By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That WiiU Is Underpowered And Says This Is A Misunderstanding

DanneSandin said:

What a fucking liar!!!! It IS underpowered. Just compare it to the PS4... Get real Iwata!

It's not a powerhouse console but it's already out and Nintendo has shorter lifecycles. Sony needs to come out with super powerfull machines that will be able to support the games of 8 years from now.   It's not like last gen where you literally couldn't port games down to wii. The Wiiu can hang in there at 720p 30 fps for at least 3 or 4 years. After that time period we are getting close to Nintendo's next gen system which will be more powerfull than ps4.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
When will people finally get some education ?

Underpowered = not powerful enough to do what it was supposed to do.

A bike is not underpowered compared to a car since both can do what they are supposed to do.

My notebook power supply is underpowered. It is supposed to handle around 100watts but it can just deliver 90watts and therefore my Core i3 is down clocked when both GPU and CPU reach 100% load and sometimes I have like 1 FPS for 1 second even tho the games usually have 50. THATS underpowered.

If you "believe" (this has nothing to do with thinking!) that something is not good enough for you then dont buy it. It wont magically become better just because you whine about it it can not LEARN because its a thing. Spam mail devs etc before devices come out and not after it happened.

Get over it.

Ya a bike isn't underpowered to a car since they belong in different modes of transportation. That doesn't apply to the wii u though. It belongs in the same next gen category as other consoles so it lacks sufficient power compared to the others. It isn't powerful enough to runs games at the same level to the Xbox infinite/ps4 which is what it is supposed to do by the industry standard.

richardhutnik said:
Lafiel said:
well, I think it should be able to do above PS360 graphics at 720p60 and with some AA, which is probably the graphical sweetspot for many people

the games won't be ridiculously detailed (compared to PC/PS4/720) and probably miss fancy but very costly effects like global illumination or tesselation, but with the right style the games can still look fantastic

If games get coded to use those features across the PC, PS4 and next Microsoft console, then it is going to have to be critical that the Wii U sell for them to add a fourth version built from the ground up, for it.

yea, it's a problem if devs have to create new assets/use a different engine to run the game on the WiiU

Wow, another thread where the whole conversation is about a misquote. He didn't say it's not underpowered. He said it's not SIGNIFICANTLY underpowered. Big difference. Iwata should just stop talking since no one reads what he says anyway.

tontus said:
DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

The only reason games like the next CoD, NBA & Watch Dogs are coming to the Wii U is because they're coming to the PS360, if they were made for the PS4/Xbox Infinite then you can be sure that they wouldn't come to the Wii U, why would developers sacrifice quality/increase budgets just to release on the Wii U when the sales won't justifiy those efforts? In a few years when multiplatform games aren't being made for the PS360 then they'll also stop coming for the Wii U too.

And expecting and wanting significantly more advanced graphics from next generation consoles is not crazy thinking, it's exactly what the vast majority of people expect and want from new consoles. Also more power can help make the gameplay, load-times, & AI etc, better too. Iwata making a successful Nintendo game isn't going to encourage developers to make games for the Wii U anymore than successful Nintendo games encouraged developers to make their games for the Wii. There is no misunderstanding, developers know that they will make more money developing for PS4, Xbox Infinite & PC without having to sacrifice quality for the underpowered Wii U which wouldn't be worth it anyway as only Nintendo exclusives sell well on Nintendo consoles.

Your 1st para: But that’s exactly the point Iwata is making, i.e. that you can keep making your CoD, NBA, Watch Dogs, AC, Destiny, Bayonetta, etc, etc games on the WiiU. Therefore, no need for increased budgets and there will be no loss quality, in fact, developing on the WiiU will improve on game quality. If first parties want to go spending millions just to develop a game then fine, because they got Sony and MS’s money to back them up, but 3rrd parties, most of them can’t take that risk.  I’m sure you notice how many 3rd parties are closing shop because of high development cost and low returns. This is the idea of the WiiU not being underpowered that Nintendo is selling.

Your 2nd para: People might want better graphics, but not everyone can afford better graphics. Gamers are a bunch of greedy bastards that always want the news and best games and tech for absolutely nothing and they then want to trade-in their games at a significant lots to developers. The whole system of gaming is broken and rising development cost on new expensive hardware is not helping. Making successful 3rd parties games on the WiiU will encourage more 3rd parties that they don’t have to venture into spending shit loads on new graphic engines when the ones they are using right now work just fine and can now be optimize because of the console hardware. It is just a different and more economical and efficient way of thinking. The Epic, Cryteck, Sony, MS, etc way of thinking is toxic and beneficial to only a small few. This is what Nintendo and Iwata is trying to get 3rd parties to understand. This not the PC market, this is the console market, and developers need to understand that.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network

We dont know what Wii U is capable of as we havent seen a game thats not a rushed launch title and been built from the ground up squeezing every last drop of power from the system. Until we see such game, nobody knows what the system is capable of. Yes it wont be a powerful as PS4, but that doesnt mean devs cant put out jaw dropping graphics on it.

ITT: People who already hated Nintendo disbelieve a quote from a credible source because it doesn't support their opinions.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I find this quote a lot more interesting. "We will make 3rd parties regret...blah blah".

Wonder if he's pissed now.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I think after Feb. 20th very few people are going to believe this now.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

tontus said:
DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

The only reason games like the next CoD, NBA & Watch Dogs are coming to the Wii U is because they're coming to the PS360, if they were made for the PS4/Xbox Infinite then you can be sure that they wouldn't come to the Wii U, why would developers sacrifice quality/increase budgets just to release on the Wii U when the sales won't justifiy those efforts? In a few years when multiplatform games aren't being made for the PS360 then they'll also stop coming for the Wii U too.

And expecting and wanting significantly more advanced graphics from next generation consoles is not crazy thinking, it's exactly what the vast majority of people expect and want from new consoles. Also more power can help make the gameplay, load-times, & AI etc, better too. Iwata making a successful Nintendo game isn't going to encourage developers to make games for the Wii U anymore than successful Nintendo games encouraged developers to make their games for the Wii. There is no misunderstanding, developers know that they will make more money developing for PS4, Xbox Infinite & PC without having to sacrifice quality for the underpowered Wii U which wouldn't be worth it anyway as only Nintendo exclusives sell well on Nintendo consoles.

There is no big leap in graphics this time, games on PS4 will not look significantly better than on PS 3 or WiiU. There is no possibility for much better looking games, look at games like Uncharted 3 or Gears of War 3 it looks almsot as good as the reality it is not that far away from photo-realistic. How you want to make games that look better than the reality?

All games which will come out for the next generation consoles will be possible with only minor downgrades on the wii u too, the only question is if developers will see enaugh potential to sell games on the wiiu. It has to pay of for them to releas downports for wiiu.