By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Next-Gen Xbox Is Getting a Hell of an Exclusive, Sources Say

VGKing said:
Nsanity said:
VGKing said:
Darth Tigris said:
VGKing said:
Nsanity said:

"I really hope the exclusive rumors are false"

"Please come to PS4"

"please no xbox exclusive"

"I really hope its a myth your title will be exclusive to Microsoft"

"Really hope it is not Xbox exclusive. I was looking forward to supporting a great team"

"better now be exclusive -_- been waiting for your game and ill be upset if its just for Microsoft consoles"

"hope it comes to ps4. Bigger potential market and satisfy all your fans"

I don't see anything wrong here. Those people have every right to wan this game on their platform. It doen't make business sense to make it exclusive either. If EA/Respawn want this game to at least put up a fight against the likes of Call of Duty or Battlefield, it MUST be multi-platform. We've seen what timed-exclusivity does with games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. Considering the quality of these franchises, they don't sell very well. It's all because of poor business decisions made earlier in the generation. Bioshock Infinite should have sold double what it did at launch.

So do you feel the same about the timed exclusives announced for the PS4?

There are no timed-exclusives announced for PS4. Hell, there's no timed-exclusves announced for XBox 720. 
There was a similar rumor about the Destiny games and we saw how that turned out.

Although I would like to have timed-exclusive PS4 games, I know its unfair for the gamer community. The only way it is fair is in a Bayonetta 2 type of situation where the game would never have been made without partnerships. From what I understand from this rumor, the game was already a good amount of time in development only to be snatched up by Microsoft because they don't have enough 1st party content for launch.

Again, these are rumors so let's not get away from outselves. Kotaku isn't the most reliable of sources anyway. 

The Witness is a timed exclusive for PS4.

The developer confirmed himself that no money changed hands. Its differnt when developers come to you and offer exclusivity instead of you going to them with deep pockets. It's no secret that Sony has been very active in getting indie support for the PS4. 

That's changing the rules mid game.  This is not Calvinball.  It IS a timed exclusive, which are done for multiple reasons not just because of moneyhatting.  Heck, Sony FEATURING the game during their huge PS4 reveal instead of another game basically BOUGHT Blow and The Witness more popularity than it could've gotten just about anywhere else.  There may not have been direct money that has changed hands, but Sony definitely spent money on The Witness.

IF this is true of this debut game from Respawn, for all that we know it could be a similar agreement.  So it's not fair to demonize MS for something that Sony does as well.  Unless one is a fanboy, of course...

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Darth Tigris said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ethomaz said:

Kaz predicted that today before the article out (of couse he had his own sources).

Gamer: Variety!

Microsoft: Shooter!

PS4 reveal highlighted TWO futuristic sci-fi FPS's (Killzone and Destiny), so why are you calling out MS for something that they haven't even done yet when Sony did exactly what you're stating ... ?

OT:  So how are all of these comments from obvious Playstation fans about shooters on the next Xbox not considered trolling by the mods???

LOL....

So there was no Knack, Last of Us, InFamous, The Witness and other various games shown. LOL Sony might make shooters, but their identity isnt wrapped around shooters. Even you can admit that. Dont tell me when you think PS3 you think Killzone alone....no..no my friend.

P.S.

I will make a bold prediction and say, yes, very, very boldly that Microsoft just made a studio called Black Tusk that will eventually unveil another shooter. ;)

You're trying to shift the focus, though.  Just like Sony, it makes sense that MS will have a variety of games as well.  But two of the highest profile games at the PS4 reveal were futuristic sci-fi shooters (one first party even) and that in particular is what you're criticizing Microsoft for.  That's definitively hypocritical and, imo, is trolling.  But here that kind of rhetoric has been used so much that it must be written off as an opinion by the mods or something ...

Sony makes enough games not to fall victim to the stigma of shooters. They've been making games so long now and they've wanted to break the western shooter market since Halo launched. Microsoft might have had a lot of third parties, but the Xbox would've been nothing without Halo. Without Halo they probably would've only sold like 10-15 million consoles based on third parties alone. Sony had the luxury when it join the gaming industry of being open to the needs of third parties and attributing to their first party development whilst having their own ideals for what a game should be. Their ideals were to make blockbusters with a ride the movies like mentality. I read about that when they had Naughty Dog and Insomniac who both like to make movie-like games. Microsoft knows their sweet spot and it just seems to be shooters and multimedia which is why my PC is now an Xbox for some reason. If Sony had the perfect one game like halo on their console they would not run for the hills for every style of shooter they can.

Darth Tigris said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This picture may be the only thing that we've ever agreed upon, lol.  Amen!

