By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NatGeo's "The Evolution of Video Games" The 80's: The Decade that Made US

This is such a badly made bare bone list that is missing so many more things that were more important to the industry.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:
What's wrong with you people?

I think you have a problem kain.  I use to get annoyed by it, then upset with you, but I think you suffer from some deep delusion.  It's fine to like a game, but it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is.  

You get annoyed that someone openly enjoys one of the best game series of all time that is one of the most popular franchises of all time as well as one of the best selling?

If you don't like it, that's fine, but what I don't like is the disrespect it gets. There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't disrespect them or those who play them. I'll say what I like and don't like and defend my opinion, but I'd never say anyone was wrong for liking what they like. Especially if I'm in the minority like those who dislike Halo.

But none of that is why I was aggravated with people's responses to this timeline. All it's getting is "My fav game isn't on it so it fails". It's not a book on the history of video games, it's a short overview.

You don't even see it, do you? No, I got (key here, past tense) annoyed when you would shoe horn any mention of your game, even in barely related conversations.  The fact that you cannot help yourself but gush on and on about it and get so defensive about any criticism.  I worried man, seriously. I say it is not the greatest thing ever and you jump to defend it against some straw man.   You act like this is your only child or something and I think you have some sort of deep seeded issue. Calm down kain, it is, in the end, just a game.

Scisca said:
RolStoppable said:
Halo sold more than any other console FPS before it, so it deserves to be on this list.

And less than many games after it, even in the same genre. No, it really doesn't, it's just one game of many. If any FPS game deserves this place, it should be Golden Eye, since it was revolutionary. Halo is not bigger or more important than CoD4: Modern Warfare.

Goldeneye has sold more than Halo (vgc numbers). I think that was Rol's point. 

And as many have said.. really awful timeline.. 

kain_kusanagi said:. All it's getting is "My fav game isn't on it so it fails". It's not a book on the history of video games, it's a short overview.

It doesn't fail "because my favourite game isn't on it", it fails because it touts Kinect as some massive shift while ignoring much bigger landmarks like the PS1, the Wiimote, and the Atari 2600, and it mentions only the 360 out of the 7th gen despite it not being the market leader or the most historically significant.

kain_kusanagi said:
But none of that is why I was aggravated with people's responses to this timeline. All it's getting is "My fav game isn't on it so it fails". It's not a book on the history of video games, it's a short overview.

short overview from Microsoft btw. Even you should able to see that

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:
What's wrong with you people?

I think you have a problem kain.  I use to get annoyed by it, then upset with you, but I think you suffer from some deep delusion.  It's fine to like a game, but it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is.  

You get annoyed that someone openly enjoys one of the best game series of all time that is one of the most popular franchises of all time as well as one of the best selling?

If you don't like it, that's fine, but what I don't like is the disrespect it gets. There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't disrespect them or those who play them. I'll say what I like and don't like and defend my opinion, but I'd never say anyone was wrong for liking what they like. Especially if I'm in the minority like those who dislike Halo.

You don't even see it, do you? No, I got (key here, past tense) annoyed when you would shoe horn any mention of your game, even in barely related conversations.  The fact that you cannot help yourself but gush on and on about it and get so defensive about any criticism.  I worried man, seriously. I say it is not the greatest thing ever and you jump to defend it against some straw man.   You act like this is your only child or something and I think you have some sort of deep seeded issue. Calm down kain, it is, in the end, just a game.

I have apsolutely no problem with anyone who critisizes any game I enjoy so long as they do it from an opinion bases. What I don't like is when people claim a game is garbage, it's positive reviews are bias or paid off, and considers those who do like it to have bad taste in games. That's when I get defensive. But that has more to do with people who think their opinion is worth more than other people's. Most of the time I just state why I like it and move on. I don't derail conversations, but I do respond when I disagree, just like anyone does. I did the same thing in regard to Mass Effect 3's ending.

"...it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is. "

That's your opinion. Mine is the opposite. I hate to break this to you, but your opinion has no more value than mine or anyone elses.

"You act like this is your only child or something and I think you have some sort of deep seeded issue. Calm down kain, it is, in the end, just a game."

You must be reading more into my words if you think I need to calm down. I assure you I am calm, but I am serious about this. You're the one claiming I'm delusional and have deep seeded issues. Those are personal attacks. I don't appreaciate that and it's against forum rules as well.

EricFabian said:
kain_kusanagi said:

WTF is that supposed to mean?

You're looking at this all wrong. It's not a list of top video game stuff. It's a timeline. It just illustrates how things have changed over time. It's about where it started and how far it's come. MS has 2 entries plus 1 seperate shared bullet point on a timeline with 23 main entries and 47 bullet points. That's a total of 10 MS mentions out for 70 possible. That comes to 14%. This timeline is 14% MS which is clearly not overwelmingly bias. If I made the timeline it probably would have more Sony and it would deffinitly have more Nintendo, Sega, and Atari. But like I said it's not a list of best gaming stuff. It's a timeline to illustrate an evolution.

kain_kusanagi said:

I have apsolutely no problem with anyone who critisizes any game I enjoy so long as they do it from an opinion bases. What I don't like is when people claim a game is garbage, it's positive reviews are bias or paid off, and considers those who do like it to have bad taste in games. That's when I get defensive. But that has more to do with people who think their opinion is worth more than other people's. Most of the time I just state why I like it and move on. I don't derail conversations, but I do respond when I disagree, just like anyone does. I did the same thing in regard to Mass Effect 3's ending.

"...it is not the jewel encrusted golden gift from the treasure vaults of Xerxes you seem obsessed with convincing everyone it is. "

That's your opinion. Mine is the opposite. I hate to break this to you, but your opinion has no more value than mine or anyone elses.

"You act like this is your only child or something and I think you have some sort of deep seeded issue. Calm down kain, it is, in the end, just a game."

You must be reading more into my words if you think I need to calm down. I assure you I am calm, but I am serious about this. You're the one claiming I'm delusional and have deep seeded issues. Those are personal attacks. I don't appreaciate that and it's against forum rules as well.

Wow.  This is worse than I ever imagined.  Look, kain, this is clearly something deeply personal to you.  I am not going to argue with you, okay?  I'm not your enemy or someone trying to hurt you.  I am just going to suggest you look into counseling, and that's not an attack kain, many good people have and it can be very helpful.  I sincerely wish you all the best in life.

kain_kusanagi said:
EricFabian said:
kain_kusanagi said:

WTF is that supposed to mean?

You're looking at this all wrong. It's not a list of top video game stuff. It's a timeline. It just illustrates how things have changed over time. It's about where it started and how far it's come. MS has 2 entries plus 1 seperate shared bullet point on a timeline with 23 main entries and 47 bullet points. That's a total of 10 MS metions out for 70 possible. That comes to 14%. This timeline is 14% MS which is clearly not overwelmingly bias. If I made the timeline it probably would have more Sony and it would deffinitly have more Nintendo, Sega, and Atari. But like I said it's not a list of best gaming stuff. It's a timeline to illustrate an evolution.

ok.

Click HERE and be happy 

Augen said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Wow.  This is worse than I ever imagined.  Look, kain, this is clearly something deeply personal to you.  I am not going to argue with you, okay?  I'm not your enemy or someone trying to hurt you.  I am just going to suggest you look into counseling, and that's not an attack kain, many good people have and it can be very helpful.  I sincerely wish you all the best in life.

Good grief.