By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS4 outsell the XBox One and WiiU?

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Foolish question. Since the PS4 is the most powerfull console ever, it has already won.

Most powerful console tends to sell less. See N64, GameCube, PS3, PSP, PS Vita.

Around the Network

Andrespetmonkey said:

ChristianSoldier said:
Also, people seem to be underestimating a First party nintendo game's selling power

Not really. I mean, they're some of the biggest sellers you could ask for, but they aren't miracle workers. Look at Gamecube (22M) or N64 (32M)... both show Nintendo consoles can't sell themselves on Nintendo software alone. I see a similar but slightly better fate for Wii U (which isn't necessarily bad).

The Wii, Ds, and 3DS paint a different picture.

ChristianSoldier said:

The Wii, DS, and 3DS all are/were catering to a much larger market. DS/3DS are Handhelds and Nintendo's Handheld's always do good in almost every aspect. The Wii catered to the Casuals largely. The Wii U is neither a Handheld nor a large Casual Magnet. Not to say that the Wii U won't do well, though.

Playstationfan12 said:
this is premature. sure ps4 has a better line up than wiiu but we know almost nothing about nextbox. it could have more/better games than ps4 and wiiu but we wont find out till may 21.

I doubt they will have more games but I am sure they will have some good new ones now that Microsoft has actually properly put together companies to make games instead of buying companies and gutting them.

ChristianSoldier said:

Andrespetmonkey said:

ChristianSoldier said:
Also, people seem to be underestimating a First party nintendo game's selling power

Not really. I mean, they're some of the biggest sellers you could ask for, but they aren't miracle workers. Look at Gamecube (22M) or N64 (32M)... both show Nintendo consoles can't sell themselves on Nintendo software alone. I see a similar but slightly better fate for Wii U (which isn't necessarily bad).

That is something so strange to me. Nintendo's game have always sold well but never (except the Wii and portables) have been enough to make them outsell the competition. Well, they say that people buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games and that explains it all. Seems like people who buy PS and Xbox does it with different approaches in mind, looking for different types of games that they can't find in Nintendo's systems. The attach rate of Nintendo's systems and games is very good, isn't it.

I think this generation, the one and only mistake Nintendo did was making a console that sells at a loss. They should have gone with a safer route and think in the possibility (which a lot of people seriously considered but not Nintendo themselves it seems) that the WiiU wouldn't ride the popularity wave of the Wii.

A couple of weeks ago I saw another one of those popular TV segments where the hosts talk about the importance of parents caring for the health of their children. You know, those family oriented segments on TV? They showed two scenarios of what is "alright" and "wrong" to do when letting kids play videogames. One had kids playing a system with COD (I think), another one had kids playing the old Wii. The hosts couldn't stop talking about how important is to make kids play those "active and physical" videogames. Nintendo and the WiiU no longer get those moments of free advertizement and rhetoric of parenting righteousness now that Nintendo has made kids sit down once again in order to play.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

i think the PS4 will outsell the nextbox and wiiu combined, alot of people are turned off to the xbox always on glitch, and the Wiiu was a bad idea all together, so total sales PS4 -60Million, Xbox-35 Million, and Wiiu- 30 Million, Microsoft is gonna fail royally with their gamble...

Nope. The reason for the Wii's massive sales is because it appealed to traditionally non-gamers and casual gamers with motion controls and both fitness and family games, which are two demographics the Wii U hasn't proven to appeal to. DS and 3DS aren't home consoles. 

Conegamer said:
goopy20 said:
If all the Xbox rumours are true and it launches at 499 vs a 399 ps4, then it will be 80% Sony and MS/ Nintendo getting the scraps.

80% Sony? That'd be even moreso than the PS2 era. Which isn't going to happen.

Ok 80% is maybe a bit to much :) My point is that if the rumours are true about the Xbox then ps4 will take the dominant space in console land again. Nintendo is already dead in the water and IMO not even competing with the next gen consoles. It's trying to catch up with the current gen and is 6 years late to the party. Graphics aren't everything, but it's a bit of a problem if the Unreal 4 engine (that will probably power 80% of the next gen's big profile games) doesn't even work on the Wii-U. 

MS just got to greedy and thinks they can now sell a $15-a-month subsciption based console, simply because they overestimate the appeal of Xbox live. Is it better then PSN? Maybe, but if it is, then it's a marginal thing. Sony seems to have learned it's lesson and will no doubt launch with a vastly improved, more social online service that remains free. And yes, I am drunk a s a monkey!

I'm not really all too convinced with any of the next gen consoles so far, but it's too early to tell. Until we see what the next Xbox has to offer, what games and features there will be on the PS4, it could either be a huge flop or be the best thing ever.

Wii U 80 mill
Xnext 60 mill
PS3 50 mill