By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CONFIRMED: Gran Turismo 6 announced for PS3, releasing Holiday 2013

Osc89 said:
JayWood2010 said:
I said this before and I'll say it again. It was smart to release it for PS3. New Ip's are better for the beginning of the gen. PS3 has a bigger install base so it makes sense.

It is only smart if all Sony wants is for GT6 to sell as many copies as possible. But this damages DriveClub sales, and in turn PS4 sales. This should have been out late last year, or it should have been a Vita game.

Disagree.  PS4 does not have backwards compatability so people who buy PS4 will be buying Driveclub over GT6 if they want Driveclub.

The big thing that people need to realize is that PS4/NeXbox will be selling around 1-3 million units this holiday.  The first holiday for a console is always the weakest.  my opinion is that the 3rd year is the best year to release big franchises as that is usually when a console starts to gain a big amount of traction.

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
JayWood2010 said:
I said this before and I'll say it again. It was smart to release it for PS3. New Ip's are better for the beginning of the gen. PS3 has a bigger install base so it makes sense.

It is only smart if all Sony wants is for GT6 to sell as many copies as possible. But this damages DriveClub sales, and in turn PS4 sales. This should have been out late last year, or it should have been a Vita game.

i don't think GT6 in PS3 can damage PS4 sales... early adopters will get next gen no matter what and will still keep current gen machines active for some time. PS4 doesn't need to be monstrous this year... the gen its just starting... this is no yearly phone business model...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

I have never played a Gt game and never will(sim racing games are boring) but those pics are amazing

JayWood2010 said:
Osc89 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Disagree.  PS4 does not have backwards compatability so people who buy PS4 will be buying Driveclub over GT6 if they want Driveclub.

The big thing that people need to realize is that PS4/NeXbox will be selling around 1-3 million units this holiday.  The first holiday for a console is always the weakest.  my opinion is that the 3rd year is the best year to release big franchises as that is usually when a console starts to gain a big amount of traction.

I'm not saying release for the PS4 at all, but releasing an entry in their biggest franchise on the PS3 at the same time the PS4 is launched is bad timing. Every racing game enthusiast now has to choose between sticking with the PS3 for a while longer to play the next entry in the definitive franchise, or buy a whole new system to play an unproven IP. No one will choose DriveClub, killing a first party launch title and something that should have been drawing people to the system. It is just cannibalization, people thought the existence of DriveClub was strange enough but actually having it compete with GT is mad. It also means people will compare the two, and chances are GT will look worse. That isn't great for a franchise that has such a reputation for impressive graphics.

Like you said, I don't think it should have been for the PS4 either because of the small install base, but for the Vita? That wouldn't have clashed with anything.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

I can't believe some people seriously thought this was coming to PS4, you could have seen this coming years ago. They alway's launch a second GT game late in the generation. You're nothing going to launch a title this big and expensive on a system with zero install base.

Also supporting you're system longer with quality titles can actually boost sales of the new system, because people will realise that the new system will probably last them just as long.

Around the Network

Some people here seems to think that Sony would be dumb enough to announce current gen and next gen version of a game at the same time.... This would immensely hurt current gen sales especially for a game that is ALL physics and ALL graphics.... I have no doubt that an upgraded version of this game is coming (all the DLC and new tracks included with a facelift) to the PS4 but only after current gen game had its initial sales kick.

Same thing with GTA5

Soriku said:

In the long run it would be beneficial to have GT6 on the PS4 because it's such a big IP. By putting GT6 on the PS3 they're telling a lot of people not to sell your PS3 yet.

It's "safer" to put GT6 on the PS3 but that's a short term way to get money. GT6 would still sell well on the PS4, and help prop the PS4 up earlier.

fixed. Playstation 4 will be fine without GT6 as launch title. GT6 PS4 version will be nothing more than DriveClub. Also, GT6 PS4 version will destroy DriveClub at very very start. Sony will make a o lot of money thanks to GT6 PS3 - GT6 PS4 will be the financial disaster and will sell 1mln fisr year max. 

Fck 8 GB RAM, fck new architercture, new power and features, fck Full HD, fck DriveClub, fck all - I will not buy a PS4 cos no GT6 for PS4.

THIS WAY OF THINKING is madness.

sergiodaly said:
Osc89 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i don't think GT6 in PS3 can damage PS4 sales... early adopters will get next gen no matter what and will still keep current gen machines active for some time. PS4 doesn't need to be monstrous this year... the gen its just starting... this is no yearly phone business model...

Actually I think the total opposite in both things, it will damage PS4 sales to some extent, hard to say how much, but certainly racing enthusiasts have very little reason right now  to make the generational jump. 

And yes PS4 needs to be monstrous this year, maybe more then ever. They will most probably have a launch alligned with their biggest competitor, arguably strongest threat for Sony in the console race so far, with huge presence in USA/NA - still the most valuable market for video games by quite a margin. They really need to up the ante for this year without any more mistakes, because this year may be crucial in the long run. 

It may be the defining factor for core gamer market, 3rd party support and a lot of people afterwards chooses the console that their friends already have and this time around with a stronger push towards social aspects, if the next xbox outsells PS4 by a good amount this holiday season and during the first half of a year 2014 it may prove to be to hard and costly to make a comeback a'la PS3.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Shame, GT6 would have made a great PS4 game. I hope it don't take 3 or 4 years for polyphony to make one for PS4

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

AnthonyW86 said:
I can't believe some people seriously thought this was coming to PS4, you could have seen this coming years ago. They alway's launch a second GT game late in the generation. You're nothing going to launch a title this big and expensive on a system with zero install base.

Also supporting you're system longer with quality titles can actually boost sales of the new system, because people will realise that the new system will probably last them just as long.

@bold. Yeah maybe, but there again, the first Xbox was supported for 4 years and then tottaly cut of, and it didn't discourage 75 million people from buying the X360, unfortunately I think customers have very short memory when it comes to these things, the bunch of core gamers may see the benefit of it but I doubt many other will.

As to the first paragraph, well you can't just compare it like that.

First of all Gran Turismo 2 released 4 months before the Japan launch of the PS2 almost a year before NA/EU

Gran Turismo 4 released more than a year and a half before the PS3 launch in any region

Second of all both GT1 and GT3 released earlier in the respective consoles lifecycles then the GT5 did on the PS3 and the second installment brought pretty big changes.

And the last thing. Before the PS3 the only way to include new cars, tracks, options was by releasing a new game. Now we have patches and DLCs that Polyphony was effectively using to introduce new things so GT5 could evolve and get way way better game then it was at launch.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!