of our reality.

You dont know that for a fact and its not MS and SOny's fault that Ninty and Sega consoles, especially Sega couldnt get their crap together. Sure it didnt help but lets not act like those two companies are infalible and they didnt mess up, if you dont believe that then you are blind

I'm convinced of it to keep saying it with a straight face, at least. I truly belive gaming would have been better if all that PS1 third party support was split among the N64 and Saturn. Ditto for PS2 and Dreamcast. I mean, Nintendo first party plus those games, that library would have been out of this world.

I LOVE ICELAND!

We will see a big contraction, hw manufacturers are to blame

my predictions are as follows

Prediccion de 43m de ventas mundiales para Navidades del 2020 (Xbox one)
30m USA ; 10m EU; 1m Japan 2m rest

WiiU habra vendido para la misma fecha 50m
20m USA; 15m EU; 10m Japan; 5m rest

Sony PS4 vendera 65m en el mismo periodo
15m USA; 30m EU; 10m Japan; 10 rest

Graphics wise I think people are being too quick to judge. Most of these next gen games are cross platform or launch titles in the case of Killzone (which I think looks great), forza etc.

When we glimpse gen of titles which aren't targeted for launch or Gen 2 games at e3 (I'm sure they'll be a few TBA teasers), then we can start judging the size of the jump.

At the moment im enjoying the 3DS and the Vita alot more.

In time i am sure to get a PS4 and probably a Wii U aswell, but atm theres no rush.

Around the Network

I more of a casual gamer, playing mostly on Wii and nowadays progressively more on my mobile devices.

WiiU completely missed the point IMO.
PS4 - too little innovation / graphical improvement over current gen. It now has a 'Share' button. Ooohhh, ahhhh.
Xbox One - media features are nice, but there's smart TVs with cameras on them now which will do all this within a couple years - including Android games (or poss Gaikai(Sony) or Windows/Xbox live) so I see little value in Xbox One at the moment.

With Android and cloud gaming moving onto Smart TVs 90% of the people will see little point in owning a gaming console as well. It's redundant. And none of the big 3 have offered a compelling reason why I should get their new console. I can use the current ones for another couple years and then play games direct off the TV thereafter.

I think MS is aware of this though and we may see more (Kinect-related) at E3. PS4 will stumble (aside from core gamers no one will appreciate how it's different from PS3) and WiiU was always DoA. As is, Xbox One will do best of the three but still fail to reach the sales of any current gen system.

Nintendo or MS would be best served making motion controls (or virtual reality or holograms or surround imagery or something) more immersive and compelling creating a very distinct difference between the gameplay they offer and what will be commonly available to everyone for next to nothing (Android/cloud gaming) on every screen in the house. Without that console gaming will be irrelevant within a few short years.

KungKras said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
KungKras said:

I would far rather that Sega still made consoles, and that Microsoft didn't, if that's what you mean. I'd far rather that the only console makers were actual VIDEO GAMES companies like Nintendo, Sega, Atari, whatever, instead of megacorporations that put out very corporate products.

For THAT matter though, I miss the good ol days, when console games were CONSOLE games, and PC games were PC GAMES. As in that's all they were for. You want console games, you play a fucking console. You want PC games (which usually indicated types of games you generally only found ON PC), then you play the PC. It was nice, because you had both, and personally I LIKED both. And I liked them being two seperate things.

Nowadays, PC is practically treated like another console, which is rather silly, and because of things like Steam, PC gets ports of practically everything. I just don't really see the point of it. I think that once upon a time, PC gaming used to be rather unique and iventive. Not anymore. Now, it's all intermingled, and that, to an "old timer" like myself, is just....what's the expression I'm looking for.......ah yes, "Fucking stupid".

But hey.

Neither of you are stupid, far from it, you just sound like one of those old bitter "back in my days" guys who feel there way was better, and hell you might be right. But things change, deal with it. SOme of us have some of the same problems, but you could always just sit out a gen. Thats what ill probably do sans portables.

Actually, I'm not gonna deal with it. If gaming leaves me, then I'll leave gaming. Gaming is not essential to my life. Sitting out next gen is my plan atm, unless Wii U gets it together.

EDIT, I'm probably bitter, but I'm not that old :P. I grew up with N64, but playing the NES and Megadrive a lot retroactively did make me disilutioned about modern gaming.

fair enough, ill probably be doing the same. I used to be bitter too. hell i was bitter before you even started gaming. BUt i stopped and now im indifferent. More money in my pocket.

KungKras said:
oniyide said:
KungKras said:
oniyide said:
KungKras said:

Yeah because Ninty has been REALLY killing it all these years and those systems Sony and MS made were REALLY terrible. Please.

This is the logical conclusion of companies like Sony and MS entering gaming. If you can not see that, you are blind. This is what they strived for since the beginning. Industrialize, monetize, standardize.

Also, if the PS consoles never existed, you can bet the Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, would have all had better libraries than the PS2 and HD twins of our reality.

