By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U CPU + GPU clock speeds increased? Is it even possible?

I know this is a fake rumour and all, but really, Nintendo should totally do this to the Wii U. Maybe not that much of an overclock, but some hundreds of Mhz here and there would help a lot.

Around the Network

So, the same guy that said the CPU is 1.24 also said "roughly 500 gflops".... Is his assessment of the GPU credible?

If not, then what makes his CPU clock speed credible?

To be clear, I agree with his assessment. So, "roughly" 500 gflops confirmed?

cannonballZ said:
So, the same guy that said the CPU is 1.24 also said "roughly 500 gflops".... Is his assessment of the GPU credible?

If not, then what makes his CPU clock speed credible?

To be clear, I agree with his assessment. So, "roughly" 500 gflops confirmed?

Not officialy confirmed but the guy is credible.

What IF Nintendo underclocked the CPU and GPU from the very beginning? I mean I can easily underclock a lets say 3 GHZ quadcore CPU to 1.5 and it wont be extremely cooler. It would also not run with only 50% of the cpus normal wattage. Since it was not supposed to run that "cool and power efficient"

Overclocking will increase the temps etc alot but underclocking doesnt do it so much.

And since the the fan in the WiiU almost "outputs" room temperature air they could with no problem make it hotter without making the fan spin faster ( I hope they wont mess with the fan its already barely acceptable in terms of noise)

Wii U doesn't sound loud to me at all, it's much quieter than my xbox. I find it just as quiet as my ps3 to be honest.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

WOW Did you guys never used any external cooling system for the consoles?

I used a lot in PS2 age... now for PS3 and Wii I didn't use but that because my room is really below the avg. temperature here (my girlfriend says my bedroom is so cold sometimes lol)... and I have a PS3 Slim model.

I think the consoles are made/projeted to temperatures like EU, US and Japan... I know these place have hot times too but for me it is cold yet lol lol lol... eg. I can't enter in the sea in Europe .

I find this quite interesting because where I live in Australia and temperatures around 35 are the norm through summer and days above 40 aren't even that unusual yet I've never heard of anyone having console overheating problems. (except RROD which is a slightly different issue)

Conventional wisdom here suggests it's unwise to stack your consoles or keep them in a very confined space but I've never seen or heard of anyone using external fans.  I've just run my Wii U all through summer in a room that get's direct sun all through the middle of the day and the system always runs cool, so it makes we wonder if there are other factors at play.

Impossible increase. They'd have to know BEFORE launch that every single unit was capable of X clockspeed before shipping, because as we saw with Xbox even a small failure % rate over 5 years is a HUGE disaster.

I was expecting say 2-3% if this was done. Not double. WTF.

Again, they'd have to know every unit could do that speed. And they didn't, or they'd have launched higher. It's not about heat/power, it's about manufacturing validation.

they really should do this and put some rams to be download from their site, I mean how much can it coest to download 4gb of ram maybe 25$, overclock the wii U at 3ghz and let us download some firmware to update the wii U gpu from what it is right now to a geforce gtx titan or something like that

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

hsrob said:

I find this quite interesting because where I live in Australia and temperatures around 35 are the norm through summer and days above 40 aren't even that unusual yet I've never heard of anyone having console overheating problems. (except RROD which is a slightly different issue)

Conventional wisdom here suggests it's unwise to stack your consoles or keep them in a very confined space but I've never seen or heard of anyone using external fans.  I've just run my Wii U all through summer in a room that get's direct sun all through the middle of the day and the system always runs cool, so it makes we wonder if there are other factors at play.

Well I can say that for Australia and Wii U but for the PS3 Slim there a lot of realates of overheating in Australia forums.

chapset said:
they really should do this and put some rams to be download from their site, I mean how much can it coest to download 4gb of ram maybe 25$, overclock the wii U at 3ghz and let us download some firmware to update the wii U gpu from what it is right now to a geforce gtx titan or something like that

u can also download BC for the n64, it will take cartridges in the disc slot

cant wait to play mario 64