By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U CPU + GPU clock speeds increased? Is it even possible?

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but it's possible that the wiiU was just so badly programmed, that energy that should have been going to the cpu was hitting some kind of snag, or wasn't coded properly. It could have been done purposely to limit power consumption while allowing devs to sort of program in a power saving option as well.
I don't know if it is capable of actually reaching 3ghz but it seems to me that there was not a lot of power running to the system. Anyone out there played since 3.0 and seen a difference in performance?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Zero999 said:

if it can or not i don't know, it's a custom cpu anyway. i was replying a statement that said it would overheat the system, wich can't be proven unless you know the system limit.

What I understand overheat have nothing to do with system limit... it is just about the thermal/colling system... how much the system can dissipate to not reach high temperatures.

The 75W max power draw is about how much Wii U power supply can handle... Wii U can use a 150W pwoer supplu or more without have overheating.

At the same time I can have a system with 10W power supply and have overheating... that was all because the cooling system.

when i said system limit i was talking about the dam cooling system, my bad. the user i quoted said the clock speed increase would overheat the console and i said that can't be said without knowing the cooling system.

KHlover said:
cannonballZ said:
Quick question for anyone that can answer it..

Has Nintendo ever confirmed the CPU clock speeds for the Wii U?

I can only find links to @marcan42 confirming the clock speeds.

Nope

So, then roughly 500 gflops confirmed?

As far as I know, the highest the Wii U CPU could be clocked is 1.6 Ghz based on the architecture, so reading the OP, it was obvious bunk. I see that it's been confirmed but such a ridiculous increase in clock speed should have been a dead give away.

i honestly feel even still the Wii U doesnt touch the Xbox 360 & PS3

Around the Network
fillet said:
Nem said:
fillet said:
Nem said:
fillet said:
KHlover said:
Why shouldn't it be? The PSP also did this.

PSP was underclocked by default for power reasons.

That is to say it was running under specification so clock speeds weren't "increased" they were just set as high as they should have been in the first place.

Don't know if that's the case with the Wii-U, incredibly unlikely, or unbelieveable (genuinely, not in the "amazing unbelivable" way.)

Going from circa 1.5Ghz to 3.xx Ghz is just asking a bit much to take seriously that Nintendo would have released the console at only 1.5Ghz considering the moaning the low CPU speed has caused and being responsible for the frame rate issues in the current ports.

There's no reason for the Wii-U to have been underclocked like there was with the PSP, power isn't an issue obviously as it doesn't run on batteries.

Yes there was. Because of the nuclear disaster in Japan, there are very pressing concerns about energy consumption in Japan.

I am sure nintendo was aware of this and tried to avoid any bad situations with the media.

Though i have to admit, this is a master move by Nintendo if its true. They should have revealed it sooner though.

That's up there in the old UFO conspiracy theories for believeability.

...edit...unless you're joking, hope so!!!!!???

I think you're not showing tact here. It has been said that it was, unfortunely i dont recall where i read it.

It is a very serious business i dont understand why you're treating it like its nothing. It is a big deal in Japan because they want to shut down the nuclear plants. There has been a huge debate about it in the country. Its only obvious a japanese company would take that into its marketing analysis.

What would you think would happen if there was a nuclear meltdown near your town. How would people be feeling about the need of nuclear power and how to diminish that need. Nintendo is branded as a family friendly company. They cant be involved in such scandals, it would severely damage their image and business.

And am i saying thats why they hid the true speed of the clock? No. But it was a very serious concern when designing the system for the Japanese market.

You misinterpret my words, I'm not saying that companies might be taking a general stance on that. But I don't believe for a second there's any direct evidence to support such a direction on noticeable measurable level.

You give too much credit to the world of business and giving a crap about being green unless it makes that business look good. If this came out as being true well it just contradicts the point you make because a company releasing a "green" product only to "unlease the beast within" as something that actually draws at least 25% more power (which this would have to do as power draw isn't linear as CPU speed increases)...is hardly going to look good to the public.

I'm not anti-green, or all that rubbish, it just sounds like a theory with no evidence.

If you could post a link to explain your statement though I'd be grateful as it would be an interesting read and I have no problem changing my apparently narrow minded view, which I know I can be a bit like that sometimes.

(seriously, that's not a piss take) :)

It was something i read around the time the specs were beeing investigated, but i apologise, i really dont recall where i read it.

There is no contradction by the way. What i read is that the energy consumption mattered and thats why Nintendo chose not to have a really fast processor.

Why it doesnt contradict its simple. They havent taken that stance in front of the public and the speed of the processor became an issue to some developers. Given the slow sales, its the time for action. The consumption worries usually are blow over proportion by the media. When launching a big product and beeing on everyones top-of-mind you become an easy target. At the moment it would be harder to make that case against the Wii U.

It was dumb of people to focus so much on the clock speed. On the other hand, this could have been a ploy for its competitors to think the system was weaker than it actually was. We can only speculate, i doubt Nintendo will ever tell us the real story here.

theprof00 said:
Honestly, and I hate to say this, but it's possible that the wiiU was just so badly programmed, that energy that should have been going to the cpu was hitting some kind of snag, or wasn't coded properly. It could have been done purposely to limit power consumption while allowing devs to sort of program in a power saving option as well.
I don't know if it is capable of actually reaching 3ghz but it seems to me that there was not a lot of power running to the system. Anyone out there played since 3.0 and seen a difference in performance?

Some people in this thread claimed games like Arkham City or Assassins Creed III (especially Arkham City) would run a lot better since the update. Of course I can't verify these claims, but what reason would they have to lie?

KHlover said:
theprof00 said:

Some people in this thread claimed games like Arkham City or Assassins Creed III (especially Arkham City) would run a lot better since the update. Of course I can't verify these claims, but what reason would they have to lie?

Other than the OS booting games much faster, I did notice that whenever need for speed freezes the console doesn't. I can press close software on the gamepad and reboot it.

Gio1764 said:

Perhaps if you move your Wii U to the middle and push them together a little bit, your Wii U could touch both the 360 and the PS3? Or is there not enough room on the shelf for all three consoles?

Though, now that the Wii U is tripple overclocked, you might not want it to touch anything as it will run pretty hot. Just something to keep in mind.

Bong Lover said:
Gio1764 said:

Perhaps if you move your Wii U to the middle and push them together a little bit, your Wii U could touch both the 360 and the PS3? Or is there not enough room on the shelf for all three consoles?

Though, now that the Wii U is tripple overclocked, you might not want it to touch anything as it will run pretty hot. Just something to keep in mind.

It's prolly just an alt account made by Ninjablade or something :P