By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: WiiU April sales hit 55,000

pezus said:
zorg1000 said:
pezus said:
Vita did 68k last year in its first April and that was already bad. WiiU at 55k would be even worse

It would be more accurate to compare january to Vitas first April since that would be both of there 3rd month in the US

Not exactly more accurate. Depends on how you want to look at it. April to April are comparable months, but Jan to April aren't. I can't remember exactly what WiiU did in January though, wasn't it something around 60k?

Im not sure what Iit sold in january either, to  me tho it makes more sense to compare them based on how long theyve been out, so this month for Wii U being the equivalent of Vitas july

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Demensha said:
Dodece said:
I suspect that our friend, and this site are probably overestimating the Wii U sales. I simply don't understand what in fact justifies the purchase, and it isn't simply the case of me being more knowledgeable then the average consumer. The console isn't just flying under the radar. Anytime the blip does show up on the radar it is usually the media just tearing the console to ribbons as a complete and utter failure. So almost all the exposure is brutally negative. That should actually scare most consumers away. Especially given the consoles price tag. How much of a impulse buy can it really be?

As for his opinion about Nintendo holding out for major first party releases to move the console. I hope for the sake of the Nintendo fans. That he is dead wrong, and that Nintendo will try to jump start some kind of offensive within the next month. The console wont survive nine months of solid negative publicity, and absolutely no real support from its manufacturer.

I know a lot of people like to cite the PS3 as an example of a possible turnaround, but the two aren't similar in the least. The biggest difference is that Sony fought tooth and nail for their console. They constantly came up with new ways to promote and sell their console. Sometimes it feels like Nintendo wants their console to fail so they can move onto something else. Perhaps making a more mainstream console, or getting an excuse to move right into third party development.

Why ? Do you not realize the 3ds is a Nintendo device? Why would they become 3rd party? Please I want to read your theory on this. 

Nintendo has two software lines. Games for their portable gaming devices, and games for their home consoles. Without a console of their own to support. The company will have to find a new home for its console software. While I know it might be tempting to think all of that software can find a home on the 3DS. That would actually be highly counter productive. Not only would Nintendo undercut its own software sales. Two games instead of one afterall doesn't necessarily translate into twice as many sales. It would also leave them terribly exposed if that market might fall through.

Dedicated portable gaming devices are coming under increasing pressure from other portable devices for the consumers dollar. Devices like smart phones, and tablets are just starting to show their gaming prowess, and they already start off with a number of advantages that their dedicated brethren cannot match. As a matter of deductive reasoning in the end the device that can do far more then the other will win out.

Needless to say if Nintendo can't run a home console of their own. It will still be important for them to keep one of their legs in that world. If for no other reason then it will act as a good promotional tool for their portable gaming devices. After all if you can't hook someone on Mario through your own console. Then doing so through someone elses console is the next best thing. Anyway does that answer your question.

zorg1000 said:
pezus said:
zorg1000 said:
pezus said:
Vita did 68k last year in its first April and that was already bad. WiiU at 55k would be even worse

It would be more accurate to compare january to Vitas first April since that would be both of there 3rd month in the US

Not exactly more accurate. Depends on how you want to look at it. April to April are comparable months, but Jan to April aren't. I can't remember exactly what WiiU did in January though, wasn't it something around 60k?

Im not sure what Iit sold in january either, to  me tho it makes more sense to compare them based on how long theyve been out, so this month for Wii U being the equivalent of Vitas july

The Vita was definitely still on a post-launch "high" (relatively speaking) in April 2012. It continued to decline until, I think, around June.

No matter how you look at it, both consoles had terrible post-launch sales. The difference is that the Wii U had a very good first 6 weeks.

pezus said:
RolStoppable said:
Down 19 percent basically means the Wii U has bottomed out, because the April period had a week less.

As for what is doing worse in the same timeframe, it's obviously the Vita. That's not going to change in the USA.

Not really. The same timeframe here refers to this singular month. If I recall correctly, then WiiU's Jan sales were about even with Vita's April 2012 sales and now WiiU is looking at lower sales than Vita did exactly one year ago. It's hard to spin this into being worse for Vita, because it's either equally bad or worse for WiiU. And when I look at last year's July NPD thread it seems like the consensus was <60k for Vita, possibly around 55k...which is exactly what Pachter is predicting here. 

So equally bad. Because you compared both consoles in their third month, then said, "let's hold the Vita here in its third month, and fast-forward to month 6 for Wii U." The comparison makes little sense. If both consoles were far enough along by that point, the number of months wouldn't make much difference, but the fact is that the Vita was still falling from its launch boost. Check our numbers, every week was lower than the previous until mid-May 2012.

pezus said:
RolStoppable said:
Down 19 percent basically means the Wii U has bottomed out, because the April period had a week less.

As for what is doing worse in the same timeframe, it's obviously the Vita. That's not going to change in the USA.

Not really. The same timeframe here refers to this singular month. If I recall correctly, then WiiU's Jan sales were about even with Vita's April 2012 sales and now WiiU is looking at lower sales than Vita did exactly one year ago. It's hard to spin this into being worse for Vita, because it's either equally bad or worse for WiiU. And when I look at last year's July NPD thread it seems like the consensus was <60k for Vita, possibly around 55k...which is exactly what Pachter is predicting here. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Vita 4.5 millions sold in 1.5 years

Wii U 3 millions sold in 0.5 year

Vita is in much worse position. No game is coming to save the Vita.

I'd imagine Nintendo's more worried about the fact that comparisons with the Vita are even semi-viable...

E3/Nintendo Direct's can't come soon enough. Need solid announcements and plans for the system. 

*Fingers Crossed* New Wii U owner. 

Well, could be worse (like VGC numbers are suggesting...) and it also makes it seem as though the Wii U can't do any worse from here. So that's good, right?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
I'd imagine Nintendo's more worried about the fact that comparisons with the Vita are even semi-viable...

Both systems don't sell, because they are misunderstood. People still believe that the Vita is a Circle Pad Pro-like attachment for the PSP.

And the Wii U?