By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA upset with Nintendo for not blocking used games? Possible pressure from EA for Sony to follow?

If the xbox sale well, Sony will have to follow. If not, they can tell them it's with or without them

Around the Network

I just pray Nintendo does not pull stupid stunts like Microsoft did. Nintendo is doing tremendous things without doing the same crap Sony and Microsoft are doing. If you have companies like EA (Do Wii U fans or owners even care about them?) who do not want to work with Nintendo and the consumer the correct way. Well then Screw them! Nintendo stick to what is working

zumnupy10 said:
Nintendo's attitude is very noble and consumer friendly.

It's not so much that Nintendo is being noble.

Rather, Nintendo knows that their games rarely end up on the used game market in any large numbers. That's why their games hold their value so long, why Nintendo games released for the Wii in 2006 and 2007 were still at or near full price in 2009, while games like Call of Duty were down to a fraction of their launch price.

Nintendo recognises that it's the developer's job to prevent their games from turning up on the used game market, by making it less likely for the customer to want to sell the game.

That Nintendo's attitude is consumer-friendly is a side-effect, rather than inherent part of their attitude.

vgchartz, where wild speculation is treated as fact

Nyleveia said:
vgchartz, where wild speculation is treated as fact

It is so wild /s

EA: We have zero games for Wii U in development right now

EA Sports Employee: Wii U is crap, blah blah blah

EA: No more online passes (some positive feedback for them)

Yesterday: Used games require a fee, if the game is "new" the fee is full price.

Though today there is a thread pointing to mention of EA having somethings in development for Nintendo, it remains to be seen what, or if it is true.
These things are not wild speculation, that would be like saying, EA plans to give games away for free and offer free dlc.. which would be something based on zero facts or other evidence of any kind.

Around the Network

i dont think so... isn't the wii U software tied to the user and console if downloaded from their e-shop? if EA didn't want used games on wii U just release them in the e-shop only and no second hand game market in Wii U, same as Xbox One... if nintendo is so into this with their e-shop tittles, why would they stop the DRM at retail games and get into this huge fight with EA over retail copies? does not make sense... again, my guess is NO, this is not the reason for EA and nintendo to be so unfriendly with each other.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
i dont think so... isn't the wii U software tied to the user and console if downloaded from their e-shop? if EA didn't want used games on wii U just release them in the e-shop only and no second hand game market in Wii U, same as Xbox One... if nintendo is so into this with their e-shop tittles, why would they stop the DRM at retail games and get into this huge fight with EA over retail copies? does not make sense... again, my guess is NO, this is not the reason for EA and nintendo to be so unfriendly with each other.

Because much of EA's revenue comes from the kind of people unwilling or unable to buy digitally?

Aside from the fact that Nintendo is (hopefully) fixing that problem with Wii U downloads...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
sergiodaly said:

Because much of EA's revenue comes from the kind of people unwilling or unable to buy digitally?

Aside from the fact that Nintendo is (hopefully) fixing that problem with Wii U downloads...

with Xbox One needing online connection to active and after that it installs the whole game in the hard drive and the BD disc is to be stored and "never" used again... whats the difference? is there but is slim, very slim...

still EA would be making more money from e-shop than the actual nothing they are making now with all this mess. my opinion is still the same... its something else.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Serious_frusting said:
Bleh, I wouldn't have bowed down to these publishers. I mean how hard can it be to create a sports game? Sony already has the best baseball game around

Depending on the sport, it can be extremely difficult. Mostly because the NFL and MLB, at least, have severe restrictions on who can use their licenses.

sergiodaly said:

with Xbox One needing online connection to active and after that it installs the whole game in the hard drive and the BD disc is to be stored and "never" used again... whats the difference? is there but is slim, very slim...

still EA would be making more money from e-shop than the actual nothing they are making now with all this mess. my opinion is still the same... its something else.

It's actually quite a big difference. The audience that visits the eShop (or any of the digital console stores) is dwarfed by the audience that still buys retail. Making your game eShop-exclusive is a great way to ensure you're lucky to hit 100,000 sales.