By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 will outsell PS4 and Wii-U. Kinect 2.0 will be Killer App - Opinion Piece.

VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
No.

Kinect doesn't work for core games. People don't want it.

How exactly will Kinect make multiplats better on Xbox 720? Is this seriously a joke thread?

Yeah kind of like how consoles couldn't handle FPS games or RTS games or consoles would never get an MMO. But oh wait then technology progressed. Kinect can already handle platformers, action games, third person shooters, dance/fitness, even the wonky ones like music, pet simulator, and whatever you wanna call Child of Eden. How about we see what the next generation of Kinect can do before we say it doesn't work?

We've seen that Kinect isn't suited for core games. I don't see that changing next-gen, no matter how much more accurate the thing gets.

Like others have said before, Microsofts strength comes from 3rd party software. Most won't make Kinect exclusives. Most will prefer to make PS4/720 multiplats.

Yet I just listed a bunch of "core" genres Kinect worked just fine with this gen. And being more accurate is exactly what will make it even better for those and other genres in the future.

Sony's strength was 3rd party software last gen and it became 1st party software this gen. Things change. Of course, this is a waste of time with you in a MS thread though so toodles.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
No.

Kinect doesn't work for core games. People don't want it.

How exactly will Kinect make multiplats better on Xbox 720? Is this seriously a joke thread?

Yeah kind of like how consoles couldn't handle FPS games or RTS games or consoles would never get an MMO. But oh wait then technology progressed. Kinect can already handle platformers, action games, third person shooters, dance/fitness, even the wonky ones like music, pet simulator, and whatever you wanna call Child of Eden. How about we see what the next generation of Kinect can do before we say it doesn't work?

We've seen that Kinect isn't suited for core games. I don't see that changing next-gen, no matter how much more accurate the thing gets.

Like others have said before, Microsofts strength comes from 3rd party software. Most won't make Kinect exclusives. Most will prefer to make PS4/720 multiplats.

Yet I just listed a bunch of "core" genres Kinect worked just fine with this gen. And being more accurate is exactly what will make it even better for those and other genres in the future.

Sony's strength was 3rd party software last gen and it became 1st party software this gen. Things change. Of course, this is a waste of time with you in a MS thread though so toodles.

If you enjoy Kinect games then good for you. I won't judge you for it. Just not my thing. I certainly don't think its the future of gaming. At all.

3rd party is still Sony's biggest strength this gen and will be the next as well.

BTW, rude much?

I definitely hope so.

Xbox live rumored to be renamed Xbox Life.

I like that name.

Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:

OT i doubt it. They kind of got people really excited last time, because it was something different. Even if Kinect 2 is better, which i dont doubt, its not different so its not going to be as exciting. I dont see people shelling out 400 plus for a better Kinect. Its kind of like why Wii us arent flying of the shelf. Its nothing new, tablets have been around for a while. 

Perhaps Kinect 2 won't have the selling power of the original. However, I feel there is still a lot of interest in full body motion controls and it has yet to reach its potential. In my opinion its still a big edge over the competition, especially when appealing to casuals.

The Wii U tablet wasn't a great idea to push a platform period. Not just because tablets have been around for a while, it just doesn't add much to game experience. The Wiimote was an innovative idea that got people up and playing games intuitively. The Wii U tablet is just more junk that probably seems confusing and even unnecessary to the casual consumer.

I agree in terms of potential, but i dont agree in terms of appeal. I dont see it as a big edge over the competition. Because A) the Kinect 1 wasnt a HUGE edge over the competition in the grander scheme of things. It rattled cages, but Wii is still 1 and 360 is only a million ahead worldwide, the interest kinda fizzled after the first year. B) I still dont see people spending 400+ just to get a better version of something they already have. Especially the casuals thats oustide of the pricing range, look at Wii U, hell look at 3ds

It fizzled after the first year? Well I would consider 2010 the first year. In 2011 it sold over 7 million units. In 2012 it sold over 4.5 million units. If new consoles weren't coming I'd expect big numbers this holiday as well. The Kinect didn't fizzle like the Wii Fit or Move, because there is still interest in full body motion gaming. The Kinect is still an edge on the casual market.

You seem to think if people don't want Kinect 2 at launch, they'll never get it. But they may get it down the road. The original Kinect didn't achieve 20 million sales over night.

Wii U sales are abysmal for a lot of reasons. I blame the uninteresting tablet, 7th gen graphics, and poor library more than price.

That is what i call fizzling a big drop after the first year. how well does the device do when its NOT bundled?

Your the one that said it will have an edge, it wont if people will not be willing to buy it for 400+ when 720 launches against PS4 and Wii U's cheaper price. I dont seem to think anything, dont put words in my mouth. I never said they will never want, im saying they wont want it at that price. How long do you think it will drop to a price that is casual friendly it wont be in its first year thats for sure.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:

OT i doubt it. They kind of got people really excited last time, because it was something different. Even if Kinect 2 is better, which i dont doubt, its not different so its not going to be as exciting. I dont see people shelling out 400 plus for a better Kinect. Its kind of like why Wii us arent flying of the shelf. Its nothing new, tablets have been around for a while. 

Perhaps Kinect 2 won't have the selling power of the original. However, I feel there is still a lot of interest in full body motion controls and it has yet to reach its potential. In my opinion its still a big edge over the competition, especially when appealing to casuals.

