By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That WiiU Is Underpowered And Says This Is A Misunderstanding

DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

The only reason games like the next CoD, NBA & Watch Dogs are coming to the Wii U is because they're coming to the PS360, if they were made for the PS4/Xbox Infinite then you can be sure that they wouldn't come to the Wii U, why would developers sacrifice quality/increase budgets just to release on the Wii U when the sales won't justifiy those efforts? In a few years when multiplatform games aren't being made for the PS360 then they'll also stop coming for the Wii U too.

And expecting and wanting significantly more advanced graphics from next generation consoles is not crazy thinking, it's exactly what the vast majority of people expect and want from new consoles. Also more power can help make the gameplay, load-times, & AI etc, better too. Iwata making a successful Nintendo game isn't going to encourage developers to make games for the Wii U anymore than successful Nintendo games encouraged developers to make their games for the Wii. There is no misunderstanding, developers know that they will make more money developing for PS4, Xbox Infinite & PC without having to sacrifice quality for the underpowered Wii U which wouldn't be worth it anyway as only Nintendo exclusives sell well on Nintendo consoles.

Around the Network

according to that kind of logic the DS was not underpowered
the Wii was not underpowered
and the 3ds isn't.

I think Iwata should not try to tell developer wether a system is underpowered or not.there is a reason why nintendo is not releasing exact specs.

When will people finally get some education ?

Underpowered = not powerful enough to do what it was supposed to do.

A bike is not underpowered compared to a car since both can do what they are supposed to do.

My notebook power supply is underpowered. It is supposed to handle around 100watts but it can just deliver 90watts and therefore my Core i3 is down clocked when both GPU and CPU reach 100% load and sometimes I have like 1 FPS for 1 second even tho the games usually have 50. THATS underpowered.

If you "believe" (this has nothing to do with thinking!) that something is not good enough for you then dont buy it. It wont magically become better just because you whine about it it can not LEARN because its a thing. Spam mail devs etc before devices come out and not after it happened.

Get over it.

echoesfromthepast said:
The real strategy is to release a lot of top quality first party games - these will move console sales enough to get third parties interested. This is how the DS became the highest selling system to date

but this is not enough, nintendo and/or third parties have to do a great marketing campaing for the games they release. for example: the world ends with you, best game for the ds and look at the sales, or GTA chinatown wars, great franchise, excellent reviews and look at the sales. third parties expect that having a 150m install base will make games fly off the shelf.

All will soon be known in time.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
well, I think it should be able to do above PS360 graphics at 720p60 and with some AA, which is probably the graphical sweetspot for many people

the games won't be ridiculously detailed (compared to PC/PS4/720) and probably miss fancy but very costly effects like global illumination or tesselation, but with the right style the games can still look fantastic

If games get coded to use those features across the PC, PS4 and next Microsoft console, then it is going to have to be critical that the Wii U sell for them to add a fourth version built from the ground up, for it.

Pachofilauri said:
echoesfromthepast said:
The real strategy is to release a lot of top quality first party games - these will move console sales enough to get third parties interested. This is how the DS became the highest selling system to date

but this is not enough, nintendo and/or third parties have to do a great marketing campaing for the games they release. for example: the world ends with you, best game for the ds and look at the sales, or GTA chinatown wars, great franchise, excellent reviews and look at the sales. third parties expect that having a 150m install base will make games fly off the shelf.

Good point actually - I agree with you. The marketing for the latest Fire Emblem was done well and it shows. Meanwhile, TWEWY (one of my favourite games of all time) had mediocre sales because of marketing.

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

echoesfromthepast said:
Pachofilauri said:
echoesfromthepast said:

Good point actually - I agree with you. The marketing for the latest Fire Emblem was done well and it shows. Meanwhile, TWEWY (one of my favourite games of all time) had mediocre sales because of marketing.

I had TWEWY, and ended up trading it in.  So, exactly what is in TWEWY that would cause it to end up really selling well, even if marketing, and that it isn't somehow just a niche game that appeals to a niche audience?

richardhutnik said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Pachofilauri said:
echoesfromthepast said:

I had TWEWY, and ended up trading it in.  So, exactly what is in TWEWY that would cause it to end up really selling well, even if marketing, and that it isn't somehow just a niche game that appeals to a niche audience?

Idk - it was a fresh new jrpg with innovative new gameplay, excellent humor, and an amazing story (And that new game+ !! simply breathtaking) - all my friends I've shown it to loved it so I just assume if it was better known it would sell well

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

gigantor21 said:
DaRev said:
pezus said:
He fails to mention the consoles that most people WiiU is underpowered compared to. WiiU being underpowered compared to PS4 and most likely Nextbox isn't a misunderstanding, it's fact.

Iwata doesn't fail to do anything, because what he's saying is that you can develop games on the WiiU (yeah it's that simple). He is not comparing the WiiU to any other console - you might want or expect him to to that, but he is not. For example, NBA 2K 14 will come out eventually for all consooles, including the WiiU, so the console is not underpowered. Similarly, the next Modern Warfare and other 3rd party games (Watch Dogs) should be on the WiiU as well, so the console is not underpowered.

What I think Iwata is saying as well is that there is this a seed of crazy thinking being cultivated by people like Epic and Sony and MS, that games have to look a certain way to be a game - this is the misunderstanding Iwata is talking about. I assume the way he plans to change this misundertsnading to make sucessful games on the WiiU (from the second half 2013), and once developers see that their games can sell well on WiiU, regardless of how they look, they will understand that the WiiU is not underpowered.

But that's just it, though. The Wii is proof positive that a console that IS clearly underpowered can still do incredibly well--that had stuff like Call of Duty and most sports games, too, but it was still clearly a weaker (and ultimately more succesful) device. Games selling well on a console and said console not being as powerful as the others are two different things. I really don't think the latter is an argument worth pursuing for Nintendo.

And of course the power comparison is with other consoles. Otherwise my first cellphone which didn't even have a color screen still isn't underpowered either. I played the hell out of Snake and Tetris on that. :p

I think it is an excellent argument for Nintendo to put forward, and certianly just as good as any argument it had that made the Wii successful. Nintendo needs to sell the idea or the UNDERSTANDING that you don't need to make games that look like an UE 4 tech demo for your games to be successful. This idea or UNDERSTANDING is well received in the handheld market, i.e. you don't need your handheld games to look like your console games to be successful.

Nintendo needs to sell this UNDERSTANDING to 3rd parties that the WiiU actually maximises their game in how they look feel and play, without breaking the bank. Developers like Epic and Cryteck might be void this kind of understanding, obviously, but I think if Nintendo does a good job they can get other 3rd parties to understand the WiiU is not underpowered.

By the way, is the 3DS underpowered?

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.