By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Wish Microsoft Never Entered The Gaming Business (From a Nintendo POV)

I can see the reasoning behind this. Nintendo had a strong niche in the North American market especially with the N64, and then Microsoft came in with a console that was basically 100% North America focused and sort of forced Nintendo out.

Though my guess is that Nintendo's move towards a more Japanese orientation started with Iwata coming in simply because of how badly the PS1 thrashed the 64 on its home turf and especially in regards to Japanese third parties, creating a fixation of Nintendo's that hasn't gone away even as the Japanese home console market loses relevance.

Nintendo's big miss that few people talk about, though, is emerging markets, although it's harder to see that on VGC since a lot of key Nintendo fans are from the "margins," like Austrian Rol or Ecuadorian Morenoingrato.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
I think Nintendo should stick to make software and peripheries to Microsoft. That's the perfect combination.

The best in platform and somewhat JRPG with the best in action adventure games, arcades and multi-plats.

Nintendo is in no danger of leaving the console making business for a good long while. Even if the Wii U fails they still have plenty of cash on hand to reinvest.

Mr Khan said:
I can see the reasoning behind this. Nintendo had a strong niche in the North American market especially with the N64, and then Microsoft came in with a console that was basically 100% North America focused and sort of forced Nintendo out.

Though my guess is that Nintendo's move towards a more Japanese orientation started with Iwata coming in simply because of how badly the PS1 thrashed the 64 on its home turf and especially in regards to Japanese third parties, creating a fixation of Nintendo's that hasn't gone away even as the Japanese home console market loses relevance.

Nintendo's big miss that few people talk about, though, is emerging markets, although it's harder to see that on VGC since a lot of key Nintendo fans are from the "margins," like Austrian Rol or Ecuadorian Morenoingrato.

Yeah that too, once Halo come around, Nintendo's days as being the FPS console of choice were basically over.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The way MS harmed the industry even though they've helped with online is by empowering asshole companies like EA and Activision to nickel and dime customers. Any decision EA and Activision seems to make they are more than happy with even though the consumers hate it. Bobby Kotick loves the thought of Xbox Live and capitalized on getting his share out of that. DLC all day. American corporate mentality.

Most of the time I do not agree with you, but bloody hell these are the few shining moments I just want to kiss you lad!

On a serious note, I really don't mind Microsoft coming in to the market, but the negative things they came with really felt like as a gamer I got into a dirty-pleasure that took my innocence...

Cripes, I feel stained. -_-'

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The way MS harmed the industry even though they've helped with online is by empowering asshole companies like EA and Activision to nickel and dime customers. Any decision EA and Activision seems to make they are more than happy with even though the consumers hate it. Bobby Kotick loves the thought of Xbox Live and capitalized on getting his share out of that. DLC all day. American corporate mentality.

Most of the time I do not agree with you, but bloody hell these are the few shining moments I just want to kiss you lad!

On a serious note, I really don't mind Microsoft coming in to the market, but the negative things they came with really felt like as a gamer I got into a dirty-pleasure that took my innocence...

Cripes, I feel stained. -_-'

I can't believe this, I totally agree.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:

Excuse me? Austria is a mature market.

I tend to think the focal points of Europe are Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK and France, though i suppose Austria and Switzerland would then be so easy to lump in with the others as no matter.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

spurgeonryan said:
I am glad they did. Gave Sony someone else to compete against. Which gave the Wii free reign this gen for the longest time. Also, there will always be threats. If a company cannot learn to handle these threats and still be prosperous, then maybe they should think about downsizing. So far, Nintendo has survived. Wii U is a big test though. They past the 3DS test though, even in a mobile flooded market.

In summary they make one hell of a distraction for Sony so Nintendo can pick up the pieces. LOL

I disagree. I'm very happy to see someone keeping Sony on its toes and more or less letting Nintendo be... well... Nintendo.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

i sort of agree with this post and at the same time i don't. I don't necessarily wish the non-exsistence of microsoft so much as i wish there were only 2 consoles. Imagine buy 2 consoles and therefore having all system exclusives. I very much agree with the FACT that competition breeds creativity which is why i don't go all out and say just one system. I actually had this bit of "dread" when i heard about the playstation, (then sega died) and again when i heard about microsoft.... no casualties YET. Anyway, that's my perspective.

I agree in some ways. While Microsoft has made major innovation in the terms of online gaming, they also are completely responsible for the presence of "hardcore" gamers that play games more based on source material than gameplay. This is the reason I prefer Nintendo and Sony over Microsoft. They also charge for online service among other things. This is a main reason Nintendo and Sony aren't doing as well as they could in America. Some ignorant western gamers that don't want to play Mario or LBP because it's viewed as "kiddy".

It's a sad day in gaming. But they're more important things happening in the world right now; Third parties are killing the Wii U, African kids are staving, and not to mention Asians and their never ending pursuit to not look Asian. Yep, all the World's ills, sitting on chrome 24-inch worlds.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew