By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kynan Pearson(Former Retro Studios Dev, Currently 343) Interview

Tagged games:

Pretty good interview, guy worked on Prime 2, Prime 3, DKCR, and Halo 4, oh and Wii>3DS confirmed! :P

"NC: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is supposedly going to run at 30 FPS, whereas the original version ran at 60 FPS. A staple in Retro’s games is their framerate; do you think this will have an effect on the overall game?

·Kynan: Without having played the game on the 3DS I can’t really say for sure. I will say that DKCR pushed the Wii hardware so I’m very impressed with the fact that Monster Games was even able to do a port that looks as close to the original. I look forward to playing it."

Read more here!

https://nintychronicle.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/nc-interview-with-kynan-pearson/

Around the Network

First thoguht: Huh. Another former Retro guy who has worked on Halo 4. The comparisons to Metroid Prime are becoming increasingly understandable.

Final thought: I wonder if DKCR3D could be 60 FPS if there was an option to turn 3D off altogether. Like Super Street Fighter IV...

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I'd be interested in what aspects of DKCR pushed the Wii hardware.

F0X said:
First thoguht: Huh. Another former Retro guy who has worked on Halo 4. The comparisons to Metroid Prime are becoming increasingly understandable.

Final thought: I wonder if DKCR3D could be 60 FPS if there was an option to turn 3D off altogether. Like Super Street Fighter IV...

Super Street Fighter 4 plays at 60 fps with the 3D ON, besides a few drops once in a while on firmware 1.0.0-0.

But I now got 5.1.0-11, which even Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed runs at 60 fps with the 3D ON when it only does up to 20 to 30 fps with the 3D ON on firmware 1.0.0-0.

Only NeoGaf claims it runs at 30 fps.

But they base that on a YouTube video.

YouTube only streams their 2D videos at 30 fps locked.

The game is a side scroller, so I would say 60 fps with the 3D ON on firmware 1.0.0-0.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed has the worse frame rate with 3D ON & OFF with a lot of lags more then any other 3DS game ever made, but with Firmware 5.0.0-11 even this game runs at 60 fps with the 3D ON with NO lags.

And Donkey Kong Country Returns must have been a 4th or 5th year Wii game, but the 3DS version is a 2nd year 3DS game.

So this speaks to the 3DS comparison.

Here's a video comparing a 1st year 3DS game to a 5th year Wii game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aVETRohXnrg

Around the Network
Kaizar said:

The game is a side scroller, so I would say 60 fps with the 3D ON on firmware 1.0.0-0.

People tend to have this funny idea that because a game has 2D gameplay, it automatically can't be pushing modern systems. 

2D games can still be technically demanding. (Trine 2, for example)

DKCR may be 2D in gameplay but a lot of its assets are 3D models.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

People tend to have this funny idea that because a game has 2D gameplay, it automatically can't be pushing modern systems. 

I forgot about Trine 2 & Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate.

I can't wait to get Castlevania 3DS after every different review I have read of it.

But I think my next game will be Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure follow by Project X Zone follow by DKCR3D.

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

I can't wait to get Castlevania 3DS after every different review I have read of it.

But I think my next game will be Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure follow by Project X Zone follow by DKCR3D.

I highly recommend DKCR, it's an amazing game, one of the best 2D platformers since the SNES.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

I highly recommend DKCR, it's an amazing game, one of the best 2D platformers since the SNES.

Well, I plan on getting RT&tET this month and then Project X Zone probably comes out earlier in May, and then I know DKCR comes out on May 24, but I might get DKCR as late as June 1 to 3.

curl-6 said:
I'd be interested in what aspects of DKCR pushed the Wii hardware.

I don't know, but I think it did reach near-Galaxy levels of cleanliness.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero