By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U CPU + GPU clock speeds increased? Is it even possible?

fillet said:
JEMC said:

No, that's the rated wattage for the power brick.

Of those 72 or 75W you have to substract what it is lost due to the efficiency of the power brick (most of the new PC Power supplies are about 85% of efficiency or higher), then there is the overhead that must be left for safety reasons (you don't really want it to be always at 100% of its capacity) and other things that also make you lose some W.

Doesn't work like that.

A PSU has a rated maximum it can provide to a system, the deduction of efficieny/wasted energy is made PRIOR to the output so it has no bearing at all on anything we are discussing (but might be a good topic on a Greenpeace type forum).

A power brick rated at 75W can provide a consisten 75W of power to a device. The Wii-U would obviously not be going at those limits 100% but it is perfectly "ok" from a design perspective to be using 75W 100% of the time as that is what it is rated to. That's not the "limit", the "limit" would be higher than 75W but 24/7 use can't be guranteed at a higher draw than that.

Computer PSUs are the same a rated "650W" PSU has to be able to provide 650W continuously to the system (with caviats of certain rails only being allowed certain amount of ratio of that power draw etc, but that's a separate PC thing). The actual power draw is going to be around 750-800W on a fairly decent PSU, that gives 80%+ efficiency rating.

Note as said above, those "80%+" guranteed PSUs aren't outputting 80% of 650W for example :)

I've been lied! => RAGE!!!

Thanks for telling me.

@Third party coolers. Until the launch of the Xbox360 and the PS3 I didn't know they existed, but since their launch I've seen some of them, even for the Wii (I live in Spain, btw, so it's also hotter here). I was tempted to get one for my 360 due to all the overheating problems it had, but I didn't and it still works.

(Now I must prepare my revenge...)

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I said early this was FAKE... and I said the Power 750 Arch can't go that high clock.

Oh dear...

Looks like the last few comments have had me truly schooled, thanks for correcting me and teaching me a thing or two :)

ethomaz said:

I said early this was FAKE... and I said the Power 750 Arch can't go that high clock.

waitwaitwait...TVTROPES was the source of the rumor? As much as I love the site, but since when has TVTropes been a reliable source for ANYTHING related to hardware?

Going from 1.24 to something like 3GHz is completely out of question. Wii U's CPU is built around short pipelines, which means low clock speed but multiple instructions per cycle. Some people were suprised Nintendo got that 1.24 GHz out of the PPC 750.

Still, a smaller bump to something like 1.49 GHz (would be a clean multiplier) seems definately possible.

Around the Network
ElPresidente7 said:

Going from 1.24 to something like 3GHz is completely out of question. Wii U's CPU is built around short pipelines, which means low clock speed but multiple instructions per cycle. Some people were suprised Nintendo got that 1.24 GHz out of the PPC 750.

Still, a smaller bump to something like 1.49 GHz (would be a clean multiplier) seems definately possible.

Exactly... that's because the highest clock found in PPC 750 is 900Mhz... so the Wii U have some tricks to run at 1.24Ghz... and of course a over to ~1.49Ghz is possible.

osed125 said:
VGKing said:
Fake.

This is such a ridiculous rumor I can't believe you even made a thread about it.

We know for a fact that an increase to 3.2 GHz is pretty much impossible (unless Nintendo did some weird black magic to the system). 

It is indeed possible to this (the PSP did it), but the increase will probably be to a max of 2.0 GHz, more than that will make the system overheat. Given that the system only uses 35W of the possible 45W then the extra buff can definitely be possible, in both the CPU and GPU, the numbers in article are the ones that don't make sense.

how can you say that without been an engineer? and wii u limit is 75W, if it is at 35W reight now it makes the rumour more plausible. i don't fully believe those numbers but your arguments for saying it's not possible are wrong.

Zero999 said:

how can you say that without been an engineer? and wii u limit is 75W, if it is at 35W reight now it makes the rumour more plausible. i don't fully believe those numbers but your arguments for saying it's not possible are wrong.

It is already confirmed the Wii U CPU can't reach these clocks... FAKE.

ethomaz said:

Zero999 said:

It is already confirmed the Wii U CPU can't reach these clocks... FAKE.

if it can or not i don't know, it's a custom cpu anyway. i was replying a statement that said it would overheat the system, wich can't be proven unless you know the system limit.

Maybe it was underclocked to start with

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018