By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So now that PS3 overtaking 360 is a matter of weeks, how long until it reaches Wii?

when?

2015 78 16.53%

2016 80 16.95%

2017 56 11.86%

2018 34 7.20%

nevurr 224 47.46%

Total:472

Can someone please give a good reason why the PS3 won't outsell the Wii? The Wii is about 22M ahead of the PS3 with the PS3 still being priced higher than the Wii was when it launched. Several countries have yet to adopt the PS3 because it is still too expensive.

Around the Network

What people forget is the PS3 is still $300-$250. When the PS2 welcomed the PS3 into the current gen, it was already sub-$150. It had a FAR deeper market penetration because of it, and it continued to have monstrous sales because of that low price (it was still the best selling console worldwide when Wii debuted in Nov 2006), and then it got a price cut down to $129.99 and later to $99. The PS3 is not near that market saturation, and certainly not in many regions of the world where it's still prohibitively expensive for the mass market.

Sorry. Cant see it happening.

it doesnt matter. sony computer entertainment lost 6 billion dollars with ps3. wii made nintendo 11 billion. sony could have given out every system for free and been in similar shape, so it doesn't matter if they sold a billion consoles, they all were given out for free essentially. so the winner of this console generation in the eyes of the manufacturers and where they want to be in Nintendo. I'm a sony diehard and i know PS4 is Sonys last chance. Sony wont let SCE cripple them again like with PS3. Nintendo has already returned to profit and those billions and billions they have in cash is scary. they can do some crazy things like buy GTA5 outright if they wanted with BIllions and Billions left.

pezus said:
Otakumegane said:
It honestly depends on 1 thing and 1 thing only.

China. Calling it now, if China opens by late 2014 then yeah. The rest of the developing markets are too small (yes even Brazil)

PS3 won't have the same legs as PS2, it's impossible to have em.

As I've repeatedly said: Why does everyone think PS3 needs PS2 legs for this to happen? PS2 went from about 100m to 160m. PS3 only needs to go from ~83-4m to 101m or so

I don't think the price of PS3 can drop enough to be at the "Developing market" range. The Cell and stuff. PS3 is also a lot harder to pirate.

And Bluray isn't a huge selling point in those markets, you'd need an HDTV 1st to truly get the experience. I don't think a lot of there people there have HDTVs. The must've had regular TVs for PS2 though.

And that's the thing, if you don't have an HDTV, why need an HD console? 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Realistically the PS3 won't be able to sell quick enough to surpass the Wii; the Wii would have to stop selling completely for that to be a possibility in my opinion. Though I think it's amazing how close this generation has been in terms of console sales if you consider what it was like in the beginning. When VGC first started tracking, the Wii was crushing everything, the 360 was the hardcore console of choice and the PS3 seemed doomed, so much so that people thought Sony would have to bow out. I think the main thing out of the numbers now is that consumers seem less loyal to a single platform because each console does have something to offer.

The next gen will be interesting because people seem a lot more content to game on their phones and other portable devices, and I think that has driven the casual market away from console gaming abit (which could suggest why the Wii has had a 180 in popularity), this could mean that there may be only space for one console to be really successful.

As a result I hope VGC does find a way start tracking iOS, Andorid, and WP software sales.

NobleTeam360 said:
Well if your still going to be counting 3 or 4 years from now then 2016 at the earliest. But by then who cares? PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be dominating the console market making the PS3 passing the Wii a non significant event.

Not significant *here* though lol.  The PS2/DS thing was pretty intense haha

I don't see it happening. Even if we're modest and say sales will only drop 20-25% YoY from now on, the PS3 will still not reach Wii sales.

But even considering the fact that it's not outside the realms of possibility just goes to show how far we've come in 4-5 years. A bad start for a system does not mean long term failure, and vice-versa.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Leadified said:
Never. I expect PS3 sales in 2014 to drop quite sharply but if they don't then it will probably pass the Wii in 2016 or 2017.

Gran Turismo 6 and Gran Theft Auto 5 won't let that happen.

dsage01 said:
Leadified said:
Never. I expect PS3 sales in 2014 to drop quite sharply but if they don't then it will probably pass the Wii in 2016 or 2017.

Gran Turismo 6 and Gran Theft Auto 5 won't let that happen.

Those games will sell well but i dont think they will push alot of hardware outside of this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.