By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 surpassing Xbox 360 countdown: Let the end finally begin.

Slimebeast said:

A phalic victory.

To achieve this victory Sony were forced to drop the console price much faster than MS did, they had to pump out first party exclusives and they had to keep their online service free of charge, even launching a service that showers its customers with free games, while MS confidently kept hoarding money with Xbox Live.

ftfy

after all console sales is a big dick contest.



Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

A Pyrrhic victory.

To achieve this victory Sony were forced to drop the console price much faster than MS did, they had to pump out first party exclusives and they had to keep their online service free of charge, even launching a service that showers its customers with free games, while MS confidently kept hoarding money with Xbox Live.


Not really as this is the war not a battle.  In the end the PS3 is making money, granted not as much as the XBOX but still.  And shouldn't Sony bending over backwards to please its customers be a good thing and the inverse bad to us the consumers?



slowmo said:

No they didn't really pull out all the stops.  Microsoft seemed to settle for profit in 2010 and didn't agressively market on price as they could have at the time.

This argument has always puzzled me over the years. I walk into a Mediamarkt/Saturn/WhateverMarkt and see:

Current average price of a XBox360 bundle: $199-$219

Current average price of a PS3 bundle: $319-$349

This price diffference has existed for years in Europe. It is even more pronounced towards XMas season, with Kinect bundles, Kinect being free basically. (Does noone remember how MS conquered the UK market, by slashing the prices below manufacturing costs for quite a while?). So MS certainly has NOT settled for profit in Europe compared to Sony (they need all the Live revenue for that).



drkohler said:
slowmo said:

No they didn't really pull out all the stops.  Microsoft seemed to settle for profit in 2010 and didn't agressively market on price as they could have at the time.

This argument has always puzzled me over the years. I walk into a Mediamarkt/Saturn/WhateverMarkt and see:

Current average price of a XBox360 bundle: $199-$219

Current average price of a PS3 bundle: $319-$349

This price diffference has existed for years in Europe. It is even more pronounced towards XMas season, with Kinect bundles, Kinect being free basically. (Does noone remember how MS conquered the UK market, by slashing the prices below manufacturing costs for quite a while?). So MS certainly has NOT settled for profit in Europe compared to Sony (they need all the Live revenue for that).

This all based on your view of discount-prices? I saw MediaMarkt-/Saturn-ads often and yes, 360 was quite often in it but can't remember that the prices differed so much. Perhaps an austrian-only phenomenon? And really, extrapolating profits on subjective observation of prices is... courageous.



maximus22 said:
Slimebeast said:

A Pyrrhic victory.

To achieve this victory Sony were forced to drop the console price much faster than MS did, they had to pump out first party exclusives and they had to keep their online service free of charge, even launching a service that showers its customers with free games, while MS confidently kept hoarding money with Xbox Live.


Not really as this is the war not a battle.  In the end the PS3 is making money, granted not as much as the XBOX but still.  And shouldn't Sony bending over backwards to please its customers be a good thing and the inverse bad to us the consumers?

It is good to see there are still numerous passionate followers fighting it out the dying days of the console sales war. All sacrifices that have been made in the battlefields have been well worth it. 



Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Michael-5 said:

This means PS3 and 360 both just beat PSP, which has 76.27 million sales.


http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41399/Global/

PSP actually got adjusted up to 79 Million

I hope it can outsell GBA eventually...



slowmo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft didnt agressively market because they barely had anything to market outside of the Kinect from 2011 outside of two games since the Kinect launched in Gears and Halo on replay. Sony beat them basically the whole year until fourth quarter when people knew they could get their hands on a discounted Xbox system. Microsoft will cut the price of the 360 at E3 or their reveal. They haven't cut the price competitively in a while. If they do its for brief periods of time to screw with the consumer base and get quick sales before bringing it back to normal. I have a feeling looking at the sales now that they'll try again but they will drop the price for good. This is the final measure to which Microsoft has pull out all the stops against Sony. In the end all Sony had to do was price their console competitively and outpace them in making games as they always do. It was a matter of time, but when you have a casual device that sells twenty million....well it kind of slows things down for the competition...wouldn't you agree? It was tortoise vs hare fight and sometimes the race isn't always for the swift.


My point was simply that they really hadn't thrown everything at market share like Sony did in 2008/2009.  They didn't money hat any franchises, they didn't agressively push any risky new IP's, they didn't push the price down in Europe anywhere near enough despite figures clearly showing the demand has been waning for years.  Sony needed to come back where as Microsoft were content to cash in on their device and use this gen as a building block.  Nobody is going into next gen now thinking Microsoft will sell a console to you then abandon it in 4 years like last gen, they have given the brand a huge lift. 

The launch aligned sales prove it was a tortoise vs hare situation but at the end of the day Microsoft have made more money from their device, while Sony have kept their brand image that at one stage may have been at risk (which is potentially worth billions obviously for this gen).

 

P.S.  Just to educate those saying Microsoft is in third place again, it did actually finish in second last gen, not that it mattered given how far adrift they were.


Of course Microsoft moneyhatted franchises and they still are. They agressively pulled out their checkbook last gen to measure up and they'll continue to do it until their first party measures up. Their development was not on par with Sony and we'll see how the new teams do under pressure. At Sony you had one team split into twos pumping out two to three titles so Microsoft will have to do a lot to measure up. Microsoft had no idea of what they were getting into with motion gaming until Sony dropped primesense. Sony wanted to make their peripheral device by themselves.

Microsoft made more money, of course no one is doubting that. Sony was bleeding through the ears for how much they packed into the PS3 and made the developers lives hell, but everyone stuck with it and everything turned out fine. They are profiting and in the end thats all thats matters. They've been profiting on the PS3 for 3 years now. 

Microsoft has learned a lot from this gen to make them a formidable threat to Sony next gen. Lets hope they capitalize on it and dont throw it all a way.



If Vgchartz is right, then ...by Christmas?



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Sal.Paradise said:

^You guys are kidding right, it's the same girl in both your avatars!!

Glad someone pointed this out quickly.



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

drkohler said:
slowmo said:

No they didn't really pull out all the stops.  Microsoft seemed to settle for profit in 2010 and didn't agressively market on price as they could have at the time.

This argument has always puzzled me over the years. I walk into a Mediamarkt/Saturn/WhateverMarkt and see:

Current average price of a XBox360 bundle: $199-$219

Current average price of a PS3 bundle: $319-$349

This price diffference has existed for years in Europe. It is even more pronounced towards XMas season, with Kinect bundles, Kinect being free basically. (Does noone remember how MS conquered the UK market, by slashing the prices below manufacturing costs for quite a while?). So MS certainly has NOT settled for profit in Europe compared to Sony (they need all the Live revenue for that).

It really hasn't though, the price in the UK for a 360 has gone up since 2008, it was as low as £129 for a arcade model back then where as it's still even now £139 for a 4GB slim.  The entry price has actually increased in that time.  I think the actual console price for the premium model as dropped to £190 (around £30) which is still very high considering the PS3 is £150 and £200 for their value and regular models.  They have not marketed Europe as agressively as they did the US and it's why sales have dropped off badly over the last few years.