By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Can Claim It Won The Last Console Generation - Molyneux

Tagged games:

ironmanDX said:
I'm with him. Microsoft won easily..... All you Ninty and Sony fans should bow at the knee.

I'm kidding of course. Imagine if I was like that?

lol but it's "bend the knee" and anyone can claim they won a generation.  Sony may pass the Wii in total sales and say "We won!" at E3 2016 or whatever but it doesn't make it true.  "Won" isn't a solid term because it could mean you grew the most (marketshare or in total sales or mindshare), you sold the most overal, you made the most profit, or a million other things.  It just depends what you want to use to claim victory because you're going to say that the part you did best in is what determines who "wins"

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

As someone who mostly prefers Sony, I must say I agree with Molyneux on this one.

Peter Molyneux is British so not sure how this is an American centric point of view. 

They can claim it, but theyd be wrong.

pezus said:

Molyneux says that "rightfully, Microsoft can claim it won the last console generation" but also adds Microsoft's 'big prize' has been the living room.

Molyneux also says that Microsoft's competition "is no longer Sony and Nintendo, but rather Apple, Google and Samsung."

So even Molyneux is implying it is a Pyrrhic victory?  While Microsoft focused on the living room, they lost the war for people's pockets.

That's of course not even getting into the dubious claim that they won the generation.

Around the Network

kowenicki said:

My othe rpost sums it up.

as of right now Nintendo gained the most this gen in all aspects, Sony lost the most in all aspects.

So how "Microsoft won this generation"?

You can claim they did better than Sony but that not means won but I agree PR talk.

I'm so freaking tired of this dude! He used to make great games, but now... fuckin' stupid ass idiot. Ok, I'm being a bit too harsh, but I still don't like him!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

The goal-post moving continues even after the generation's end. My my.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I would say they did if it wasn't for the fact that 360 hasn't been very profitable compared to the Wii. Otherwise, they got mad marketshare, released a ton of great games, helped changed the whole company's image for the better (not just the Xbox brand), and they've performed consistently throughout the gen and they have momentum going into the next. PS3 had a crazy turn-around and Wii made a shitload of money, but they both fell flat in more areas than the 360.

Nintendo still won in how many consoles were sold and how much money they made, but as a video game system, the 360 was better.