By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March 2013 NPD Thread! - 360:261k, 3DS:230k, PS3:212k, Wii:91k, DS:86k, WiiU:67k, PSV: 33k

tontus said:

Wrong. According to Vgchartz during 2012 in the US, God of War III sold 314,000 > Gears of War 2 sold 94,000. You're forgetting that the God of War Saga released in 2012 and includes God of War III so many people simply bought that collection instead because it's so cheap and includes 5 games. God of War III has had better legs than all of the Gears of War games and has almost definitely sold over 6 million to date (5.2m May 30th 2012, GoW Saga & GoW Omega collections released since then and a budget essential edition in EU). If the GoW Saga keeps up its amazing pace (160k this year so far) then it will probably outsell Gears of War 2 lifetime. Vgchartz doesn't even track the South America exclusive God of War Omega Edition which included all the God of War games.

God of War: Ascension will very likely have better legs in the US over Gears of War: Judgment which is already decreasing more week vs week than God of War: Ascension is. And GoW:A is undertracked by at least 40,000k according to NPD (creamsugar shared the rough numbers) whereas GeoW:J is only under by 10k.

There are so many God of War Collections on PS3, you lose track of what is where ¬_¬ Anyway yeah, I stand corrected that God of War 3 outsold Gears of War 2 in 2012.

Now for the bolded. Its wrong. Look at the percentage drops YoY. Look at the actual sales. We will use 2 Years, to be fair to God of War 3 where the 3rd Year is 2013.

God of War 3 sold 1.8 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year it sold 455000 units. The Year after, with the Saga, it sold 280000 units. In the 2 Years after release, God of War 3 had shifted ~738000 units.

Gears of War sold 1.7 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 823000 units. The Year after, it sold 365000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 1.15 Million units.

Gears of War 2 sold 2.4 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 516000 units. The Year after, it sold 275000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 790000 units. Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

Gears of War 3 sold 3 Million units in its opening Year (More than God of War 3 has sold LTD). The following Year it sold 372000 units.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

If it was the year 2004, sure. Too bad for Sony it's 2013. World's changed, dude. Even kids don't want gaming handhelds.

People just don't want to accept it with the Wii U and Vita that the mass market has just found different interests, it's blatantly obvious.

What's so special about 2004?

Anyway Vita has so much room for improvement. To think there's nothing Sony can do to increase sales is very ignorant on your part.

Wii U is only in its 4-5th month lmfao. You really calling it dead already? There's so much room for improvement here as well. Even more so than the Vita. Worst case scenario the Wii U ends up being another Gamecube. You expect Sony/Nintendo to discontinue Wiiu/Vita or something?

I don't expect Nintendo to discontinue WiiU, but I am feeling a bit worried about Vita.

They might just discontinue it in the West if the Holidays can't bring in significant sales.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Max King of the Wild said:
If DS is exactly in the middle of the Wii and Wii U then it would seem 3ds is about 235-240k or so

That's good enough for me. Still an increase.

NintendoPie said:
Max King of the Wild said:
If DS is exactly in the middle of the Wii and Wii U then it would seem 3ds is about 235-240k or so

That's good enough for me. Still an increase.

Yup, the pie chart shows about 3x as many 3ds sold as ds'. Worst case scenario it could be as low as 210k which isn't bad at all and still massively undertracked.

Carl2291 said:

There are so many God of War Collections on PS3, you lose track of what is where ¬_¬ Anyway yeah, I stand corrected that God of War 3 outsold Gears of War 2 in 2012.

Now for the bolded. Its wrong. Look at the percentage drops YoY. Look at the actual sales. We will use 2 Years, to be fair to God of War 3 where the 3rd Year is 2013.

God of War 3 sold 1.8 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year it sold 455000 units. The Year after, with the Saga, it sold 280000 units. In the 2 Years after release, God of War 3 had shifted ~738000 units.

Gears of War sold 1.7 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 823000 units. The Year after, it sold 365000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 1.15 Million units.

Gears of War 2 sold 2.4 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 516000 units. The Year after, it sold 275000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 790000 units. Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

Gears of War 3 sold 3 Million units in its opening Year (More than God of War 3 has sold LTD). The following Year it sold 372000 units.

without checking all those numbers but didn't you forget that god of war 3 released early in the year and gears much later? should be plausible then that gears games had higher sales as god of war in the second year when god of war was already much longer on the market before the second year started.

gears judgment will also have this problem in the second year because it was already released in march.

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
VGKing said:

If it was the year 2004, sure. Too bad for Sony it's 2013. World's changed, dude. Even kids don't want gaming handhelds.

People just don't want to accept it with the Wii U and Vita that the mass market has just found different interests, it's blatantly obvious.

What's so special about 2004?

Anyway Vita has so much room for improvement. To think there's nothing Sony can do to increase sales is very ignorant on your part.

Wii U is only in its 4-5th month lmfao. You really calling it dead already? There's so much room for improvement here as well. Even more so than the Vita. Worst case scenario the Wii U ends up being another Gamecube. You expect Sony/Nintendo to discontinue Wiiu/Vita or something?

I don't expect Nintendo to discontinue WiiU, but I am feeling a bit worried about Vita.

They might just discontinue it in the West if the Holidays can't bring in significant sales.

Why discontinue something that brings you pure profit? Sales can only go up from here. Vita barely turned 1. Support will get better. Games will be released, sales will follow.

fmjasinski said:
thismeintiel said:
Barozi said:

and that was 2008. Should've been much higher in March 2006, which is the better comparison, but there seem to be no official numbers.

Actually, I made a mistake.  The real year should have been '07, not '08, as that would be the corresponding year in the PS2's life.  So, the number is actually 280K.  More than 3x the Wii's numbers.  Oh, and the PS2 sold 273K in March of '06 according to this forum post.

And how about total sales comparison at this time (Wii x PS2 in USA)?

Well, according to VGC the Wii has sold 40.9M so far in the US.  Not sure how accurate the tracking is, though.  The PS2 had sold 38.2M as of April '07, according to this site.  Of course, the PS2 was still selling quite well, then.  The last NPD we got for it was April '10, where it sold ~118K, with a total ~45M.  I highly doubt the Wii will be selling 100K+ in 2016 or reach 45M+ in the US.  Actually, I doubt we'll see the Wii still on shelves in 2015, let alone 2016.

Carl2291 said:
tontus said:

Wrong. According to Vgchartz during 2012 in the US, God of War III sold 314,000 > Gears of War 2 sold 94,000. You're forgetting that the God of War Saga released in 2012 and includes God of War III so many people simply bought that collection instead because it's so cheap and includes 5 games. God of War III has had better legs than all of the Gears of War games and has almost definitely sold over 6 million to date (5.2m May 30th 2012, GoW Saga & GoW Omega collections released since then and a budget essential edition in EU). If the GoW Saga keeps up its amazing pace (160k this year so far) then it will probably outsell Gears of War 2 lifetime. Vgchartz doesn't even track the South America exclusive God of War Omega Edition which included all the God of War games.

God of War: Ascension will very likely have better legs in the US over Gears of War: Judgment which is already decreasing more week vs week than God of War: Ascension is. And GoW:A is undertracked by at least 40,000k according to NPD (creamsugar shared the rough numbers) whereas GeoW:J is only under by 10k.

God of War 3 sold 4.5m units according to Vgcharts LTD (not counting any collections)

These could be the actual numbers..from creamsugar

Does anyone checked 2ch thread "■海外のハード、ソフト売上を見守るスレ 374■"? I have no idea how the guy EWaeL+z60 get the numbers, lol.

Hardware 990K(▲32%)
・3DS 230K(+1%)
・Wii 91K(▲47%)
・Wii U 67K
・PS3 211K(▲36%)
・360 261K(▲30%)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

thismeintiel said:
fmjasinski said:
thismeintiel said:

And how about total sales comparison at this time (Wii x PS2 in USA)?

Well, according to VGC the Wii has sold 40.9M so far in the US.  Not sure how accurate the tracking is, though.  The PS2 had sold 38.2M as of April '07, according to this site.  Of course, the PS2 was still selling quite well, then.  The last NPD we got for it was April '10, where it sold ~118K, with a total ~45M.  I highly doubt the Wii will be selling 100K+ in 2016 or reach 45M+ in the US.  Actually, I doubt we'll see the Wii still on shelves in 2015, let alone 2016.

It would be funny if Nintendo reverted back to supporting the Wii because Wii U.