By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it just me, or are the Holidays actually going to be Decent for the Wii U?

spurgeonryan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spurgeonryan said:
I keep coming to this thread expecting to see something big. But I re-read the OP. Unless Smash Bros comes, there is not big Christmas. Mario will help a bit, but not much more.

There has to be a super hyped game to push it where it needs to go. Mario is not what they need right now. Unless they have been working on a new 3D one for over a year. No rushed stuff! Mario Galaxy 3 could be alright. But they really need to bring it like they did on the Wii.
GTA 5 would sell much better if Nintendo put out some really big games this Christmas. Wind Waker remake does not count. It will do well, but is not what many want. Just forum Nintendo gamers.

I hope E3 shows us something.

Can't wait for E3.

To be honest, as we have seen the last few years, E3 is more for people who are not on gaming sites every day. So I really think they will show a lot, because as of right now Casual gamers and everyone else knows little about the Wii U and have little hype for it.

So I really do think it will be big this year.

I dunno about that. E3 is mostly viewed by internet goers. The Wii U wont appeal to casual gamers because they already have tablets. Nintendo gave them something different with the Wii and ran with it, now its something totally different that is expected and hasn't set itself apart from current gen consoles. Hopefully at E3 Nintendo rises to the occasion, because we know Microsoft and Sony are going to bring it and Sonys positive buzz is huge right now.

Around the Network
BossPuma said:
bananaking21 said:
BossPuma said:
Weedlab said:
GTA5 was rumored for Wii U?

Reggie said there was a good chance GTA 5 is coming to the Wii U despite what R* said

so let me get this straight, nintendo's boss, who straight out lied about a 3rd party game being superior on his platform before, is saying there is a good chance that a franchise that hasnt been on their consoles for generations will be on their new platform when the developers of said franchise said themselfs that there isnt a port. yeah seems legit.

It doesnt hurt to be opimistic.

it sure doesnt. but i wouldnt get your hopes up. though hopefully we are in for a nice surprise 

Rafux said:

*Wind Waker HD Remake

*Rayman Legends Multiplatfrom

*Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplatfrom

*Assassin's Creed 4 Multiplatfrom on next gen with better graphics

*Watch Dogs Multiplatfrom on next gen with better graphics

*Skylanders 3 Multiplatfrom but will perform better on Wii and WiiU

---------------------
 *3D Mario High chance

*Mario Kart 8 High chance

*Super Smash Bros 4 Low chance

*Bayonetta 2 Low chance

*X Low chance

*Shin megami Tensei X Fire Emblem Low chance

*Call of Duty 10 High chance will perform better on PS3/4 - 360/720

*Yarn Yoshi High chance

*Grand Theft Auto 5 Low chance

*Retro's Secret Project ?

I would say that X has a higher chance of coming out than Yarn Yoshi honestly....at least in Japan. That trailer at least had a HUD, online (most likely), gameplay and so forth while Yarn Yoshi looked very, VERY early...amost proof of concept type stuff. Retro's game was supposedly ready to show (probably at least a trailer) last year at E3, but was pulled because Nintendo. Retro hasn't really done anything since DCKR as just a small team helped with Mario Kart 7 so I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least a medium chance of showing up this year.

The "Multiplatform on Next-Gen with better graphics"....Wii U has the gameplay advantage/off-tv/earlier release than those versions (unless Watch Dogs is in mid-late Nov.), is on a cheaper system, and will look better than the 360/PS3 versions it will directly compete with. It also doesn't matter because it is a game for the system....the argument could be made that the PS4/720 versions won't sell as well because people can just get them on the system they already own.

As for GTAV, idk. As much as I would love it to come to the Wii U...I really don't want to get my hopes up. R* did put Chinatown Wars on the DS, and Manhunt 2 on the Wii, AND GTAV was mysteriously delayed ~6 months....usually polish type delays only push the game back 3 or 4 months, so really it is all up in the air. With Manhunt, Nintendo likely showed them the motion controls and asked for a mature game, R* thought the kills in Manhunt would be sweet using that and so they brought it. For GTAV, they could have showed off Pikmin 3 since you can switch between 3 characters at any given time, just like in GTAV.

And about Reggie's quote on CoD. He said it was more graphically intensive, which I believe is actually true. The PS3/360 versions run in Sub-HD and are upscaled, while the Wii U version runs at 720p natively. That would also account for the other issues such as the framerate drops, since the architecture is quite different and Activision did a mostly lazy port. Actually given adequate time developing with the Wii U SDK, the Wii U version will look, run, and play better than the 360/PS3 version.