You dont know that for a fact and its not MS and SOny's fault that Ninty and Sega consoles, especially Sega couldnt get their crap together. Sure it didnt help but lets not act like those two companies are infalible and they didnt mess up, if you dont believe that then you are blind

I'm convinced of it to keep saying it with a straight face, at least. I truly belive gaming would have been better if all that PS1 third party support was split among the N64 and Saturn. Ditto for PS2 and Dreamcast. I mean, Nintendo first party plus those games, that library would have been out of this world.

If thats what you believe then so be it, not much proof anyway unless you got Fringe tech and can find out. For me its about the games and Sony systems and xbox even have delivered those in spades, you had to get a Ninty system and something else to get them, well thats what we all had to do or sit some games out. IMHO Ninty messed up with there cartridges so they would have been screwed SOny or not. 

Metallicube said:

I've palyed Wii U at a friend's house. Nintendo Land to be specific. It just felt awkward for me to constantly look up and down from the gamepad screen to the TV screen. Playing that Donkey Kong game on Nintendo Land, I felt like my head was spinning. But to be fair, the games I played with the Wiimote, I did enjoy. THAT'S what Wii U should have been in the first place. Just more fleshed out Wiimote games, without that silly second-rate tablet. I dunno, maybe they just haven't sold me on it yet.

I'm not ruling anything out for the future. But as of now, Wii U doesn't do it for me, especially at a $350 price tag. Lower the price $100 and give me a solid Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and 3D Mario, then we'll talk. Until then, the thing just doesn't appeal to me like past Nintendo consoles have. Still looks more appealing than the PS4 and especially Xbox One though, in all fairness.

To be fair, in my personal estimation, Nintendo Land was an utter waste. It was SUCH a great concept, "Hey let's have a bunch of little games based on Nintendo franchises". On paper, that sounded awesome. The way that it actually worked out, however, as you say, was NOT ideal, and I wound up trading the game in. I was very disappointed in it. And yes, the Donkey Kong game especially made me want to punch myself in the face. Just bad game design to ask you to do THAT many different things in a row, including blowing in the fucking mic. lol

But, I'll also say that judging the Wii U based on Nintendo Land, and using that one game experience to write off the whole system is about as pointless as people who claimed "Yeah I played the Wii and didn't like it" becasue they tried Wii Sports at a friend's house and weren't into the way that game played. It's assuming all games are going to play that way, and of course that's not true. In all honesty, Wii Sports was a good game, MUCH better than Nintendo Land, and still holds up today. I think it was a much better system seller than NL is, and a much better, more fun to play package overall.

BUT, if someone judged the Wii only on Wii Sports, and never looked beyond that, they would have missed out on a GREAT deal of really good games: Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars II, RE4: Wii Edition, de Blob, Mushroom Men, Little King's Story, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, NSMB Wii, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Wario Land, Monster Hunter 3, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Okami remake, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Xenoblade, Red Steel 2, Mario Party 9, The Munchables, Boom Blox, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, MadWorld, both Kirby games, Goldeneye, etc. etc. etc.

It'll no doubt be no different with the Wii U. I can already say that most Wii U games out right now (what few of them there are), play nothing like Nintendo Land, so that was really a honestly a horrible barometer of what the system, and controller, is all about. I certainly wouldn't call the GamePad a "second rate tablet". It's not a tablet at all. It's a regular controller, with 8-axis motion sensing, and a gigantic DS-style touch screen, that can also be used to play games off-tv, which is a really nice feature. NSMBU, naturally, works fabulously and makes very little use of the controller at all. Just like many great Wii games made little if any use of the motion control or IR functions of the Wiimote. That was what was nice about Wii, was it offered a lot of variety in control/gaming styles. I think Wii U will be no different, with the GamePad, Wiimote, classic controller, etc. But other games, such as Batman, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, Need for Speed, Scribblenauts, they all work great. And especially Lego City Undercover, I've had a lot of fun with.

And with new Mario, Zelda, Watch Dogs, Sonic, Mario Kart, etc. etc. etc. etc. on the horizon.....yeah, I think you should at least adopt a wait and see policy.

Cheers!

KungKras said:
oniyide said:

I know for a fact that had it not been for the cartridge vs. CD issue, many major 3rd party developers, including Capcom, Squaresoft, Konami, Enix, etc., would absolutely have stuck with Nintendo. After all, why not? Their games were the biggest success on Nintendo consoles in the previous generations, and Nintendo conosles has been the birthplace of many of their greatest, biggest "cash cow" franchises, such as Castlevania, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc.

And regardless, even WITH  the cartridge medium, take out the FMV and whatnot, games like FFVII, Sympony of the Night, the PS1 Mega Man X games, Dragon Quest VII, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc. etc., would have run just as well, and in some cases (more powerful hardware, smoother graphics), better on the N64. It's a very moot point at this juncture, but it's also true. There was a big obsession with FMV, that happened to take up a lot of disc space, and thus, many companies went with Playstation, not because they had anything against Nintendo, or as rumors have stated in the past, that they were "bitter over Nintendo's policies". Why be bitter when they had made a lot of money on Nintendo consoles? Fact was, CDs were cheaper to manufacture so they didn't have to spend as much, and they could slap FMV all over the place. So they went Sony.