By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA tells Kotaku that it has zero titles in development for the Wii U

Tagged games:

Mr Khan said:
orniletter said:
and the usual suspects are cheering...expected !

I said before. The people backing EA in this know exactly who they are and exactly what they're doing.

An admission of honesty from them would also be refreshing. "I want to see Nintendo fail and will rationalize third parties' efforts to that end."

Simple, to the point, and we won't have these endless threads that go nowhere fighting all these people with their "rational business" claims.

Your business accumen is clearly wavering and it is wholly sad to see such a snap, baised judgement from a moderator. EA is a company, not a bitter old man with alzheimer's looking for a fight. 

When sales are like this:
http://kotaku.com/5968909/when-only-42-people-are-playing-madden-on-the-wii-u-its-not-a-sports-console

Please explain why EA would continue to develop for a console which clearly is not profitable for them. Or are you claiming a multibillion dollar company has made such a large decision based on irrational decisions, and ones which trump profit? That's not how businesses work....We're talking about EA, not ABC...

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
Mazty said:
spurgeonryan said:
While this actually makes me mad, I understand. Their games do not sell well on Nintendo systems, and only did decent on the Wii. Still, so many Sports games to be missed on the Wii U. Seems like a lot of money to be lost by EA.

But that's the thing - they've obviously crunched the numbers and come to the conclusion that there isn't a lot of money to be lost on the Wii U as of this moment in time.

You're so innocent! That's not true unfortunately (and yes, I mean "unfortunately"!). People always make business relations out to be pure rational choices and calculations while in reality they're very emotional stuff. Did you ever read the Steve Jobs biography? The fate of huge corporations depends on the emotional stability and sheer ego of top managers. Business decisions are generally made on the basis of personal affection and a good relation between companies' heads. Most managers act by their guts feeling. I know you're happy Nintendo is being left out (I guess some Nintendo fanboys tick you off and I'm not gonna call you out for that) but this is not a rational business decision. The decision was made *before* the launch of the Wii U. Sometimes between e3 2011 and 2nd half of 2012. They didn't have any hard numbers back then and - as the industry generally had no idea whatsoever why the Wii took off - expected the Wii U to sell well. This decision was made because of some kind of fallout between both companies and we need some actual gaming "journalists" with industry contacts to clarify this. It would be "Nintendogate" haha.

Working in a big company I know it is true. 

They are about as emotional as a stone - I'm guessing you've never seen contracts being penned etc? Business decisions are made on generally the idea of making money. Now if your best friend can make you money, and some random guy can make you a bit more, your best friend will get the deal as there are unwritten benefits of such a deal. There is no such thing between EA and Nintendo. What you have failed to do, just like all conspriacy theories, is give a reason for why EA would sacrifice profit. 

Frankly I don't care about Nintendo being left out. It doesn't affect me whatsoever, but I hate ignorance and delusion. Even if the decision was made before the launch of the Wii U, how do you know it wasn't on the back of analysts saying (correctly) that the Wii U isn't going to sell quickly to begin with? If so, then their rationale for not supporting the Wii U is spot on. 

A company isn't going to piss away the potential for millions because of a little spat.

The Nintendo fans on these forums are blatantly hypocritical. Both companies made promises that they failed to keep. Electronic Arts insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. Nintendo insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. How many times has Nintendo told the third party support lie now. You know it actually takes more then lip service to make that into a reality. They would actually have to design their hardware to fill the needs of developers. Do a competent job of marketing their product. Create a solid service with solid features that gamers genuinely want.

What about the Nintendo conspiracy. You know the one where they sabotage their console to drive away third party development. So they can have the console all to themselves. So they can pretend to be a console brand. When what they really are is a software studio. I mean really should we assume they are actually this fucking stupid, or that they have nefarious motives. The same mistake four times in a row is a bit hard to swallow.

The point being that Nintendo fans don't really have a problem with this behavior. After all they back Nintendo up when it is them pulling this shit. Their problem is that the lack of Electronic Arts support is going to have some dire consequences for their console god. They know losing this support is a major blow. Gaming staples aren't optional. They are damn well mandatory. Sporting games are the definition of a staple. The vast majority of games will take notice of their absence, and not purchase the console.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Mazty said:
Mr Khan said:
orniletter said:
and the usual suspects are cheering...expected !

I said before. The people backing EA in this know exactly who they are and exactly what they're doing.

An admission of honesty from them would also be refreshing. "I want to see Nintendo fail and will rationalize third parties' efforts to that end."

Simple, to the point, and we won't have these endless threads that go nowhere fighting all these people with their "rational business" claims.

Your business accumen is clearly wavering and it is wholly sad to see such a snap, baised judgement from a moderator. EA is a company, not a bitter old man with alzheimer's looking for a fight. 

When sales are like this:
http://kotaku.com/5968909/when-only-42-people-are-playing-madden-on-the-wii-u-its-not-a-sports-console

Please explain why EA would continue to develop for a console which clearly is not profitable for them. Or are you claiming a multibillion dollar company has made such a large decision based on irrational decisions, and ones which trump profit? That's not how businesses work....We're talking about EA, not ABC...

Wow, this is really bad for Nintendo - as if we didn't know already -but seriously only 42 players playing!?! I could have sworn that Rainbow six vegas 1 the other day when I played it had at least around 50players playing(360) - a game from 2006!!!

So I guess we have our answer for why EA is doing this: Bad sales, no origin support, personal disagreements and TADA its not worth it anymore

Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

They are about as emotional as a stone - I'm guessing you've never seen contracts being penned etc? Business decisions are made on generally the idea of making money. Now if your best friend can make you money, and some random guy can make you a bit more, your best friend will get the deal as there are unwritten benefits of such a deal. There is no such thing between EA and Nintendo. What you have failed to do, just like all conspriacy theories, is give a reason for why EA would sacrifice profit. 

