By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss with the launch of PS4"

pokeclaudel said:
CGI-Quality said:
pokeclaudel said:
Max King of the Wild said:
cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

Nah Xbox is looking like the ps2, ps4 is looking like the gamecube, and the WiiU is looking like the Dreamcast. Only the games released this holiday season can turn the tides on this battle.

I'm curious to understand how you were able to draw this conclusion (if you're being for real, that is).

Microsoft is like Sony before the 6th gen hit. They won the last gen (Nintendo is in its own class) and will start the new gen with a good fan base and a console noticeably more powerful than the previous but still affordable for the everyday man. Xbox is already synonymous with video games. Sony is in the same position as Nintendo was before 6th gen hit. They won the 6th gen but lost the 7th but instead of trying to do something different they decide to keep going with more power like Nintendo did. Only the Sony fans will stick to them. And Wii-U is hilariously underpowered and released before the others just like the Dreamcast was and only the most delusional die-hard fans are buying the console. No real games are worth playing on it besides a hand full of first party titles just like how Sega's Dreamcast was back in the day.

Unless Sony has some hard hitting titles they will be in second place again next gen. Wii-U is looking like it'll be Nintendo's swan song for the home console business with no real chance of sucess in sight. 

This may be the worst video game related post I've ever seen.

Around the Network

$499... good luck selling at that price...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

pokeclaudel said:
cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

Nah Xbox is looking like the ps2, ps4 is looking like the gamecube, and the WiiU is looking like the Dreamcast. Only the games released this holiday season can turn the tides on this battle.

HAHA! Oh man hysterical. Ps4 is looking like the gamecube because... You just don't like Sony? And what do we know of the nextbox to say its looking like the Ps2?

Personally, I'd love it if the PS4 looked like the Gamecube; as long as it's not purple.

Don't want Xbox Infinity to look like the PS2, though...

archbrix said:
pokeclaudel said:
cunger said:

HAHA! Oh man hysterical. Ps4 is looking like the gamecube because... You just don't like Sony? And what do we know of the nextbox to say its looking like the Ps2?

Personally, I'd love it if the PS4 looked like the Gamecube; as long as it's not purple.

Don't want Xbox Infinity to look like the PS2, though...

LOL. I think both will look more like a PC tower more than ever. Hopefully I'm wrong though

pokeclaudel said:
CGI-Quality said:
pokeclaudel said:
cunger said:

I'm curious to understand how you were able to draw this conclusion (if you're being for real, that is).

Microsoft is like Sony before the 6th gen hit. They won the last gen (Nintendo is in its own class) and will start the new gen with a good fan base and a console noticeably more powerful than the previous but still affordable for the everyday man. Xbox is already synonymous with video games. Sony is in the same position as Nintendo was before 6th gen hit. They won the 6th gen but lost the 7th but instead of trying to do something different they decide to keep going with more power like Nintendo did. Only the Sony fans will stick to them. And Wii-U is hilariously underpowered and released before the others just like the Dreamcast was and only the most delusional die-hard fans are buying the console. No real games are worth playing on it besides a hand full of first party titles just like how Sega's Dreamcast was back in the day.

Unless Sony has some hard hitting titles they will be in second place again next gen. Wii-U is looking like it'll be Nintendo's swan song for the home console business with no real chance of sucess in sight. 

wtf? are you on crack or something?

Around the Network
menx64 said:
$499... good luck selling at that price...

Well PS3 sold ~8 million at $599 in 2007, which in todays money is ~$710, so $499 is a pretty good price I'd say. 

Captain_Tom said:

The Wii U can't support large updates, 

Care to clarify?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

platformmaster918 said:
osed125 said:
platformmaster918 said:
osed125 said:
platformmaster918 said:
Wagram said:
Never understood selling a product at a loss to recoup through software or accessories. I don't believe i've ever seen that as a successful viable strategy.

PS1 and 2 say hi

Both did lose money during the first year, the following years were profitable. Also there's the fact that Sony other divisions were extremely profitable at the time (especially TVs which is now in a very difficult position). They could take the losses very easily, and one of the reasons they decided to go the same route with the PS3 (and obviously didn't worked for them).

Loosing money on hardware is a very risky business decision, companies try to avoid as much as they can, but is something they most do in order to have an attractive price point. 

unfotuneatly people don't seem to realize what a deal they're getting on game systems even when you sell them at a loss.  If you went out and tried to build these things you would have to spend over $600 easily (especially considering they get significantly more performance out of those same components).  I think they should start out at $500 since most people wait for the first pricedrop and every pricedrop gives them a sales boost.  Why start at $400 when sales will drop off quick when you can start at $500 and cut price to $450 the following Fall to give yourself a boost.  Obviously it gets to a point where this gets stupid and no one would start at $700 or whatever but I'm saying that $500 can be accepted by hardcore fans and make a profit hopefully for a little and then you just have to hold out for long enough to not have to have an ambassador program.  In the end as WiiU and Vita have shown us you just gotta create an enticing product.  WiiU is lower than the other next gen systems most likely but it's not selling because it looks like a 7th gen console and people just aren't excited.

Selling the system at a high price just for your fanbase is a double edge sword. How long can your fanbase satisfy your sales? And even the most hardcore fans can't simple pay $500 because of money issues or other stuff. That didn't worked with the PS3 (and that was worst because they were already taken a $300 loss on every console) and it probably won't work now.

If you don't have good sales at the beginning, you're not going to get support, no support = no sales. Unless you do a very risky price cut (like Nintendo did with the 3DS) most consoles don't have an official price reduction until their first or one and a half year on the market. Sony had a hell of time restoring the PS3, not sure if they can do that again.

Companies need to attract every fanbase from the beginning, if they don't it will result in another PS3 all over again, which can't be good for Sony.

Yeah if sales are deplorable I don't think it'll be good but if PS3 can get support PS4 will.  I was mainly talking about how they could actually make money from the start because as you said they were already taking a huge loss with PS3 and still had to cut price early by big margins $100 instead of $50).

Never said people would be buying PS4 to use Netflix. But if it didn't buy Netflix, many wouldn't buy it at all. These are more than just video game consoles now. Would you buy a phone that can only make phone calls? Most wouldn't. 

Viper1 said:
Captain_Tom said:

The Wii U can't support large updates, 

Care to clarify?

No standard HDD, no updates.  You can't even play BF3 on the 360 with the 4GB version (Intalled textures or not).  Nintendo shot themselves in the foot when they released an 8GB version...

Well Sony, it all depends on the initial price you set...