:)

Darth Tigris said:
VGKing said:
Nsanity said:
VGKing said:
Darth Tigris said:
VGKing said:
Nsanity said:

"I really hope the exclusive rumors are false"

"Please come to PS4"

"please no xbox exclusive"

"I really hope its a myth your title will be exclusive to Microsoft"

"Really hope it is not Xbox exclusive. I was looking forward to supporting a great team"

"better now be exclusive -_- been waiting for your game and ill be upset if its just for Microsoft consoles"

"hope it comes to ps4. Bigger potential market and satisfy all your fans"

I don't see anything wrong here. Those people have every right to wan this game on their platform. It doen't make business sense to make it exclusive either. If EA/Respawn want this game to at least put up a fight against the likes of Call of Duty or Battlefield, it MUST be multi-platform. We've seen what timed-exclusivity does with games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. Considering the quality of these franchises, they don't sell very well. It's all because of poor business decisions made earlier in the generation. Bioshock Infinite should have sold double what it did at launch.

So do you feel the same about the timed exclusives announced for the PS4?

There are no timed-exclusives announced for PS4. Hell, there's no timed-exclusves announced for XBox 720. 
There was a similar rumor about the Destiny games and we saw how that turned out.

Although I would like to have timed-exclusive PS4 games, I know its unfair for the gamer community. The only way it is fair is in a Bayonetta 2 type of situation where the game would never have been made without partnerships. From what I understand from this rumor, the game was already a good amount of time in development only to be snatched up by Microsoft because they don't have enough 1st party content for launch.

Again, these are rumors so let's not get away from outselves. Kotaku isn't the most reliable of sources anyway. 

The Witness is a timed exclusive for PS4.

The developer confirmed himself that no money changed hands. Its differnt when developers come to you and offer exclusivity instead of you going to them with deep pockets. It's no secret that Sony has been very active in getting indie support for the PS4. 

That's changing the rules mid game.  This is not Calvinball.  It IS a timed exclusive, which are done for multiple reasons not just because of moneyhatting.  Heck, Sony FEATURING the game during their huge PS4 reveal instead of another game basically BOUGHT Blow and The Witness more popularity than it could've gotten just about anywhere else.  There may not have been direct money that has changed hands, but Sony definitely spent money on The Witness.

IF this is true of this debut game from Respawn, for all that we know it could be a similar agreement.  So it's not fair to demonize MS for something that Sony does as well.  Unless one is a fanboy, of course...

All timed exclusives are the cause of moneyhatting when used on third parties. They are paid extra to cover the costs of loss of profit on multiple consoles. The same goes for full exclusives in which even more has to be paid for potential losses due to exclusivity. Microsoft has paid Bioware, Activision (even raising Xbox Live costs because of it) Epic and now EA and Respawn.

If MS has bought respawn game as exclusive to the 360 it probably would be a win win for both companies. If MS does not have a AAA FPS multplayer shooter ready for the nextbox release then this probably will fit the bill. For Respawn, your first new game needs a big marketing push which going exclusive on a console will give them. MS pays for the marketing which you know will be on every TV this side of the western continent. It will get prime showing at their event and probably featured on lot of sites etc. Respawn is a multiplayer shooter and those types of games do great on MS systems especially since MS multiplayer games have strong communities. This really just look like good timing and good business for both companies.

Around the Network

Interesting to say the least; hopefully the yearly tradition of CoD games doesn't follow with this game. Can't wait for official news. 

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

PureDante said:

Interesting to say the least; hopefully the yearly tradition of CoD games doesn't follow with this game. Can't wait for official news. 

Oh, I am pretty sure they are still paying Activision as well. If Microsoft doesn't impress with first party for three gens in a row, they should just pay third party to do all the work for them.

BenVTrigger said:
Tachikoma said:
also, loling that people dont know much of anything concrete about the game and already spouting crap about if it'll be a 'megaton' or not.

Reads comment

Looks at comment same user posted above that

Notices said user calls the game generic, forms pre concieved notions about it without "knowing much of anything concrete about the game and already spouting crap" about how he thinks it wont be a Megaton

Lols

really now, name one futuriatic shooter pn ANY system, after halo and possibly killzone (basically system defining shooters) that didnt turn out to be a generic run and gun effort? go on, i'll wait.

Tachikoma said:
BenVTrigger said:
Tachikoma said:
also, loling that people dont know much of anything concrete about the game and already spouting crap about if it'll be a 'megaton' or not.

Reads comment

Notices said user calls the game generic, forms pre concieved notions about it without "knowing much of anything concrete about the game and already spouting crap" about how he thinks it wont be a Megaton

Lols

really now, name one futuriatic shooter after halo and possibly killzone (basically system defining shooters) that didnt turn out to be a generic run and gun effort? go on, i'll wait.

Gears of War

BenVTrigger said:
Tachikoma said:
BenVTrigger said:
Tachikoma said:

Reads comment

Lols

really now, name one futuriatic shooter after halo and possibly killzone (basically system defining shooters) that didnt turn out to be a generic run and gun effort? go on, i'll wait.

Gears of War

that my boy is a third person, were talking about first person shooters here.

but i'll be kind and let you have it anyway, gears was made by epic games with a long history of futuriatic shooters and earth-like worlds in appropriate settings, now name another one? my assumption is based purely on the type of game theyre used to making, suddenly deciding hey lets make a space themed futuristic shooter rarely goes well, even if yoi have experience in that area, look at dust from the eve creators, how well is dust doing now?

Then free radical? after time splitters they went and made haze.... yeah...