By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your thoughts on Nintendo?

they are the only ones out of the big 3 who made their fortune from gaming.
High Quality games for all walks of people.
they are not perfect but they are my favorite company.
they are very fair, No constand DLC's no always online no try to milk the consumer through little tactics.

nintendo overall is a great creative company who thrives on putting in top quality in their software to give the user a awesome experince and fun time. they dont follow trends and phads and do their own thing which can be good and bad.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Around the Network
Purple said:
I love Nintendo, but I do wonder if they've missed their opportunity in keeping the momentum rolling after the Wii. They should have invested in a number of studios and really flooded their new systems with first party software (which hopefully would have maintained the usual impeccable Nintendo quality). Instead they went conservative and hoped third parties would come back to them; they haven't and now things are looking very ugly.

The Wii gen never ended with momentum. It gained sales off of the casual market which went stagnant after the short supply fell through.

Bruxel said:
they are very fair, No constand DLC's no always online no try to milk the consumer through little tactics.

nintendo overall is a great creative company who thrives on putting in top quality in their software to give the user a awesome experince and fun time. they dont follow trends and phads and do their own thing which can be good and bad.

We might be seeing some more of that soon. Especially in the niche games.

I mean $3 per map in Fire Emblem. That's a lotttt.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

The greatest game maker in history, with a hugly disproportionate share of the best games ever made, and one of the few companies that understands that fun should always come first.

However, their performance over the last two years has been absolutely dismal; they left the Wii to die after a magnificent 2010, fucked up the Wii U's reveal, launch, and first 6 months to a staggering degree, and instead of addressing the slump by showing us new games and footage, they're sitting back and letting their new console starve. It's 2006-2007-PS3-level bad management. Hard to believe this is the same company that propelled the Wii to such heights from 2006-2010.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Purple said:
I love Nintendo, but I do wonder if they've missed their opportunity in keeping the momentum rolling after the Wii. They should have invested in a number of studios and really flooded their new systems with first party software (which hopefully would have maintained the usual impeccable Nintendo quality). Instead they went conservative and hoped third parties would come back to them; they haven't and now things are looking very ugly.

The Wii gen never ended with momentum. It gained sales off of the casual market which went stagnant after the short supply fell through.

I'm not going to get involved in a "wii only sold to casuals" argument (it didn't), but I was referring to the financial momentum. I would have liked to see them investing that income in new studios to improve their output, rather than just taking the conservative option of putting it in a bank account for a rainy day.

Around the Network
Purple said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Purple said:

I'm not going to get involved in a "wii only sold to casuals" argument (it didn't), but I was referring to the financial momentum. I would have liked to see them investing that income in new studios to improve their output, rather than just taking the conservative option of putting it in a bank account for a rainy day.

I know. The Wii broke the market by intoducing people who dont game into gaming (thats a lot of people and easily explains going from 20M+ in sales to 99M). The financial momentum died because of two things:

1: Limited supply that kept demand high for a couple years.

2: The Kinects entrance caused the casuals to turn their heads in the of the direction of the 360 when the PS3 was outselling it by 4th quarter 2010. It sold 360's like hotcakes and the Wii's fire went stagnant in 2011 because of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Kinect has outsold the original Xbox by now.

Otakumegane said:
Bruxel said:

We might be seeing some more of that soon. Especially in the niche games.

I mean $3 per map in Fire Emblem. That's a lotttt.

in comparison of how other companys operate, much less DLC.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I know. The Wii broke the market by intoducing people who dont game into gaming (thats a lot of people and easily explains going from 20M+ in sales to 99M). The financial momentum died because of two things:

2: The Kinects entrance caused the casuals to turn their heads in the of the direction of the 360 when the PS3 was outselling it by 4th quarter 2010. It sold 360's like hotcakes and the Wii's fire went stagnant in 2011 because of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Kinect has outsold the original Xbox by now.

The Wii went stagnant in 2011 for one reason, and it wasn't Kinect or supply; games simply stopped coming. It was doing just fine right up until then. 

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii went stagnant in 2011 for one reason, and it wasn't Kinect or supply; games simply stopped coming. It was doing just fine right up until then. 

What the? Skyward Sword, Last story (in japan, 2012 WW), Xenoblade chronicles, Just Dance? 

It was Kinect. 

Yes, they should've followed up with a Wii Sports resort 2 and bundled it with a couple more Wiis but they didnt. As soon as the the Kinect rose in sales the popularity of the Wii in America shrunk down terribly. It gave Microsoft the best two years casual sales. Microsoft knew what it was like to have a taste of Nintendos new audience they found.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What the? Skyward Sword, Last story (in japan, 2012 WW), Xenoblade chronicles, Just Dance? 

It was Kinect. 

Yes, they should've followed up with a Wii Sports resort 2 and bundled it with a couple more Wiis but they didnt. As soon as the the Kinect rose in sales the popularity of the Wii in America shrunk down terribly. It gave Microsoft the best two years casual sales. Microsoft knew what it was like to have a taste of Nintendos new audience they found.

In 2010 the Wii had tons of popular hits like Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Goldeneye 007, Sonic Colors, Epic Mickey, Wii Party, and Just Dance 2, and a slew of excellent cult games like Monster Hunter Tri, Sin & Punishment, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, and Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

In 2011, it was barren. There was Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and Just Dance 3 at year's end, but those were about the only big hitters, with the rest of the year bare. If The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower had all been localised a year earlier than they were, (and if Project Zero 2 had come to the US along with Japan and PAL) it wouldn't have been so bad, but as it was support went from plentiful to dry almost overnight.