By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WiiU and Vita owners, can we all agree that both consoles are similarly disastrous and move on?

Can we make peace?

Never! WiiU is slightly l... 203 48.22%

Never! Vita is marginally... 106 25.18%

I'm a dirty hippie and b... 86 20.43%

I'm a MS fan and I'm lo... 26 6.18%

Total:421
Zero999 said:

ps3 and xbox 360 did sub wii u numbers, did that cause an industry crash?

You're wrong. WiiU sells currently worse than PS3 and X360 did in their respective first year. Look here, I made a thread about the sales: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152379

WiiU had better launch-sales, to be correct the WiiU-launch was great. But in the year these numbers couldn't be held up.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
Yakuzaice said:
Zero999 said:

They never had weekly sales as low as the Wii U.  Also there was the Wii, and the DS/PSP were doing better than the 3DS/Vita.  In your world we'd have 3 consoles doing less than 100k combined next April.

only 2. wii u will be selling much better starting Q3/4 2013.

Regardless, you'd have two consoles doing 50k or less, and the Wii U doing what?  Even if it magically went up to 300k, that would be a smaller hardware market than 2007.

To put it into further perspective, the 3 consoles and 2 handhelds did 13.5 million units of hardware in the first quarter of 2007.  Meanwhile the Wii U has done 603k in the first quarter of this year.  If both the PS4 and 720 do even worse than that we are looking at maybe a million from them.  The magical 300k a week would give the Wii U 3.9 million.  So that would leave 8.6 million for the handhelds to make up.  Considering they did less than 3.2 million this year, that doesn't seem likely.  So yes, if the next gen consoles do even worse than the Wii U, the industry would be in deep trouble.

Both have sold badly, but Wii U has a better chance of turning things around.

VGKing said:
I agree. Both are selling so horribly that it isn't even worth making up excuses for them. Sale will probably improve, but they will never compete with the other consoles.

This.  Vita is going to be last place for the portable consoles this gen, Wii U will be last place for home consoles this gen.

I think this year the Vita will have more overall sales than the Wii U if there's ever a price drop, but eventually the Wii U will have more sales altogether when its price drop hits and the catalog of Mario games starts coming in.  The problem with Vita is Sony rarely does price drops on consoles so after one price drop we won't see another for awhile.  With Nintendo, they're not against doing console price drops because their first party games are almost always full MSRP their entire lifespan. 

That being said.  Right now the Vita is doing better when it comes to the games.  It has more quality exclusives.  I haven't yet bought any PS3 games on my Vita(although DoA5, Rayman Origins, and Dragon's Crown will eventually happen) and the Wii U is in the same boat with just about every game worth getting on another console.  Unless you're a die hard Nintendo fan, there is no reason to purchase a Wii U at this point when you can wait until it finally starts getting exclusives giving a reason to purchase it.

Mnementh said:
A thing to consider: people referring to the 3DS-turnaround and hope that will happen for WiiU. That is fair. But remember what was the consequence of the emergency-game-development for 3DS: a game-drought for WiiU. Iwata already confirmed, that many WiiU-projects were understaffed. If they now set an emergency-dev-focus on WiiU, it might lead to another game-drought on 3DS. Not that bad at this moment, as 3DS seems mostly saved, but not good either.

3DS also is very affordable at $180. Wii U won't get there any time soon. 

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
Mnementh said:
Zero999 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

The Wii U has little to no chances of "selling well"?

No Wii Sports, no Wii Play, no Wii Fit, no 3D Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid, no Super Smash Bros., no Mario Party, no Animal Crossing and not even a Mario Kart title has arrived yet. And you are already certain that the Wii U has low chances of selling well?

That's nice, I guess.

I mean, if well means N64 numbers then it's possible. That's why I wrote "well" with quote marks. It's not like those franchises made the N64 or GC sell gangbusters. The Wii series is an uncertainty but we'll see.

And Vita also has chances of selling N64 numbers anyway.

