By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony forecast only 5 million Vita and PSP unit sales in FY14

Somini said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Somini said:

Hearing about how something is doing bad is not the same as saying it's dead in the water. But never mind it's obvious what you're doing. I tried to have a reasonable discussion about it with you, but that seems to be impossible.

Just ignore them, I have since than post less and less here due to the attitude of gamer's toward other gamer's on this board, and its not just because a certain group is being poked fun of all the time, its pretty much everyone's group is targeted, and its getting to the point of many times now that its the same story  folded spindled and mutilated, when certain calling the product dead and than it just keep's living.

Its Seem's for  in Sony's case they miss judged the PS3 early termination, but called it on the  the demise of the PSPGo they have been looking to call more more death portants of More console's made by Sony.

this is the same with Nintendo and Microsoft. there are it seem's gamer's who take delight, in getting under the skin of other gamer's for pleasure. if it get's to you than you are letting them rile you up on a emotional level.

its how they can skirt the no Trolling Edict of the forum, but really it show's using psychology to avoid the pure intent of the Edict is just as bad as the one's doing it outright.

They do it because they know the response it will generate, thus they are not being very prudent.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Tomothebarbarian93 said:
I hope Sony still support the Vita well this year even if they only expect to shift around 5 mil,

Its a great device and i want some new stuff come E3.

I already said this in the official financial thread: I think Sony will keep it alive until PS4 is released to see if the remote-play-feature will revive Vita. If even this fails... Well, then we have to wait for another forecast ;) Sony's only realistic option is a massive price-cut. Uncharted didn't help the Vita and I can't see a system-seller on the horizon, although Killzone looks good.

Looks like Sonys pretty much written off the Vita at this point, but at least they're  supporting it for another year at least.

Better low sales than money bleeding at this point.

mii-gamer said:
i am a bit pessimistic about the vita.Sony has not done anything to increase my confident in the console. This announcement did not help the situation. 5 mil is a tad low. Does sony have any confidence in the vita anymore?

"i am a bit pessimistic about the vita.Sony has not done anything to increase my confident in the console."

while i understand where you are looking at this, let me ask you a Question:

does sales projections really matter in the enjoyment of the system as long as the content keep's coming?

you asked this:

" Does sony have any confidence in the vita anymore?"

If Sony did not have any confidence in the PSVita why even talk about it on stage about its direct connection with the PS4, why court more and more indie developer's? To save the system? right now many are calling the PSVita dead in the water with the PSVita not even been on the sales market for a 2nd year yet for pete's sake it just had its first year on the market in Feb.

Do you think Sony looks at development of it's platforms in a low early support cycle, when their business plan for their playstation product line has always been 10 year support cycle of each and every playstation, though some times they do not reach that lofty goal, ie: the PSPGo, but look at it this way is the PSVita doing worse than the PSPGo? How about is there interest into getting the PSVita by many gamer's but the price point is just too high for many to see it as a viable purchase because no real software that they see is worth making it a purchase at all?

that is the thing unlike many handhelds the PSPVita's development for software can be 18 months for a single game for development, this put it in the same development level of a living room game console.

people right now see the price of the PSVita for the system, the blank memory and the no real software that get's them interested in the PSVita right now, you do not think Sony does not see these complaints they are all over the freaking internet.

Just because you do not hear about any games does not mean they are not in development, as a matter of fact there is quite a few games being listed to be releasing on the PSVita, by developer's they may not be AAA big budget, but why if this platform is so dead, and its projected to sell only less than 5 Million why are those games still being released for the PSVita?

Because its quite very simple, Sony's handheld game console is not just the PSVita, they also have the Playstation Mobile platform, which may not be much right now, but think about it. the PSVita still plays those playstation Mobile games, they are low investment but the ROI can be much higher than investment cost's  to make those game's, many say but i want AAA games, than you will have to wait for them upto 18 months per game.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

well, better expecting low numbers and exceed those as expecting good numbers and miss them. not sure if sony really believes only 5 million sold. i mean, it will also work as streaming device for the ps4, i'm sure at least a few people will buy a vita then. not only for that but the combination of handheld and streaming device for ps4 sounds good.

walsufnir said:

I already said this in the official financial thread: I think Sony will keep it alive until PS4 is released to see if the remote-play-feature will revive Vita. If even this fails... Well, then we have to wait for another forecast ;) Sony's only realistic option is a massive price-cut. Uncharted didn't help the Vita and I can't see a system-seller on the horizon, although Killzone looks good.

why Price cut to lower more profit at this point?

they are not setting the world afire with the PSVita, but on the same token they are not ignoring the platform also. the larger budget games for PSVita takes upwards upto and past 18 months to make, why try to push further loss's right now instead of selling software digital distribution that is almost pure profit for them and 3rd party, if anything has really opened up low investment higher return software sales its the Application's market for mobile devices. You do not think Sony see's that as a viable solution for the PSVita to go along with their smartphones and Tablet Gameing with Playstation Mobile?

Projected lower sales for the platform does not outright mean they care less about the platform, as a matter of fact they are the only other dedicated game handheld other than Nintendo branded, that are selling Million's of unit's a year. If developer's can make a port of their software that they were going to be putting on Smartphone's anyway, do you think that they want upwards of an extra 5 million sales. Think about How many has the PSVita sold sofar, the very fact that the PSVita has the same hardware just tweaked  of that of a high end smartphone its using the same chip's, do you really think Sony is in the Hurry to gain further loss'es?

projecting 5 million now, and if the demand increases you can increase it then why worry about trying to further erode your profit center more when your entire part of the biz. only generated 17 million because you are upto your eye ball's fixing thing's its not a race its a marathon. Sony's business plan when they pitch the new playstation product is still a 10 year support cycle for every playstation, sometimes you reach those lofty goals, sometimes you cannot example: PSPGo. That still does not take away from the fact that their business plan for the PSVita is 10 year support cycle , if they reach it or do not is anyone's guess at this point, all i do know from past experience Sony has reached the support cycle for their platforms more times than not.

I AM BOLO

ps:

NEET said:

Looks like Sonys pretty much written off the Vita at this point, but at least they're  supporting it for another year at least.

"supporting it for another year at least"

Lowering the projected sales is not outright saying we do not care about this platform and we are not confident in the viability of the product, it may mean they were looking at the sales data for the year and decided to look at a more realistic level of projected sales for the platform right now. remember this product just recently only been on the market for a single year!

I AM BOLO

ps:

crissindahouse said:

well, better expecting low numbers and exceed those as expecting good numbers and miss them. not sure if sony really believes only 5 million sold. i mean, it will also work as streaming device for the ps4, i'm sure at least a few people will buy a vita then. not only for that but the combination of handheld and streaming device for ps4 sounds good.

Correct, if anything over the past year Sony overestamiated Vita sales and are being realistic on numbers (or intentionally low balling to have it out perform)  putting up high shipment numbers only to recant them is not the way to go now adays.

Gonna be sad when they have to revise this downward, too.