By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss with the launch of PS4"

Viper1 said:
DietSoap said:

Per year is misleading, it's obviously talking about 2003 in particular after the drop to $99 since the article is smack dab in the middle of 2004.

Per year is misleading.  A year, a quarter...doesn' tmatter.  Nintendo losing that kind of money ont he GC for any period of time would ahve been huge news.  

I suppose this is where we disagree, as much as I'd love to have you see it my way.

Around the Network
DietSoap said:
Viper1 said:
DietSoap said:

Per year is misleading, it's obviously talking about 2003 in particular after the drop to $99 since the article is smack dab in the middle of 2004.

Per year is misleading.  A year, a quarter...doesn' tmatter.  Nintendo losing that kind of money ont he GC for any period of time would ahve been huge news.  

I suppose this is where we disagree, as much as I'd love to have you see it my way.

You disagree that Nintendo losing huge money on GC hardware would have been big news?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

And you disagree that it wouldn't when they profited overall?

Max King of the Wild said:
cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

Nah Xbox is looking like the ps2, ps4 is looking like the gamecube, and the WiiU is looking like the Dreamcast. Only the games released this holiday season can turn the tides on this battle.

pokeclaudel said:
cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

Nah Xbox is looking like the ps2, ps4 is looking like the gamecube, and the WiiU is looking like the Dreamcast. Only the games released this holiday season can turn the tides on this battle.

HAHA! Oh man hysterical. Ps4 is looking like the gamecube because... You just don't like Sony? And what do we know of the nextbox to say its looking like the Ps2?

Around the Network

Affordable price will be whatever Sony decides is a fair price the consumers are willing to pay for a new console system. It will be 7 years between the PS3 launch in 2006 to the PS4 launch in 2013. Two SKUs a standard and a premium priced between $400 to $500 would make sense. October or November is looking like a great time for the PS4 to launch. 

CGI-Quality said:
pokeclaudel said:
cunger said:

I'm curious to understand how you were able to draw this conclusion (if you're being for real, that is).

Microsoft is like Sony before the 6th gen hit. They won the last gen (Nintendo is in its own class) and will start the new gen with a good fan base and a console noticeably more powerful than the previous but still affordable for the everyday man. Xbox is already synonymous with video games. Sony is in the same position as Nintendo was before 6th gen hit. They won the 6th gen but lost the 7th but instead of trying to do something different they decide to keep going with more power like Nintendo did. Only the Sony fans will stick to them. And Wii-U is hilariously underpowered and released before the others just like the Dreamcast was and only the most delusional die-hard fans are buying the console. No real games are worth playing on it besides a hand full of first party titles just like how Sega's Dreamcast was back in the day.

Unless Sony has some hard hitting titles they will be in second place again next gen. Wii-U is looking like it'll be Nintendo's swan song for the home console business with no real chance of sucess in sight. 

pokeclaudel said:

Microsoft is like Sony before the 6th gen hit. They won the last gen (Nintendo is in its own class) and will start the new gen with a good fan base and a console noticeably more powerful than the previous but still affordable for the everyday man. Xbox is already synonymous with video games. Sony is in the same position as Nintendo was before 6th gen hit. They won the 6th gen but lost the 7th but instead of trying to do something different they decide to keep going with more power like Nintendo did. Only the Sony fans will stick to them. And Wii-U is hilariously underpowered and released before the others just like the Dreamcast was and only the most delusional die-hard fans are buying the console. No real games are worth playing on it besides a hand full of first party titles just like how Sega's Dreamcast was back in the day.

Unless Sony has some hard hitting titles they will be in second place again next gen. Wii-U is looking like it'll be Nintendo's swan song for the home console business with no real chance of sucess in sight. 

Excuse me?

I have never seen any gen being won by Microsoft/XBOX. Please inform me of when this happened?

They did very good to gain market share this gen, but have not 'won' any gen whatsoever.

akuseru said:
pokeclaudel said:

Excuse me?

I have never seen any gen being won by Microsoft/XBOX. Please inform me of when this happened?