Frankly I don't care about Nintendo being left out. It doesn't affect me whatsoever, but I hate ignorance and delusion. Even if the decision was made before the launch of the Wii U, how do you know it wasn't on the back of analysts saying (correctly) that the Wii U isn't going to sell quickly to begin with? If so, then their rationale for not supporting the Wii U is spot on. 

A company isn't going to piss away the potential for millions because of a little spat.

EA would sacrifice profit because of a meltdown between them and Nintendo. We don't know what caused this therefore actual journalism is needed. Yeah, that's me pointing out a "conspiracy". It's on the same level as UFO sightings or Iluminati taking over the world. Also, it's pretty clear this piece of news gets you pumped up. You're all over it. Why deny it? 

Isn't it pretty ironic that someone who denies businesses are being driven by emotion also denies that they themselves are being driven by emotions even though they clearly are? 

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

EA would sacrifice profit because of a meltdown between them and Nintendo. We don't know what caused this therefore actual journalism is needed. Yeah, that's me pointing out a "conspiracy". It's on the same level as UFO sightings or Iluminati taking over the world. Also, it's pretty clear this piece of news gets you pumped up. You're all over it. Why deny it? 

Isn't it pretty ironic that someone who denies businesses are being driven by emotion also denies that they themselves are being driven by emotions even though they clearly are? 

According to whom?! That flies in the face of all business ideas and notions. That makes as much sense as saying 1 in 10 doctors will purposely give you the wrong drugs because they don't like your face...

Here's all the research you need:
http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

Bam. Wii U = not profitable for EA. You clearly have done no research and have no idea how companies are ran. Look above. All the evidence a company needs to know investing in the Wii U may not be for them.

Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

According to whom?! That flies in the face of all business ideas and notions. That makes as much sense as saying 1 in 10 doctors will purposely give you the wrong drugs because they don't like your face...

Bam. Wii U = not profitable for EA. You clearly have done no research and have no idea how companies are ran. Look above. All the evidence a company needs to know investing in the Wii U may not be for them.

According to world history and human behaviour over tens of thousands of years? The history of journalism? Politics? Buckloads of irrational business decisions made over the past few hundreds of years? 

Are you an allegory on sarcasm? Seriously now, are you pulling my leg? First you say a doctor ain't gonna give me a wrong diagnosis because he doesn't like my face and then you give me a wrong diagnosis without having seen my face in the first place? You also cited that "business are rational" thing again and then gave me an irrational and emotional response filled with personal insults while claiming to be rational.

This is really cracking me up. (No, I'm not trying to be witty right now, if this is intentional it is genuinely funny and well played). 

UncleScrooge said:
Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

According to world history and human behaviour over tens of thousands of years? The history of journalism? Politics? Buckloads of irrational business decisions made over the past few hundreds of years? 

Are you an allegory on sarcasm? Seriously now, are you pulling my leg? First you say a doctor ain't gonna give me a wrong diagnosis because he doesn't like my face and then you give me a wrong diagnosis without having seen my face in the first place? You also cited that "business are rational" thing again and then gave me an irrational and emotional response filled with personal insults while claiming to be rational.

This is really cracking me up. (No, I'm not trying to be witty right now, if this is intentional it is genuinely funny and well played). 

So basically you have no proof that EA would irrationally throw away profit to spite Nintendo. 

Learn what the hypocratic oath is...

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you the truth. It's clear that you don't understand how big businesses run or think and are making wholly unfounded statements. Also, learn what Occam's Razor is. It's obvious that EA aren't making games for the Wii U because it's not profitable - look at Madden. 

Dodece said:

The Nintendo fans on these forums are blatantly hypocritical. Both companies made promises that they failed to keep. Electronic Arts insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. Nintendo insinuated a support that it didn't deliver. How many times has Nintendo told the third party support lie now. You know it actually takes more then lip service to make that into a reality. They would actually have to design their hardware to fill the needs of developers. Do a competent job of marketing their product. Create a solid service with solid features that gamers genuinely want.

What about the Nintendo conspiracy. You know the one where they sabotage their console to drive away third party development. So they can have the console all to themselves. So they can pretend to be a console brand. When what they really are is a software studio. I mean really should we assume they are actually this fucking stupid, or that they have nefarious motives. The same mistake four times in a row is a bit hard to swallow.

The point being that Nintendo fans don't really have a problem with this behavior. After all they back Nintendo up when it is them pulling this shit. Their problem is that the lack of Electronic Arts support is going to have some dire consequences for their console god. They know losing this support is a major blow. Gaming staples aren't optional. They are damn well mandatory. Sporting games are the definition of a staple. The vast majority of games will take notice of their absence, and not purchase the console.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Is this really worse than claiming that anyone on EA's side hates Nintendo and wants them to fail?

I don't understand the ban really.

Mazty said:
UncleScrooge said:

So basically you have no proof that EA would irrationally throw away profit to spite Nintendo. 

*Learn what the hypocratic oath is...*

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you the truth. It's clear that you don't understand how big businesses run or think and are making wholly unfounded statements. Also, learn what Occam's Razor is. It's obvious that EA aren't making games for the Wii U because it's not profitable - look at Madden. 

Again, I'm saying we need journalism to find out what really happened between the two. In fact I went on record on this forum saying Nintendo probably screwed this up and not EA. This is not about sales. You don't go from "unprecedented partnership" to "The Wii U is last gen" over the course of some months. Well, if it 'is' about sales EA's analysis truly sucked the first time. Talk about the most simple explanation. 

At the bolded stuff: Isn't this getting a tiny bit overboard now? You've never met me before. 

Edit: At the second bolded part... did you just...? Seriously are you pulling my leg?