In all honesty, 1080p vs 720p is almost negligible if you sit far enough away from the TV (50"tv requires a viewing distance of 8 feet or closer to even notice 1080p, with perfect eyesight) . The main difference visually between PS4/720/Wii U will be frill effects, while noticeable.....most people (not us) will be like, "Wait, what? Oh....okay...yeah that's cool." It's possible that the Wii U versions will run at 60fps since the resolution will be lower and those effects will be toned down.

OT: I for one am excited for the entire year on the Wii U mostly because W101 and the VC. I think that WWHD will come out in September, Mario in October, Mario Kart in November and Retro's game in December just in time for the holidays. Smash Bros will likely come out next year sometime....Nintendo does need to save something after all and we are only getting a trailer at E3. Iwata also talked about "efforts from [our] third party publishers on Wii U" which stricly means none of the collaborations, nothing from Platinum or TT or anything published by Nintendo. So far we know of Watch Dogs, ACIV, Batman and Rayman (which was delayed AFTER the comment, so I doubt he was talking about that). E3 is going to be fun for sure.

It will definitely be a strong winter provided you a ninty fan. Windwaker and MArio kart will provie the commercial push and allow it to reach out casuals. Most of the rumoured titles will be coming out in the first half of 2014 not this year.

Mario KArt is like the biggest selling stand alone game of all time and its king of local multiplayer. It will definitely sell systems. The hardcore will sold once they see the e3 titles and the Wii U price cut.

teigaga said:

It will definitely be a strong winter provided you a ninty fan. Windwaker and MArio kart will provie the commercial push and allow it to reach out casuals. Most of the rumoured titles will be coming out in the first half of 2014 not this year.

Mario KArt is like the biggest selling stand alone game of all time and its king of local multiplayer. It will definitely sell systems. The hardcore will sold once they see the e3 titles and the Wii U price cut.

Why do these posts sound like the author is trying to convince themselves?  Seriously...

You're hanging the Christmas success on two titles that already exist...one of which has been around forever.  Ask yourself why a casual gamer would buy a WiiU for Mario Kart when he/she already has it on Wii with very simular graphics....  For a casual gamer, they need to have a compelling reason to upgrade but upgrading based on a game you already own?  Thin...very thin.

To me, i'm seeing WiiU like a ship with no captain...where exactly is it heading for?

Around the Network

I'd be very happy with a Mario Kart U + 3D Mario U + Link to the Past II (3DS) haul this Christmas. If the Batman game is really good, I might get the Wii U version if there isn't a PS4 version.

Soundwave said:

I'd be very happy with a Mario Kart U + 3D Mario U + Link to the Past II (3DS) haul this Christmas. If the Batman game is really good, I might get the Wii U version if there isn't a PS4 version.

I don't know...I generally don't spend $400 for one slightly upgraded game, maybe ok game in Link.

Batman is multi and it'll be disappointing...just like the movie.

I think the 2nd half of the year will be be pretty decent, I could see a price cut in August to coincide with Wii Fit and Pikmin, then in Sept Wind Waker comes out, and I think 2 out of Wii U Sports/3D Mario/Mario Kart will release during the holidays will release. And Batman, Splinter Cell, Rayman, Watch Dogs, AC4, COD should do better than the launch 3rd party games due to a larger install base and they wont be late ports.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Salnax said:

*Wind Waker HD

*Rayman Legends

*Batman: Arkham Origins

*Assassin's Creed 4

*Watch Dogs

Not a bad start. But when you look at all the games that are rumored or possible for September and Q4, you get a lot more games

*3D Mario

*Mario Kart 8

*Super Smash Bros 4

*Bayonetta 2

*X

*Shin megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

*Yarn Yoshi

*Retro's Secret Project

That would be a hell of lineup honestly...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

menx64 said:
Salnax said:

*Wind Waker HD

*Rayman Legends

*Batman: Arkham Origins

*Assassin's Creed 4

*Watch Dogs

Not a bad start. But when you look at all the games that are rumored or possible for September and Q4, you get a lot more games

*3D Mario

*Mario Kart 8

*Super Smash Bros 4

*Bayonetta 2

*X

*Shin megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

*Yarn Yoshi

*Retro's Secret Project

That would be a hell of lineup honestly...

It sure would be, but most of those rumored titles will probably be 2014 releases

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.