By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT5 passes Halo Reach in global lifetime sales!

JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Did I not say that this thread would turn out bad XD

And for the people responding to me about 6 games vs 3 or whatever, I am saying Halo sold more games this gen.

Halo averaged over 6m a year through 6 years and GT averaged over 3m in 5 years. That is what I was saying.

Please stay on topic. This is not about comparing franchises.

Telling me to stay on topic? lol nothing in this thread is on topic by this point including you lol 

So you admit you were off topic? Good. Finally taking some responsibility.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Carl2291 said:
JayWood2010 said:

And for the people responding to me about 6 games vs 3 or whatever, I am saying Halo sold more games this gen.

Halo averaged over 6m a year through 6 years and GT averaged over 3m in 5 years. That is what I was saying.

The problem with the post would be that it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. The topic was about Halo Reach and Gran Turismo 5, with the possiblity of GT5 "reaching" Halo 3.

You completely ignored the OP. You didnt discuss anything in the OP. You compared the franchises as a whole. Comparing the entire franchises for the generation was pointless. It was pure deflection. It was pure damage control. It was purely off topic.

That was/is the problem people had with it.

Let's be honest about things.  This thread was a bad idea.  Go ahead and ignore my comparison  as well as the other 20 comparisons in this thread.  No big deal.

The only reason to put GT vs Halo is to get a rise out of people.

Why is it a bad idea? Because this particular Halo title didn't "win"?

Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Please stay on topic. This is not about comparing franchises.

Telling me to stay on topic? lol nothing in this thread is on topic by this point including you lol 

So you admit you were off topic? Good. Finally taking some responsibility.

So that needed to be a reply?  Maybe you should realize that you are off topic so stop pointing fingers.

kowenicki said:
Jay520 said:
kowenicki said:

Thanks. We can now only compare games that release at the same time. That's helpful for future discussions.

come on, this is ridiculous.

No, I didn't say that. You can compare whatever you want. But if you want to see which gamse have sold better, then it makes sense to compare games that released at the same time, for obvious reasons. That's why I don't understand why you're calling this comparison "pointless." It makes much more sense to compare those games than GT5 and Halo 3. This is definitely thread worthy.

In fact, I remember PLENTY of threads back in the day predicting which would sell more between GT5 and Reach. They were quite huge. I can bring them up if you'd like. You probably posted in them, too. I will find them and bump them for you. Don't stealth edit your posts either.

Here you go...

from the original thread.

im one of those posters with some consistency.  

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4497403

Your lack of intelligence is certainly consistent.

modreated Kasz216

Talal said:
JayWood2010 said:
Carl2291 said:
JayWood2010 said:

The problem with the post would be that it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. The topic was about Halo Reach and Gran Turismo 5, with the possiblity of GT5 "reaching" Halo 3.

You completely ignored the OP. You didnt discuss anything in the OP. You compared the franchises as a whole. Comparing the entire franchises for the generation was pointless. It was pure deflection. It was pure damage control. It was purely off topic.

Let's be honest about things.  This thread was a bad idea.  Go ahead and ignore my comparison  as well as the other 20 comparisons in this thread.  No big deal.

No lol  First off tell me why Halo and GT is pitted against one another?  Be honest here.

Also tell me why he chooses a game that isn't the top selling Halo?  It would be a little more news worthy if it was  Halo 3

Around the Network
Mazty said:

1. Basic statistics. Don't skip a week because you think you know what is going to happen....

2. A market is a dynamic thing - lifetime sales are useful, but only part of a bigger picture. And no, you can't predict what the difference is going to be. Who would have guessed the PS3 would have sold almost the exact amount as the 360 at the end of their cycles? You act as if it's a universal law that consoles have to sell within 1-2 mill of each other - go look at the 6th gen. 

