By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Can Claim It Won The Last Console Generation - Molyneux

Tagged games:

VGKing said:
No they can't. They can claim the biggest gains in marketshare gen-over-gen though.

Huh? When did the GCN outsell the original Xbox?

Around the Network

Yeah, it's like the American dream, total bs once you look at data.
They improved over last gen, but I would not call them the winner of the gen.
That title belongs to the folks that created the Wii and the DS.

happydolphin said:
VGKing said:
No they can't. They can claim the biggest gains in marketshare gen-over-gen though.

Wouldn't that go to Nintendo?

You're right about that. 

MS just handed next gen over to sony, can't play used game without an additional fee, (confirms always online), current gen graphics, box looks ugly and expensive, Kinect 2 is mandatory, pay to play online, need a separate device to use TV functions.
I have never seen a console announcement this bad in my life, this fail is legendary!!!

They lost total shipped to PS3 finally back in December 31st 2012, didn't they? And they're about to total sold in a few weeks/months, aren't they?

I think instead what they can say is they won a region, in fact the most important region for game sales at least for now and some good time into the future (unless you count the Wii, but at this point I put Nintendo's home consoles in a whole separate category much like handhelds and tablets considering the hardware tends to be about a gen behind and multiplats are "unique" like those you see on tablets and phones in the event it gets current multiplats at all), and that their market share exploded where as Sony's only shrunk. They can also point on they didn't take on losses in total this gen unlike Sony, that they've begun paying down the losses of last gen instead.

I think while Sony won/is about to win in terms of total units out there and that gap will only widen with time, I do think Microsoft was really the big winner here all things considered. This was the gen where the Xbox brand really broke out and became a key player.

Around the Network

loy310 said:

can't play used game without an additional fee, (confirms always online)

Well, it doesn't quite confirm always online, which would keep open the possibility that their recent statement to Geoff isn't a lie, but it DOES confirm that you need online at some point in time to play a single player game. Frankly, that's disappointing enough in my book.

loy310 said:

MS just handed next gen over to sony, can't play used game without an additional fee, (confirms always online), current gen graphics, box looks ugly and expensive, Kinect 2 is mandatory, pay to play online, need a separate device to use TV functions.
I have never seen a console announcement this bad in my life, this fail is legendary!!!

Posts like these are full of lulz

yo_john117 said:
loy310 said:

Posts like these are full of lulz

Console reveal like these are full of luz ;-D

How ironic of you Kowen. You're the one constantly criticizing Sony for "spinning" now you're justifying this?

OT: Nintendo won no questions asked.

Nintendo won.
Microsoft did good.
Sony managed to keep themselves relevant.