By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That WiiU Is Underpowered And Says This Is A Misunderstanding

DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

Well stated.  I want to see what devs can do with the PS4 and Xbox, but it would be great to see some unique content for nintendo too.

Around the Network

Nintendo's "Now You're Playing With Power" slogans over the years...

NES: Now You're Playing With Power!

GB: Now You're Playing With Power... PORTABLE Power!

SNES: Now You're Playing With Power... SUPER Power!

Wii / Wii U: Now You're Playing With Power... UNDER Power!!!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

g911turbo said:
pezus said:
Why don't Nintendo just put the specs on the table like everyone else does? Be honest and people will judge if the specs are underpowered or not...

Same reason Apple avoids talking specs on their phones and use a bunch of marketing buzz words.  Specs don't really matter to the majority, only the final product does.

Apples (pun intended) to oranges... is the iPhone underpowered compared to its top competition like Android phones?  Is the iPad underpowered compared to other tablets?  Nope and nope.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
g911turbo said:
pezus said:
Why don't Nintendo just put the specs on the table like everyone else does? Be honest and people will judge if the specs are underpowered or not...

Same reason Apple avoids talking specs on their phones and use a bunch of marketing buzz words.  Specs don't really matter to the majority, only the final product does.

Apples (pun intended) to oranges... is the iPhone underpowered compared to its top competition like Android phones?  Is the iPad underpowered compared to other tablets?  Nope and nope.

iPad not so much, I would agree.  Although Nexus 10 is on par / faster ont he CPU side for 100 dollars cheaper (higher resolution screen too I believe).  As for the iPhone 5, the new phones coming out this month win the spec battle by a land slide.  Doesn't matter to Apple or it's fans though, nor should it. 

The point I was trying to make is:  nothing good would come out of Apple trying to fight the "spec" battle.  It would technically expose some of their bigger margins on older technology.  Not faulting them, more power to them, just saying that is why they don't.  Same reason Nintendo will not.  Many people (mainstream) will not view the system as underpowered when browsing through Walmart.  Why should Nintendo put a spotlight on something that will be viewed as inferior???

Trust me, I've been in Semicoductor sales for 10 years.  Sometimes you just need to know when to tout your strenghts and then SHUT YOUR MOUTH.  No need to fight you're competitions battles, they will do it for you.  THAT is why Nintendo will not post the specs.

Grandia said:
tontus said:
DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

The only reason games like the next CoD, NBA & Watch Dogs are coming to the Wii U is because they're coming to the PS360, if they were made for the PS4/Xbox Infinite then you can be sure that they wouldn't come to the Wii U, why would developers sacrifice quality/increase budgets just to release on the Wii U when the sales won't justifiy those efforts? In a few years when multiplatform games aren't being made for the PS360 then they'll also stop coming for the Wii U too.

And expecting and wanting significantly more advanced graphics from next generation consoles is not crazy thinking, it's exactly what the vast majority of people expect and want from new consoles. Also more power can help make the gameplay, load-times, & AI etc, better too. Iwata making a successful Nintendo game isn't going to encourage developers to make games for the Wii U anymore than successful Nintendo games encouraged developers to make their games for the Wii. There is no misunderstanding, developers know that they will make more money developing for PS4, Xbox Infinite & PC without having to sacrifice quality for the underpowered Wii U which wouldn't be worth it anyway as only Nintendo exclusives sell well on Nintendo consoles.

There is no big leap in graphics this time, games on PS4 will not look significantly better than on PS 3 or WiiU. There is no possibility for much better looking games, look at games like Uncharted 3 or Gears of War 3 it looks almsot as good as the reality it is not that far away from photo-realistic. How you want to make games that look better than the reality?

All games which will come out for the next generation consoles will be possible with only minor downgrades on the wii u too, the only question is if developers will see enaugh potential to sell games on the wiiu. It has to pay of for them to releas downports for wiiu.

Oh wow you really believe what you are saying?  + power is also important.

Around the Network
Grandia said:

Sometimes Iwata is really such a moron, shut up talking Iwata just pay 3rd developers to make games for wiiu or give them other benefits to work with you, microsoft and sony built up 3rd relations the same way at first.

Nintendo really thinks 3rd developers should make games for them because they are such nice guys, this is business no one cares how much power the wiiu has it has definetly enaugh to make great games so just give the damn 3rd developers the same benefits Sony and Ms gave them, then they will start to make games for your consoles.

trust me they know how to do business.... and whatever they talk about in the office stay in the office...

NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo's "Now You're Playing With Power" slogans over the years...

NES: Now You're Playing With Power!

GB: Now You're Playing With Power... PORTABLE Power!

SNES: Now You're Playing With Power... SUPER Power!

Wii / Wii U: Now You're Playing With Power... UNDER Power!!!

i LOLed at this

Well it has "power". Current gen power..

The Wii U is clearly underpowered for the next generation. It literally doesn't have enough power to run full next generation engines = an underpowered next generation system. If they doubled the RAM (4GB), quadrupled the RAM's transfer rate, & doubled the CPU Core count it would be flying off the shelves since it would be clearly better then last generation & it would show in the games.
The gamepad is a huge mistake in my opinion, they would have been smart to offer a bundle with the Wiimote+ & a Pro Controller & put the money saved on the pad into making the Wii U's specs next generation ready like engine makers Epic and others pleaded for them to do.

chris_wing said:
The Wii U is clearly underpowered for the next generation. It literally doesn't have enough power to run full next generation engines = an underpowered next generation system. If they doubled the RAM (4GB), quadrupled the RAM's transfer rate, & doubled the CPU Core count it would be flying off the shelves since it would be clearly better then last generation & it would show in the games.
The gamepad is a huge mistake in my opinion, they would have been smart to offer a bundle with the Wiimote+ & a Pro Controller & put the money saved on the pad into making the Wii U's specs next generation ready like engine makers Epic and others pleaded for them to do.

Its obvious the PS4 is going to be more powerfull than the Wii U.  However, to say it could not run next gen engines is incorrect.  Developers are refusing to PORT their next gen engines is the more correct statement.  Right now, due to the lower than expected installed base and history of poor 3rd party sales on a nintendo console, it doesn't make financial sense for them to do so. 

I could use UE4 to render 10 polygons on screen.  It's scalable.  Engine revs are usually dependent on built in hardblocks/functions that come with chip architecture revs.  That being said, the Wii U is a newer architecture that has many of those built in mechanisms, just less of them and not as fast as Sony and MS.