They did very good to gain market share this gen, but have not 'won' any gen whatsoever.

Uh look at the home page and you can see that XBOX is in front of PS3. I know this is a Sony thread but at least look at the plain facts. Numbers don't lie man. The 6th gen is already over with the arrival of the Wii-U hence XBOX has already beaten the PS3.

g911turbo said:
Captain_Tom said:
g911turbo said:
Captain_Tom said:
g911turbo said:
Captain_Tom said:
Machiavellian said:
Interesting enough, I wonder if this will be a boon to the WiiU. If Nintendo is able to bring out some big guns, drop the price to 250 and the PS4 and Nextbox come out at a price of 500 to 600 bones, I know what console I will be getting for Christmas.

He isn't saying the PS4 won't be sold at a loss, he is saying it won't be so huge that it causes an overall loss that quarter!  Duh!

Also the Wii U is already losing to the PS3 so I don't see how a PS4 releasing is gonna help it lol...

Strong sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 are not going to help ANY of the next generation consoles.

When did I say they would?  I said the Wii U is losing to the 8 year old 360, and the PS4 launching won't help the Wii U.  Whether or not PS3 prices affect the PS4 much is a whole other debate...

OK, I understand what you are saying now.  So let me pose a hypothesis for your original question/statement (again, not saying this will be true just throwing something out there).

Also the Wii U is already losing to the PS3 so I don't see how a PS4 releasing is gonna help it lol...

Perhaps, if the PS4 is priced high enough, say 450-500, it will showcase the Wii U as a middle ground and not overpriced.  Right now the Wii U is the most expensive kid on the block.  With not many "big hitter" games, and crappy ports, it seems almost overpriced to a much more mature ps3/360.  You're paying for the tablet addition, but not many game showcase it yet...

However, with the release of the next xbox and PS4, pricing will shift.  People will have something more expensive to compare the Wii U to, almost like a reference point.  Just a thought.  Yeah the graphics will be more polished etc, but that will come at a premium.  And the controller will still not be a tablet.

Let's say the Wii U is dropped to $250 and the PS4 is $400-450.  That will still leave the PS3 likely at $200.  An extra $50 for less capacity, worse online gaming, a FAR smaller library, and a tablet controller.  

That is the inherant problem with the Wii U: It is a trade-off, and not an upgrade.  It does not deserve a price premium over the PS360.

Meanwhile the PS4 is an extra $200 for over 10x the horsepower, larger capacity, newer and more games, lightyears better onine capabilities (Background downloading, sharing,  play while downloading), and the ability to have the Vita do everything and more that the Wii U's tablet can (If you own one, or if you want to upgrade down the line).  The PS4 is a clear upgrade over this gen, and that is why people will justify its purchase.  

P.S.  I  will say that I am worried about how well this gen will do for all 3, but still the Wii U was a year or two too late to the party, and Nintendo is gonna have rougher times ahead if they don't completely relaunch it...

I see your concerns, but I bolded some things I don't get.  

Worse online gaming comparing Wii U to PS3 or do you mean xbox 360?

The Wii U's online has few options (No BF3, Killzone, MAG, or HALO), and it is not as up to date or supported as on PS360.  The Wii U can't support large updates, and there is little incentive for 3rd parties to support a version of a came that has (Litterally) a 30th of the players as on PS360/PC.

PS4 will also have a small library when it releases.

Yes but the PS4 is launching with Killzone, InFamous, BF4, and suposedly a  few other games SONY is saving to reveal later.  I'll admit that those might just be games I love, so I care more; but can you honestly tell me ANOTHER 2D mario is equal to those?

I see where you are coming from, but you are being REALLY pessimisting on the Wii U and REALLY optomistic for the PS4.  I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  

I must stand by my claim that the Wii U is a trade off, not an upgrade (Unlike PS4/X8).  However I do think the Wii U can be saved if drastic measures are taken, and that while the PS4 will have a better launch periode, it might not be 100% smooth sailing (Console gaming IS showing some signs of shrinking).

P.S.  Thanks for not raging, I usually really p!ss people off, but you responded intellegently...