What it comes down to is that we should stop fighting about these two beacuse they're both a disaster. Vita is a disaster. WiiU is a disaster.

vita is a disaster, it's 1 and a half year old and has no big game released or anounced yet.

wii u is six months old and is getting it's AAA titles on the next few months. wii u is definetely doing bad NOW, but it's no disaster. I can't wait for next box and ps4 to release and sell sub wii u numbers, then see if sony/micro fans will call them doomed.

If Nextbox and PS4 sell sub-WiiU-numbers the game industry is in for a big crash. That will be no fun for gamers. Lets not hope that happens.

Take it as it is: WiiU is a disaster sales-wise. Sure, I love to play MH3U, Lego City, NFS and ZombiU. But that doesn't change the fact, that for most of the population the WiiU wasn't interesting enough to put the money on the table. Yes, Nintendo has a lot of options left to save the device. Let's hope that will work. But at the moment it is in the same pit the Vita is.

Wii was there to save the day. It was an affordable console marketed toward everyone from kids to grandmas.

I think the big question here is that since Wii U isn't selling well, what will pick up the slack? PS4 or XBox 720? It's tough predict since both of these will be about $500. Maybe none of them will. The industry will be kept afloat by PS3 and 360 for a few more years until the others become affordable.

kupomogli said:
VGKing said:
I agree. Both are selling so horribly that it isn't even worth making up excuses for them. Sale will probably improve, but they will never compete with the other consoles.

This.  Vita is going to be last place for the portable consoles this gen, Wii U will be last place for home consoles this gen.

I think this year the Vita will have more overall sales than the Wii U if there's ever a price drop, but eventually the Wii U will have more sales altogether when its price drop hits and the catalog of Mario games starts coming in.  The problem with Vita is Sony rarely does price drops on consoles so after one price drop we won't see another for awhile.  With Nintendo, they're not against doing console price drops because their first party games are almost always full MSRP their entire lifespan. 

That being said.  Right now the Vita is doing better when it comes to the games.  It has more quality exclusives.  I haven't yet bought any PS3 games on my Vita(although DoA5, Rayman Origins, and Dragon's Crown will eventually happen) and the Wii U is in the same boat with just about every game worth getting on another console.  Unless you're a die hard Nintendo fan, there is no reason to purchase a Wii U at this point when you can wait until it finally starts getting exclusives giving a reason to purchase it.

based on what? the imaginary performance of ps4 and nextbox?

VGKing said:

Wii was there to save the day. It was an affordable console marketed toward everyone from kids to grandmas.

I think the big question here is that since Wii U isn't selling well, what will pick up the slack? PS4 or XBox 720? It's tough predict since both of these will be about $500. Maybe none of them will. The industry will be kept afloat by PS3 and 360 for a few more years until the others become affordable.

Didn't you forget anyone on your post? hint: starts with W and ends with U

Its useless to say this, but a products sucess is not measured in one year. There are still price cuts to come and these systems will stay in the market for a long time.
Also saying the systems are disastrous isnt very accurate. Both systems are insanely good. Nitendo and Sony just failed to show costumers that and developers cant take many risks in this market.

VGKing said:
Mnementh said:
A thing to consider: people referring to the 3DS-turnaround and hope that will happen for WiiU. That is fair. But remember what was the consequence of the emergency-game-development for 3DS: a game-drought for WiiU. Iwata already confirmed, that many WiiU-projects were understaffed. If they now set an emergency-dev-focus on WiiU, it might lead to another game-drought on 3DS. Not that bad at this moment, as 3DS seems mostly saved, but not good either.

3DS also is very affordable at $180. Wii U won't get there any time soon. 

You know very well the market doesn't look at the price of handhelds and home consoles the same way, so I don't even know what you're trying to do with that comparison.

Also, unlike the 3DS' $250 launch price which was way above the price previous handhelds like GBA, DS launched at, the WiiU isn't too expensive at all. $300 or less has always been a good price to launch at.

WiiU's problem is the software drought and marketing.