By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Durango details discussed by anonymous source

kain_kusanagi said:

Rechargable AA batteries don't suck any more. Read up on them: http://www.eneloop.info/home.html

I've replaced all my home batteries with Eneloop which last just as long as regular batteries and recharge fast. The keep their charge for years so I always have fully charged long lasting batteries for everything in my life.

While the low-leakage rate of the eneloop batteries are nice, they don't compare to the 3000mAH capacity of top-end NiMH AA batteries.  They have a better recharge life than eneloop XX batteries, and a higher capacity.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:
"Ok, moving on. Have you read the VGLeaks article about the Durango specs? Yes? Good because everything you read in that article was 100% correct. Except, for one tiny little detail that MS kept guarded from most devs until very recently. That detail being that every Durango ships with a Xbox 360 SOC."

This is a contradiction. Why would MS release an Xbox mini that connects to the 720 for backwards compatibility if each Xbox720 has the ability to play 360 games? LOL

The thing about the Durango/360 SoC being used simultaneously is good/bad. The good part is obvious power improvements, the bad part is that it makes building games more complex. I don't know if I believe this part.

Good thing they are keeping the 360 controller design. Bad thing they are keeping batteries. Seriously, its 2013 lithium-ion batteries are cheap.

Next Xbox using Windows 8!?
Good: Can play games published on the Windows Store. Has connectivity with PCs running W8.
Bad: Windows Store isn't exactly the place to go to find indie games or quality apps. This may change in the future but as of now, its a wasteland. Also, having Windows Store accessible via Xbox 720 will only be confusing. Most will probably publish their games through XBL.

Windows 8 running on the next box I only see good.  The fact that Indies can skip the whole 10 grand cert process, the publisher model and all of tha that clunky crap that got in the way of them creating games for the 360 is gone.  They can make their games, and updated them without having to sell a liver.  Just because the Windows store is short on apps now will probably change pretty quickly once Developers head to that gold mine.

Windows 8 Kernel is very stable.  Tested and approved for true multi-tasking which should make moving around the next Xbox UI to other stuff way better than the 360, and faster.  

I actually like the batteries for my 360 controller over how the dualshock has it internal.  I always have rechargeable batteries charging so when my 360 controller starts to flash, no hooking it up to the box just swap the batteries.  On the Dual shock when it needs charging, I have to plug it in and since my cable is pretty short, most times I have to remember to charge it after I am finishing playing or have to wait 15 mins to get a decent charge to continue to play.

As to why MS would release a Mini and also have the Durango with the SOC inside is that the Mini is just a 360 without a disk and the plans to having it connected to the Durango unit was scrapped in favor of supplying Durango with BC.  In other words, MS decided (only if rumor is true disclaimer) that BC would be a competitive advantage and its worth the cost of putting it in the Durango unit.  I would agree this would be a clear competitive advantage and probably will allow MS to keep a good chunk of Xbox gamers.  The Mini probably will be sold and marketed as competition to the Apple TV, Google and Samsung devices.  As the rumor noted, this device is being made by a totally different team so their priorities are probably different.

As far as complexity of having the 360 SOC and Durango current setup.  yes, that does appear to be something MS will need to address but then again, MS has a API layer and if the SOC is treated as any other GPU then the complexity will not be that great.  It really will depend on exactly how this SOC can be used with native next box games.  If Developers can purpose the chip any way they please well, it could be very interesting how games shape up on the device.

I like Windows 8, I'm using it right now. But for gaming, I just don't see how it helps in any way. How does it even help with multi-media? Windows is a memory hog and its the biggest issue with PC gaming IMO.

The DS3 charge last a long time. So unless you have marathon gaming sessions this shouldn't be a problem. I go days without ever charing my control. If I forget, I have others. Rechargable batteries are great if that's what MSFT bundles in.

Backwards compatiblity may make some gamers happy, but it doesn't give them a competitive advantage. Look at the Wii U. That can play al Wii games yet its still selling horribly. That is because people want to play Wii U games on their Wii U. 

The 360 SOC being used alongside the Durango APU is the hardest thing to believe. It's like the complete opposite of what Sony is doing which is a developer-friendly PS4. There's also the obvious price increase this will bring. $50-$100. IMO, this gets them a competivie disadvantage from many angles. Hard to believe.

JimmyDanger said:

I buy my batteries from ALDI!

I had a couple of play/charge kits, that lasted from 2006 til 2009 - and were constantly used (I had a lot of Pro Evo/poker nights before I had a kid!) - but when it came time to replace them - I just used the AA rechargeables I used for my KB/Mouse/Remote Controls. I figured I had enough AA's to go around, and was happy I didn't have to run out and buy some proprietary or self install stuff. I'm glad that it was my choice though - and not forced upon me.

Do a search for 3000mAH AA NiMH batteries.  They're cheap, and they last longer.

Adinnieken said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Rechargable AA batteries don't suck any more. Read up on them: http://www.eneloop.info/home.html

I've replaced all my home batteries with Eneloop which last just as long as regular batteries and recharge fast. The keep their charge for years so I always have fully charged long lasting batteries for everything in my life.

While the low-leakage rate of the eneloop batteries are nice, they don't compare to the 3000mAH capacity of top-end NiMH AA batteries.  They have a better recharge life than eneloop XX batteries, and a higher capacity.

Paying for premium high end batteries is great if you want to make the investment. I'm pretty damn happy with my Eneloops.

Jadedx said:

LOL, vgleaks is not 100% correct, as a matter of fact I dont believe their leak will be anything like the final xbox 720, that was an old concept from feb 2012.

Seems like is possible to change a design/project in one year lol

Around the Network

Well it is an interesting rumor and seems like it would be smart. Not sure if it is true or not and do not really care yet. Games people is what is important.

VGKing said:

I like Windows 8, I'm using it right now. But for gaming, I just don't see how it helps in any way. How does it even help with multi-media? Windows is a memory hog and its the biggest issue with PC gaming IMO.

The DS3 charge last a long time. So unless you have marathon gaming sessions this shouldn't be a problem. I go days without ever charing my control. If I forget, I have others. Rechargable batteries are great if that's what MSFT bundles in.

Backwards compatiblity may make some gamers happy, but it doesn't give them a competitive advantage. Look at the Wii U. That can play al Wii games yet its still selling horribly. That is because people want to play Wii U games on their Wii U. 

The 360 SOC being used alongside the Durango APU is the hardest thing to believe. It's like the complete opposite of what Sony is doing which is a developer-friendly PS4. There's also the obvious price increase this will bring. $50-$100. IMO, this gets them a competivie disadvantage from many angles. Hard to believe.

The OS would be optimized to run on the console. 

The expected battery life of the PS3 controller is roughly 19 hours.  Where as the expected battery life of the Xbox 360 controller is nearly 57 hours.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/02/who-lasts-longest-a-test-of-controller-battery-life/
If you use 3000mAH Ni-MH batteries, you'll get roughly the same battery life (3600mW NiMH vs 3900 mW Alkaline).

Every Xbox LIVE Arcade game, Xbox Original, and Games on Demand game is available Day 1 for the Xbox 8 without any additional hardware, service, or software.

VGKing said:

Not really.
The PS4 has 1Gb of Ram set-aside for it's Operating System, that's enough Ram for Windows 8 right there. - Just don't expect to do much multi-tasking.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

VGKing said:

The key you have to remember is the kernel not the whole OS.  The Windows 8 kernel is very stable and MS has done a lot of improvements to it and is their best work to date I believe.  Forget about Metro and all of the services that MS runs for a PC because a lot of them will not be needed or even used.  Windows 8 is not a memory hog, its an OS used for a lot of different purposes so that's why you have a lot of services in memory.  Actually if you really want to streamline your PC, there are web sites that will tell you which services you can shut down for better performance.

I am not sure how long DS3 charges last but in my house not that long.  They definitely do not last as long as my rechargeable within the 360 pad.  Either way, its still faster for me to swap out batteries then mess around with charging my DS3 with a cable.

For BC you forget that MS has a digital catalog just like Sony.  I know I would like to be able to keep my digital catalog of games as well as my disk based games. I am sure there are a lot of 360 gamers who have invested a lot in XBL an they probably would like that invested available when they move to the next console.  This would be a very solid advantage for MS which they could advertise and gain back mindshare over the PS4.  There is no real counter that Sony could put up against that especially if both consoles are priced the same.

I actually thought about not buying any games on PSN because I will not be able to play them on the new console.  I do not plan on having 6 consoles under my TV so any console maker that gives me the chance to sell my old unit for a new one gets a +

For the SOC, its not hard to believe that MS can do this.  Its how they would handle being able to use both at the same time for Nextbox games.  With Unified memory, its more believable that MS could make calling the SOC no different than calling another GPU.  The API deals with the underneath stuff so it should be transparent to the developer.  You have to realize this is what MS do and they have the best tools when it comes to development so its not out of scope that this can be done.  If the Durango CPU and GPU can access the same memory the SOC works on then just threading your code should allow developers to use both at the same time.

Batteries on a controller? that's so 2005... that alone makes this rumor scream fake.