By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Mourinho's Failure

A King's Cup final defeat against Atletico Madrid capped the worst season of Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho's career, the Portuguese said on Friday after the 2-1 loss left him without a major title this season.

Widely expected to move on at the end of the campaign and linked with a return to Chelsea, a grim-faced Mourinho gave little away about his future but said Real, the world's richest club by income, had suffered a "disastrous" season, with only a Spanish Super Cup added to the trophy cabinet.

The extra-time defeat to city rivals Atletico, all the more painful as it came at Real's Bernabeu stadium and included the dismissal of Mourinho from the bench in the second half, followed defeat toBorussia Dortmund in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

They also failed to defend their La Liga crown, with Barcelona wrapping up a fourth title in five years last weekend.

"My career has been over many years not just one year," Mourinho told a post-match news conference, adding that Atletico had not deserved to win the final.

"This is the worst season of my career with a title which is not sufficient for me or for a club like Real Madrid," the Portuguese said.

"That means it's a bad season, with a final, a semi-final and a second place and a Super Cup."

Mourinho defended his record since joining Real from Inter Milan in 2010, noting Real had beaten Barcelona, who he described as "the best team in the world", to win the King's Cup in his first season.

In typically combative style, he went on to remind reporters that Real had set a record points total in winning La Liga the following season and had reached the Champions League semi-finals three times on the trot.

"The third season with these results has been a failed season, it's a disastrous season," he said.

"What would be a good season for a lot of coaches but for me is the worst.

"As I have said before when things go well it's the merit of everybody and when things go badly it's the coach's fault.

"This has been my worst season because it's the first season in which I have not won an important title."

Asked about his future, he repeated that he would discuss it with Real president Florentino Perez after Real's remaining two La Liga matches.

Spanish media have reported that Perez is lining up Paris St Germain's Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti to replace Mourinho.

"I have a contract for three more years," Mourinho said.

"I still haven't sat down yet with the president yet to talk about the future.

"I think it's normal, very normal to talk about Ancelotti or any other coach.

"It's absolutely normal to talk about whether I am going to Chelsea or anywhere else.

"What I can promise is honesty and that once I have sat down with the president and we have decided that the club will make it public immediately."

_____

I can't deny it, I am absolutely thrilled by this awful performance of Mourinho this season. This guy although a great manager is an arrogant narcissistic scum. 

Around the Network

lets be honest here, mourinho's 3 year spell at madrid was a huge fucking failure. the guy is given a great team built by the amazing pellegrini (who built a team that managed 96 points in the league). he is given the most expensive team in history. i mean for fucks sake two players in his reserves cost 100+ million, kaka, and modric. his teams costs around 400 million yet they got knocked out from a team that costs 30 million. the guy only won a league and a spanish cup in 3 years. he failed big time with madrid

did he win the league at real,i can't remember he did once right,still a good guy to have in football,dont mind if he comes back to england he keeps the press in check over here

is ronaldo leaving too,doesn't seem likely but they seem to like headlining it obviously

Above & Beyond

Real Madrid lost the final with Diego Lopez and Albiol playing instead of Casillas and Pepe because Mourinho choosed to do so.

atletico are pretty good team at the moment though aren't they,i know ronaldo is up there but who else have real got upfront scoring seems like they need someone better up there aswell seeing as they are the real ,are they a bit short?

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
atletico are pretty good team at the moment though aren't they,i know ronaldo is up there but who else have real got upfront scoring seems like they need someone better up there aswell seeing as they are the real ,are they a bit short?

Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuaín, both scored 20+ goals in la liga last season, but their perfomance this year has been weak.

Atletico is probably going to sell Falcao this summer so they'll be weaker next season.

Player2 said:
zuvuyeay said:

Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuaín, both scored 20+ goals in la liga last season, but their perfomance this year has been weak.

Atletico is probably going to sell Falcao this summer so they'll be weaker next season.

so it is just benzema and higuain,good players but like you say not done it this season,they say benzema a bit over rated/priced too but i don't see him every week,

where is falcao going to go,he will cost a fair bit,must be psg or man city i guess

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
Player2 said:
zuvuyeay said:

so it is just benzema and higuain,good players but like you say not done it this season,they say benzema a bit over rated/priced too but i don't see him every week,

where is falcao going to go,he will cost a fair bit,must be psg or man city i guess

Mourinho played with only one pure centre forward, so spending a ton of money in a guy to be the fourth forward (so he'll be warming the bench 90% of the time) after those two and CR7 (he played in that position sometimes) didn't sound like a good idea last summer.

Plus Morata and José from Madrid B are promising.

Higuaín had a three month long injury this season.

The new salary cap in the Premier has made things more complex for Falcao.

Well, you can't win every season right?
So he lost to Dortmund, Barcelona and Atletico who have a terrific season.

He's an ass in the media and although he is a good coach, his teams play terrible to watch football.

Player2 said:
zuvuyeay said:
Player2 said:
zuvuyeay said:

Mourinho played with only one pure centre forward, so spending a ton of money in a guy to be the fourth forward (so he'll be warming the bench 90% of the time) after those two and CR7 (he played in that position sometimes) didn't sound like a good idea last summer.

Plus Morata and José from Madrid B are promising.

Higuaín had a three month long injury this season.

The new salary cap in the Premier has made things more complex for Falcao.

thats true he only really plays one striker so no point bottling up wages

no salry cap over here unless you mean platinis FFP or wages cannot be over 65% of turnover (something like that) but they just cut £100 billion sponsor deals with their super rich owners if need be

Above & Beyond