3. If it is objective than explain....Also flawed logic - bigger exclusive =/= fans will buy console for that game. It may be part of the reason, it may be the soul reason, but you are jumping to a hell of a conclusion by saying "Whoever has the bigger exclusive title obviously has more fans willing to buy a console for that exclusive" 

4. Very true, but you don't need to compare Halo to GT to see that either are currently popular franchises that will succeed with at least one sequel on the next gen consoles. You can compare Halo to other xbox  games to see it's success. Pitting it against a PS3 franchise of a different genre seems like shit stirring. 

5. With such a minute difference in sales? Unlikely. If we compare GT to Zelda, than you have a more valid point, but picking apart tiny differences, as I said, seems more like finding fuel for console flames. 

1. I didn't say you should skip a weeks. I said it is pointless to talk about it. If you see the sales for a week, and realize it's nearly exactly the same as the ten weeks prior, would you say it's "pointless" to talk about it.

2. True, no one would have predicted the PS3 would have caught the 360 maybe back in 2007-8. But for the past several years, people have anticipated this event to come, so it really isn't surprising at all. Not only is it not surprising, but it also doesn't mean a thing. When the PS3 passes the 360 what's going to happen? Nothing. So considering the fact that it's (a) not surprising, and (b) has no considerable impact on the real world, would you say it's "pointless" to talk about it when it does happen.

3. Obviously we cannot predict with certainty how loyal a fanbase is, but sales can give us a guideline. All things equal, It is more likely that an exclusive with a bigger fanbase will result in more fans willing to buy a new console. 

4. It's important to know their relative difference because now we know that if both the PS4 and Nextbox launch with their respective big exclusives, they will be on even ground. Is that not an interesting fact?

5. You could switch it around if you want. Like I said above, you can say that because GT and Halo sell similarly, their impact on hardware sales will be fairly similar. 

JayWood2010 said:
Talal said:
JayWood2010 said:
Carl2291 said:
JayWood2010 said:

No lol  First off tell me why Halo and GT is pitted against one another?  Be honest here.

Also tell me why he chooses a game that isn't the top selling Halo?  It would be a little more news worthy if it was  Halo 3

1- Because both are huge exclusives for Sony and Microsoft. Both pull similarly big numbers.

2- He chose Reach because it's a closer comparison. Closer in release date and closer in number. It would be more news worthy if it passed Halo3 true. Then again I remember your thread about Halo 4 reaching 8 mills, it would have been more news worthy if it reached Black Ops 2 sales.

JayWood2010 said:

Halo and GT are the biggest HD exclusives.

GT5 is compared to Reach because GT5 and Reach released around the same time and thus have had a similar amount of time to sell. This gives a more accurate look into which game is bigger. If you compare a game with a game that's been out years longer, then it won't give you an accurate look into which game is bigger, unless you align launches.

JayWood2010 said:

So that needed to be a reply?  Maybe you should realize that you are off topic so stop pointing fingers.

All of my posts in this thread have been comparing GT5 and Reach - on topic.

JayWood2010 said:

Okay, lets be honest JayWood.

Firstly, I will ignore all the stupid comparisons (From both sides of the argument), because theyre irrelevant.

Secondly, your post in this thread was the first controversial post. You were the first one to go completely off topic. You were the one who started the silly comparisons. Now thats out of the way, I think the actual comparison itself was bullshit and baiting. You didnt regard anything in the OP, you just deflected the topic away from what it was intended to be (GT5, Reach, H3) because you didnt like the outcome. You were biased in your explanations too before you edited them out (Im assuming you edited it to make yourself seem "unbiased").

Now, be honest.

Do you admit that your completely irrelevant off topic comparison post is just there to fan the flames and goad people in to attacking it?

Ill fully admit that my post was taking the piss out of everyone who fell for the OPs obvious trap. Now come on, its your turn. "Lets be honest".

Edit:

JayWood2010 said:

Halo is the 360's biggest exclusive franchise. Gran Turismo is the PS3s biggest exclusive franchise.

Halo Reach and Gran Turismo 5 released within 2 Months of eachother. 

Halo 3 is directly mentioned in the OP you quite clearly havent read.