By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 will outsell PS4 and Wii-U. Kinect 2.0 will be Killer App - Opinion Piece.

Otakumegane said:

They will have to surpass that barrier of uncanny-ness if this is going to work.

I'm not sure what the point of that video is. Kinda just a long winded way of saying Kinect doesn't work well with all games. But does it need to?

At the end of the video he says something along the lines of games may not use full body motion devices well. But at launch the Kinect demonstrated to be great for some genres.

It seems like people like to shit on Kinect for not bring great with all genres.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:

They will have to surpass that barrier of uncanny-ness if this is going to work.

I really enjoyed that video. It is a very good analysis of control schemes and why there are issues. It kind of reminds me of how many feel about the transition from 2D to 3D graphics. Some early 3D games didn't do a good job. There were camera angles, new control inputs, more graphics to represent and therefor some quality degraded. But then you had really great use of 3D graphics and over time new tactics were used and tweaked and now we have very sophisticated 3D graphic games.

It could easily be the same with controller-less motion controls, but early on, devs are trying to recreate the precision and standard of current games or taking the first steps into new concepts that just don't translate into good games yet.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:
Otakumegane said:

I really enjoyed that video. It is a very good analysis of control schemes and why there are issues. It kind of reminds me of how many feel about the transition from 2D to 3D graphics. Some early 3D games didn't do a good job. There were camera angles, new control inputs, more graphics to represent and therefor some quality degraded. But then you had really great use of 3D graphics and over time new tactics were used and tweaked and now we have very sophisticated 3D graphic games.

It could easily be the same with controller-less motion controls, but early on, devs are trying to recreate the precision and standard of current games or taking the first steps into new concepts that just don't translate into good games yet.

Good points.

Mr Puggsly said:
Otakumegane said:

It seems like people like to shit on Kinect for not bring great with all genres.

I thought everyone was used to the anti-ms ways of VGC.

ironmanDX said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Otakumegane said:

Yeah, I know. They just shit on Kinect because its a MS product. I'm thinking too much.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
ironmanDX said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Otakumegane said:

Yeah, I know. They just shit on Kinect because its a MS product. I'm thinking too much.

Yeah because people LOVE wiimote and Move around these parts. Please, if they are shitting on it, it is because it is a motion device. Which some around here dont care about. I like Kinect for stuff like dancing(hell of alot better than the other two) and things like Kinect Sports which i enjoyed. Anything else i pass. Anyone thought it was going to do "core" gaming even remotely well. Was a fool. 

OT i doubt it. They kind of got people really excited last time, because it was something different. Even if Kinect 2 is better, which i dont doubt, its not different so its not going to be as exciting. I dont see people shelling out 400 plus for a better Kinect. Its kind of like why Wii us arent flying of the shelf. Its nothing new, tablets have been around for a while. 

Just like Kinect 1 was the killer app for the 360?

Oh wait...

With all the next-gen news blitz, I completely forgot about the importance of Kinect.

Here are my top 5 reasons why I think Kinect 1.0 will be the killer App for Xbox 360.

1.Kinect will make even multiplatform games better on Xbox 360.

2.Kinect will work alongside the standard gaming controller.

3.Younger gamers will be attracted to Kinect 1.0 resulting in toy-like sales (millions upon millions of units) for Xbox 360.

4.A hardcore game using only Kinect 1.0 could be an industry changing experience.

5.You can only experience Kinect 1.0 on Xbox 360.

If kinect 2.0 fails then they could always give this a try 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/29/4281228/microsoft-illumiroom-table-projector-for-next-xbox

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

i hope Microsoft is getting everything behind Kinect 2.0! I relly do!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Nah i don't really like Kinect, it hasn't done anything good for gaming. I still see it a gimmick and Microsoft should focus on games for their traditional controller. Controller free is something technology can't do to well, right now

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018