By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: PS4 KILLZONE uses 3GB RAM! (CONFIRMED)

Okay, but is that RAM towards anything innovative (never played Killzone)... or is it just going towards super big but ultimately super pointless 20 million polygon set pieces, million polygon characters (apparently Naughty Dog is looking into doing this), and super realistic looking guns with state of the art rendering? Cuz' I'll take a 4KB RAM game (or whatever the SNES was) like Super Mario RPG over a 3GB RAM game that is just another by the numbers military shooter any day.

Edit:  Just read the OP again... yup, 3 GB in graphics.  So now our military shooters will look super realistic.

They can't be stopped...

Around the Network

guns dont need that many polygon. nextgen wont be next gen until they get hair looking and moving more natural

Is this something to be excited about? I can't tell by the reactions in this thread.

People are trying to downplay the potential positives of having more RAM in a console?

Seriously?

That's like saying you don't want more money because you'd just waste it by buying stuff with it.

Shinobi-san said:
kitler53 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Does this mean 1GB for the OS?

it sort of implies it at least.

Yeah but then again they could have added the additional RAM to make more avaialble to the OS, which i think is the case.

What will make the most sense to me is an OS with 1-2 GB allocated RAM. With games receiving 6GB. This will allow for future updates to be done easier.

i just hope they don't short change the OS.  far easier to give resources to games than to take them away.  as far as rumor suggests ps3 never got cross game chat due to a lack of resources and who knows what features they'll want to add some time down the line.  best plan to have some wiggle room so it can be added.

Around the Network

That doesn't really mean anything, you can have a uncompressed mess and have it run on 16 GB of Ram, doesn't mean its a good thing, means its a mess, it matters on what you do with it.

So... The tweet says 3 GB for graphics, which begs the question: How much RAM do other things in a game take?

On Killzone 4 will 7GB for graphics :D

Read this for more detailed explanations : http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/guerrillagames/killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem/2

Have fun with slide 84...

Sweep said:
Read this for more detailed explanations : http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/guerrillagames/killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem/2

Have fun with slide 84...

I just read four slide and it is so interesting... thanks.