The Wii U tablet wasn't a great idea to push a platform period. Not just because tablets have been around for a while, it just doesn't add much to game experience. The Wiimote was an innovative idea that got people up and playing games intuitively. The Wii U tablet is just more junk that probably seems confusing and even unnecessary to the casual consumer.

I agree in terms of potential, but i dont agree in terms of appeal. I dont see it as a big edge over the competition. Because A) the Kinect 1 wasnt a HUGE edge over the competition in the grander scheme of things. It rattled cages, but Wii is still 1 and 360 is only a million ahead worldwide, the interest kinda fizzled after the first year. B) I still dont see people spending 400+ just to get a better version of something they already have. Especially the casuals thats oustide of the pricing range, look at Wii U, hell look at 3ds

It fizzled after the first year? Well I would consider 2010 the first year. In 2011 it sold over 7 million units. In 2012 it sold over 4.5 million units. If new consoles weren't coming I'd expect big numbers this holiday as well. The Kinect didn't fizzle like the Wii Fit or Move, because there is still interest in full body motion gaming. The Kinect is still an edge on the casual market.

You seem to think if people don't want Kinect 2 at launch, they'll never get it. But they may get it down the road. The original Kinect didn't achieve 20 million sales over night.

Wii U sales are abysmal for a lot of reasons. I blame the uninteresting tablet, 7th gen graphics, and poor library more than price.

That is what i call fizzling a big drop after the first year. how well does the device do when its NOT bundled?

Your the one that said it will have an edge, it wont if people will not be willing to buy it for 400+ when 720 launches against PS4 and Wii U's cheaper price. I dont seem to think anything, dont put words in my mouth. I never said they will never want, im saying they wont want it at that price. How long do you think it will drop to a price that is casual friendly it wont be in its first year thats for sure.

fiz·zle  (fzl)

intr.v. fiz·zled, fiz·zling, fiz·zles
1. To make a hissing or sputtering sound.
2. Informal To fail or end weakly, especially after a hopeful beginning.
n. Informal
A failure; a fiasco.

Kinect Adventures was the 8th best seller of 2012 on a single platform. Even with the sales decline its been going pretty strong. So I'm just making sure you know fizzled doesn't mean great legs.

"How long do you think it will drop to a price that is casual friendly it wont be in its first year thats for sure."

Who knows? But it'll be around for the life of the 720 and its an edge for MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:

fiz·zle  (fzl)

n. Informal
A failure; a fiasco.

Kinect Adventures was the 8th best seller of 2012 on a single platform. Even with the sales decline its been going pretty strong. So I'm just making sure you know fizzled doesn't mean great legs.

"How long do you think it will drop to a price that is casual friendly it wont be in its first year thats for sure."

Fair enough, so the Kinect didnt have great legs? Cause thats what im going with.

Adinnieken said:
Jega said:

With all the next-gen news blitz, I completely forgot about the importance of Kinect.

Here are my top 5 reasons why I think Kinect 2.0 will be the killer App for Xbox 720.

1.Kinect will make even multiplatform games better on Xbox 720.

PS4 camera. Is Sony trying to do some of what Kinect 2.0 will do with this device?

The fact that Sony is attempting to duplicate what Microsoft is doing with Kinect I think shows the importance of Kinect 2 with the Xbox 8.

However, that said.  I think Skype will be the killer app on Xbox 8.  That is until Illumiroom releases.

Why is Skype important?  With Skype, Xbox 8 becomes a communications hub.  I can do all the person-to-person communication I could do before with Xbox 360, but recieving incoming calls with friends.  So let's say I'm in a party chat with a group of friends, and one of our buddies calls.  Wiht Xbox 8 and Skype, my Xbox console can have my Skype number tied to it, so while I'm on the console I can answer.  If that's a phone-to-Skype call, I can just talk without anything but a verbal interaction.  However, if it's Skype-to-Skype call, I can have a window displaying the other party while they see me playing the a game. 

Let's say I'm getting home from school, and I'm talking to someone on Skype via my Windows Phone.  As I walk into the room, I can toss my call to the Xbox 8 with a flick of my finger, because the Xbox 8 is "always on", and sit down, and start talking to the person via the console.  Likewise, if I decide to go to my room, I can toss the call to my Surface tablet and continue the conversation as I walk around the house. 

As well, around Christmas, I can have my family sitting around the TV, and we can talk to my family members around the country.  As someone begins talking, Kinect will move the camera to focus on the person talking, all the while identifying any members of my family that have an account on my console so people know who they are.

That's why I think Skype will be the killer app.

You’re joking right? I mean really?  You do know that Sony has had a camera for years now. Way before Kinect was ever thought of. They showed many of the same demos MS hype during the e3 conference a few years back. It's just an upgraded eye. And skype will do nothing for the xbox or any other console for that matter. Hell it's on the vita now. 

oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:

fiz·zle  (fzl)

n. Informal
A failure; a fiasco.

Fair enough, so the Kinect didnt have great legs? Cause thats what im going with.

Yet it ranks very high in most successful add-ons ever and has strong legs compared to other add-ons.

Well I won't accuse you of unreasonable expectations.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

no hate towards xbox, but kinect and motion controls really bug me i guess i am kinda old school and favor a traditonal controller. I personally think kinect 2.0 as it may be neat will only be used by kids and party gatherings

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA