By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NatGeo's "The Evolution of Video Games" The 80's: The Decade that Made US

kain_kusanagi said:
What's wrong with you people?

"My favorite game isn't on the list so the list sucks ass and I hate it. It also has a game I'm not personally a fan of so it must have been paid for by my favorite company's rival."

That's what you sound like.

Come on people. This timeline is too small to have all your favorite stuff on it. It's just a brief look at where we came from and how we got to today.

It's because it's a bad job. The list puts a greater focus on what is hip now instead of what had the greatest influence. Kinect and Halo are on the list because in today's market they are the cool things. Any logical person would know the Wii deserves a mention more than Kinect yet today Wii is "lame" so it's excluded. To a lesser extent this applies to Halo. The fourth game just came out so it's pretty hip. However many games before it were more important to the FPS genre. It can be credited with being an amazing game but other FPSs deserve the spot way more. Heck Call of Duty deserves the spot more just based off its sales.

Around the Network

Proudly sponsored by Microsoft.

There's tons missing but summing up all of in one timeline would make this picture longer than longcat.

Signature goes here!

starcraft basically made the Professional gaming scene. it also sold in stores shelves for over a decade, heck i could probably go out and still find new copies in stores. I dont know a single other gmame that has done that

RolStoppable said:
Halo sold more than any other console FPS before it, so it deserves to be on this list.

And less than many games after it, even in the same genre. No, it really doesn't, it's just one game of many. If any FPS game deserves this place, it should be Golden Eye, since it was revolutionary. Halo is not bigger or more important than CoD4: Modern Warfare.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

I think you have a problem kain.  I use to get annoyed by it, then upset with you, but I think you suffer from some deep delusion.  It's fine to like a game, but it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is.  

List is fail because it does not mention handhelds or Sega and barely mentions Sony.

Halo? Angry Birds? Kinect? Ok...How about...Eyetoy? Goldeneye? Doom? Tetris? The Gameboy? Guitar hero? DDR? All games or hardware that either launched a new idea or had a large impact on the industry during it's time.

More a list of "things people like to talk about: video game edition" rather than an evolution list.

Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:

I think you have a problem kain.  I use to get annoyed by it, then upset with you, but I think you suffer from some deep delusion.  It's fine to like a game, but it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is.  

There are many like us who have noticed.

OT: This time-line is very meh.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:

You get annoyed that someone openly enjoys one of the best game series of all time that is one of the most popular franchises of all time as well as one of the best selling?

If you don't like it, that's fine, but what I don't like is the disrespect it gets. There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't disrespect them or those who play them. I'll say what I like and don't like and defend my opinion, but I'd never say anyone was wrong for liking what they like. Especially if I'm in the minority like those who dislike Halo.

But none of that is why I was aggravated with people's responses to this timeline. All it's getting is "My fav game isn't on it so it fails". It's not a book on the history of video games, it's a short overview.