By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NatGeo's "The Evolution of Video Games" The 80's: The Decade that Made US

What a strangely awful list. Halo instead of Doom. Kinect instead of Wii (or indeed, EyeToy, since their bullet point was named "Control without a controller").

PS2, best selling home console of all time, relegated to a tiny bullet point and DS, best selling handheld console of all time, not even mentioned.

Around the Network

This list seems a bit biased. Ah well, National Geographic is American, and we have American statistics.

I think handhelds deserve more representation, I mean no Pokemon?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

No mention of Playstation (1) or any of the 16 bit consoles? There are some more trivial things but overall kind of a meh timeline.

wow so motion gaming by the Wii was less of an event than Kinect?

Starcraft has to be here, it caused a revolution, but really can't see the reason for Halo to enter this list. The 3 points justifying this selection really can't convince me either.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
This list seems a bit biased. Ah well, National Geographic is American, and we have American statistics.

I think handhelds deserve more representation, I mean no Pokemon?

Well I can see where the Kinect love comes from

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kinect-Nat-Geo-TV-DVD/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5309cd

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

kain_kusanagi said:
What's wrong with you people?

"My favorite game isn't on the list so the list sucks ass and I hate it. It also has a game I'm not personally a fan of so it must have been paid for by my favorite company's rival."

That's what you sound like.

Come on people. This timeline is too small to have all your favorite stuff on it. It's just a brief look at where we came from and how we got to today.

what's wrong with you! No Zelda, Pokemon, GTA, PlayStation 1, Game Boy, NDS etc Hell no! Halo is really good. I love it, but GoldenEye was SO MORE important for FPS. 

Click HERE and be happy 

Everything on that list deserves to be on it; I have more of an issue with what's NOT on the list.

What No Atari 2600!

Seriously, I think Halo and Kinect both deserve to be on the list - perhaps the Wiimote too, but I can't figure out why Kinect is lumped with 2004.   The console it runs on came out in 2005, and it in 2010.  I don't get the 04 connection.

And I don't get Angry Birds. Yes, it sold well, but was just an average flash game that caught on - and I don't see many things following it.

And no Sims/Simulation on there?

Still it's a fun list, can't make everyone happy.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

kain_kusanagi said:

Seems like nobody can look at a truncated timeline of gaming without complaining that their favorite games aren't on it.

If this had every semi-important minor development in gaming it would take years to compile and be longer than anyone would ever want to read.

but the Wii, gameboy and PS1 should be mentioned. im not saying this because they are my favorite or anything, but because all these consoles had a HUGE impact on gaming. its really impossible to say which one had the biggest impact actually