By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So now that PS3 overtaking 360 is a matter of weeks, how long until it reaches Wii?

when?

2015 78 16.53%

2016 80 16.95%

2017 56 11.86%

2018 34 7.20%

nevurr 224 47.46%

Total:472

Impossible.

Sales will fall off the PS3 over the next 18 months = not a chance in buggery of it happening...

I suspect you're just collecting "points" here though :p

Around the Network
pezus said:
jamesmarkus87 said:
I think you fanboys need to accept that Sony's not going to end this console generation in first place. Even with Gran Turismo 6 coming out, there's still no chance in hell of PS3 overtaking Wii.

I'm sorry that you don't see it that way. It is however undeniable that there is a chance of that happening. 

I fail to see why you guys are so convinced that PS3 will still be manufactured at the end of the decade. PS2 was manufactured for 12 years. But unlike PS3, Sony made a LOT of money from that console. If PS4 truly is a financial success from launch, as Sony claims it will be, why would they want to keep promoting an older console that's more expensive to make?

CGI-Quality said:

I crossed out what's irrelevant, especially since being "costly" means nothing to a thread like this. Now for your chart, we'll see. The PS2 sold quite well early on, despite the PS3's presence. Since the PS3 wil probably be the strongest seller at least through 2016, it has a good chance of selling PS1 numbers.

My theory is that PS2 sold so well at the beginning of the PS3 is because the PS3 was too expensive and didn't had much software, the PS2 continue to had support during the first year of the PS3 on the market. If the PS3 were a success from the beginning the scenario would have been different. The PS2 start losing support when the PS3 pick up. (this is all without counting the emerging markets)

Now having said that I think it will be like this:

1) If the PS4 is a huge success from the beginning it means devs will be focusing on that console, and the PS3 will be for shovelware only (until it eventually dies). The PS3 will dry pretty quickly and thus not passing the Wii.

2) If the PS4 suffers in sales at the beginning it mean devs will still be focusing on the PS3 until the PS4 picks up. This will mean the PS3 will have (most likely) a whole year and half (heck maybe even more time) of complete support and thus more sales. In this case the PS3 will indeed pass the Wii.

Anyway those are my two cents. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

just came here for the lulz

i think 2018, neither will pass ps1.

march 2014:
wii: 102
ps3: 86

march 2015:
wii: 103 (discontonued)
ps3: 93

march 2016:
wii: 103
ps3: 98

march 2017:
ps3: 101

march 2018:
ps3: 103 (discontinued)

Around the Network

My guess (which is all any of us can do) is that it won't. The PS3 won't have the legs the PS2 did, as it wasn't able to achieve that dominant position in the market. This means that the 360 will remain a somewhat viable alternative for consumers looking to adopt late for a "budget" console.

I have no doubt the PS3 will remain on the market for a while, but the sales will dwindle down too much for it to pass the Wii, IMO.

It honestly depends on 1 thing and 1 thing only.

China. Calling it now, if China opens by late 2014 then yeah. The rest of the developing markets are too small (yes even Brazil)

PS3 won't have the same legs as PS2, it's impossible to have em.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

NUNCA

PS2 had about 33% of its sales after PS3 came out. It's been a longer gen so I'll say PS3 gets 25% of its sales as a legacy system (still pretty high only cause it's still $250 so plenty of room for price cuts to spur sales).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

fillet said:
Impossible.

Sales will fall off the PS3 over the next 18 months = not a chance in buggery of it happening...

I suspect you're just collecting "points" here though :p

This. The ps3 was also too expensive for many so we didn't see many early adopters. It will change this gen. 10 year plan is good and all but over 100 million? Not likely.